• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Teachers who DM

KRussellB

First Post
I'm an elementary school teacher who also runs a weekly 5e game. I've noticed a lot of cross-over skills between planning and running curriculum, and running a good D&D game.

Any other teachers out there feel the same?

ProgBard

First Post
I'm not a teacher specifically, but I am a curriculum developer and instructional designer, and I find that the skillsets have a heckuva lot of Vennshare.

(One of these days I'm going to finish my essay "Everything I Need to Know About Training I Learned as a Dungeon Master," if I can find someone who wants to publish it.)

Rhenny

Adventurer
Hi,

I teach English in high school and totally equate prep and DMing to prepping for lessons and running a classroom. The key is making activities that facilitate all students/players to engage completely.

The game itself also helps develop reading skills, vocabulary building, problem solving, visualization, teamwork, and more. Sometimes I use D&D material for class activities. (A few times a year..not too much).

KRussellB

First Post
Hi,

I teach English in high school and totally equate prep and DMing to prepping for lessons and running a classroom. The key is making activities that facilitate all students/players to engage completely.

Yes, totally!!! I think the idea of designing lessons that are accessible to all students is very applicable to D&D. When designing encounters, I'm thinking of how each character, and each player will find an entry point.

I also find that the creative itch that D&D scratches is also scratched when I'm creating and implementing curriculum. There's just something about creating material that will be instantly interacted with, either by a player or by a student!

fromthe1980s

First Post
I'm a geography professor. I just starting trying DnD play-by-post and I've thought that perhaps I could somehow integrate the method into a world regional geography course. I mean, I thought I could have the students be the DM while I act like an "explorer." I'd ask questions about the places I'm visiting and they'd have to explain to my character concepts and terms that are important in the course. I'd like to avoid having several dozens solo pbp games per class, since that would be a ton of work. I've not thought of a way to combine several student DMs into a single thread. Any ideas?

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
I lecture and run a session for certain students along side a game design elective, where I use it to both have a great time and to explore campaign/experience design with them. They're from the architecture/visual communication/software engineer students, so a good spectrum of players. One side gets systems (coders), the other gets the idea of designing an 'experience' for an audience (vis.com/architects). Lots of fun, and a great grab bag of skill sets.

I spent a few months running a d&d game with some primary school language students as well, using an interactive whiteboard. Play took the form of a giant dungeon crawl, with the younglings deciding in groups where the character went next - and how they reacted when faced with challenges. I had other teachers popping their heads in to see what all the noise was about!

Remove ads