• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Teleportation Question

Aethas

First Post
I just have a quick question concerning grabs and teleportations. If a monster grabs me, then teleports, do I teleport with it and continue to be grabbed? This came up in a recent game session and I'm just wondering how it should play out. (The DM ruled that I do teleport with the creature and remain grabbed, if anyone was wondering.)

Mort_Q

First Post
Without knowing what monster was involved it's hard to say. I don't think there is anything in the general teleportation rules about it, so it would be down to the specifics of the power used.

I would assume that if I wanted the NPC to do that, I'd give it the power to do that. They don't follow the same rules as PCs.

Kingreaper

Adventurer
A grab ends if you cease being in grab range of the person, whether you do so by walking, teleporting, shifting, being pushed, pulled or slid or any other means.

Unless you use a power that allows you to move someone you have grabbed with you.

But I'd side with the GM on this one despite that. A monster that can grab, and can teleport, should be able to teleport while grabbing. Because that's cool. :p

Knowme

First Post
But I'd side with the GM on this one despite that. A monster that can grab, and can teleport, should be able to teleport while grabbing. Because that's cool. :p

I believe the OP is talking about a situation where he is grabbed and attempts to teleport out of it.

Aethas

First Post
The monster had simply grabbed me as per the usual grab rules. The next turn, with me still grabbed, he teleported as a move action (he had a move speed of teleport 6). Hope that clarifies the situation a bit.

fba827

Adventurer
The monster had simply grabbed me as per the usual grab rules. The next turn, with me still grabbed, he teleported as a move action (he had a move speed of teleport 6). Hope that clarifies the situation a bit.

Using the grab rules, a successful grab immobilizes the target.
Thus, the rules of grab, any specific rules in the monster's stat block, as well as ways to end an immobilize all come in to play here.

There is recognition of the grabbed target being able to escape a grab by using a teleport, but not much is said about the grabber teleporting.

But then there is the reference that if either the grabber or the target move out of the grabbers reach then the grab ends.

As a side point, if a mount teleports, it does not take its rider with it unless the specific mount's power says so.

Having said all that, i'm inclined to say that by the general rules, a grabber teleporting would infact not take the victim with it.

However, a) that specific creature's power description may have had an exception in it that allowed it to teleport like that (since several creatures, especially lurkers that grab have special exceptions that allow them to do extra things with a grabbed target), and b) I see nothing wrong with the DM saying that specific individual monster was able to do it because, frankly, it does make for a cool effect to grab someone and teleport away and still isn't terribly game breaking presuming it was just an encounter power rather than atwill.

(this is all just my opinion based on what i -remember- i may in fact be remembering something wrong in which case i reserve the right to amend my opinion later ;) )

Scalding

First Post
Per the PHB, I'd allow the teleporting enemy to take the character if he succeeded in a Strength check:

PHB said:
MOVE A GRABBED TARGET: STANDARD ACTION
Strength Attack:
Make a Strength attack vs. Fortitude. Do not add any weapon modifiers.
Hit: Move up to half your speed and pull the grabbed target with you.

In this way he could teleport 3 while grabbing another character.

Also, some monsters that teleport specifically say they cannot teleport with grabbed enemies, which indicated to me that it is generally possible. I noticed this just the other day, and it struck me as an interesting thing. I'll edit this post if I find it again so that you can have an example.

cdrcjsn

First Post
I'd say no.

Teleportation is a special form of movement, not regular movement and I think Grab specifies Tactical Movement rather than any form of move or move action (moving a grabbed target requires a Standard action).

In any case, moving by grab specifies that you move the target by a pull, which isn't really covered by a Teleport.

Jhaelen

First Post
There's no way to tell without knowing what kind of monster it was. I definitely know of several kinds of demon that have such an ability.

Monster powers are not bound by general power rules. If a monster can do something it doesn't mean that a pc could ever do it nor does it constitute the basis for a general rule.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'd say yes, 'cause it's awesome. Which really isn't a rules answer, but gives you an idea of which way I lean on corner cases like this one.

Similarly, I'd allow a teleporting PC to do it as well.

Remove ads