• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Tee ball bat: Weapon stats?

Puxido

First Post
Please read before you reply:

If you follow my posts, you know I enjoy adding new weapons into the game (like the Claymore and the irish blackthorn). If you follow these posts, you probably know I have made a post in the past about baseball bats http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...eball-bat-be-considered-a-greatclub-or-a-club and I have stuck with Tovecs solution:
"A Baseball Bat is about 3* feet in length, making it too large to use in one hand without special training; thus, it is an martial weapon. A character can use a Baseball Bat two-handed as a simple weapon."

"Baseball bat" 1d8(m), 1d6(s), Crit: x2, Type: Blgn

So, I was going through the mall today looking for last minute gifts to give to my niece (who is four), and I knew that her father had gotten her into golf, and I saw some T-ball bats, and I thought that might be something nice to get her into, but then everybody told me she was too young for any sort of baseball-like sport. I started to look at the bats and it occurred to me, they had most of the benefits of a baseball bat, and was much lighter, and if I lived in a bad neighborhood (thankfully I don't), I'd keep one of these next to my bed. So, I started to question: Knowing the stats I keep for baseball bats, what would be the stats for this lighter variant T-ball bat? Since the community helped me before, I think they would be the best ones to answer this offspring question, so whats your opinion?

Wicht

Hero
Hrm, personally, I would have made a baseball bat have the stats of a masterwork club, and the t-ball bat would just be the small size version of the same. Alternately, I would make it a masterwork club with a 19-20 critical threat range.

Puxido

First Post
Hrm, personally, I would have made a baseball bat have the stats of a masterwork club, and the t-ball bat would just be the small size version of the same. Alternately, I would make it a masterwork club with a 19-20 critical threat range.

Hmm, That might work for the Tee ball bat. I'm not arguing with you, just wondering.... why does everybody just make modern weapons Masterwork variants of old world weapons? I know our materials and methods have improved, but I also don't see why "Modern" equals "Better". Seems a lot of people think that.

Wicht

Hero
Hmm, That might work for the Tee ball bat. I'm not arguing with you, just wondering.... why does everybody just make modern weapons Masterwork variants of old world weapons? I know our materials and methods have improved, but I also don't see why "Modern" equals "Better". Seems a lot of people think that.

I wouldn't do that with all weapons. Swords like you might by at the mall for instance certainly don't qualify. But a club is a very simple sort of weapon and baseball bats are just very well balanced clubs, almost the epitome of clubishness. :)

Puxido

First Post
I wouldn't do that with all weapons. Swords like you might by at the mall for instance certainly don't qualify. But a club is a very simple sort of weapon and baseball bats are just very well balanced clubs, almost the epitome of clubishness. :)

I know, mall swords are crap (I study metallurgy, one time some guy on the forums tried to tell me you don't temper metal for swords, and that harder metals weren't sharper. I could have made a a whole page just filled with a rant, but I felt it wouldn't be wise to argue with somebody who clearly doesn't know about the subject matter, but thinks he does.), but when I said modern weapons, I didn't mean modern methods of making older weapons like swords, I meant modern weapons/tools of the modern time like bats, cricket bats, golf clubs, machete (which I would use as just a shortsword, or some sort of light weapons), sledgehammer, so on so forth. I could see how somebody would make a sledgehammer a greatclub (wouldn't make it that myself, I would probably make it a custom weapon with the same stats but possibly a different crit chance and the blocking special, and maybe trip), but I wouldn't consider it a masterwork greatclub. Maybe if it had an African ebony handle with a head that had some sort of scifi vibro absorber in the head, then maybe. If I considered a baseball bat a great club (which I don't, I think Tovec had the best way of handling it personally), I wouldn't make it masterwork, I don't see how a aluminum club counts as masterwork, and if its wood, its the same as another greatclub. I could see it as being masterwork if it were the http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/92BS/BROOKLYN_SMASHER.aspx , than yeah, that's a masterwork product, but your common baseball bat is not at all masterwork in my personal opinion .
I agree that a teeball bat could work as a club (but I think light mace works better, but idk), but I don't see any reason for it being masterwork, for the reason I follow, #1: I could get one at Target for $15.09, and it would be a aluminum, hollow tee ball bat that wouldn't be any better at causing damage than any other club, but if it were made from heavy-grade polypropylene (I'm a fan of Cold steel, sorry), ebony, or walnut, then yeah, its harder/or superior to the lesser product. One homebrew I've come up with is a special material Titanium: Titanium in metal weapons makes it a +5 masterwork item, but has the fragile condition when up against heavily armored foes.

Wicht

Hero
Masterwork does not cause something to do more damage, it makes it easier to wield, granting a +1 to hit.

Your normal club is just a stick of wood. A baseball bat is an elegant, well balanced lever designed to be swung with ease and applying a maximum amount of impact in a minimal space. You can swing it one handed or two; and that little knob on the end is just pure genius. Price has nothing to do with it, nor material - its all about how well put together it is for masterwork, and a baseball bat is a pretty well put together club.

My main quibble with Tovac's writeup is that the damage is too high, imo. The 1d6 works better. If you did want to distinguish it from a simple club but did not want to make it masterwork, then like I said, increase the crit range to 19-20. But for ease, I still think that just making it a masterwork club is the easiest way to run it.

Now on the other hand, take your sledge - thats a lousy sort of weapon... it's too heavy, it's off balance, and it's hard to use. It wouldn't be masterwork at all, but would be an improvised weapon imposing a -4 penalty. A machete likewise is not normally balanced for attack, its balanced for chopping, and there is a difference. One has to actually ask one's self, as a designer and a dm, how easy are these things actually to use as weapons. For many of them, if they are not meant to be weapons, then improvised weapon is going to be the way to go...

Wicht

Hero
Reading your other thread on baseball bats from November, I would also add that normally, in Pathfinder, weapons do not change damage based on 1 handed or 2 handed; rather when using a 1 handed weapon, like a bat, with two hands, your strength modifier is increased. Thus a bat (club) used in 2 hands should do 1d6 + 1.5 STR Modifier.

Remove ads