D&D 5E Television ball

abe ray

Explorer
This crystal ball when thrown at foes traps them in a DANGEROUS television show for 25 hours, if they survive then they are released and can’t be trapped again for the same amount of time that they were trapped! I’m just not sure if it should be rare or just uncommon.
If it’s used in version 3.5 what spells & cost would be appropriate?

Dausuul

Legend
Well, setting aside the television aspect and focusing purely on the mechanics, it's basically a maze spell with a 25-hour duration. A reusable item that can cast maze once per day would have a recommended price of 43,200 gp in 3E. Don't know how you would adjust that for the higher duration, though. Does it grant a save?

It's something that might be used against the players once.

It's not something I would ever let the players use against foes, since you then have to recount the monsters' adventures whilst the PCs sat and watched them.

And it would get old very quickly if it happened to players more than once.

So the rule of fun dictates that there is only one such item in the game. Therefore it's rarity is Unique.

jasper

Rotten DM
I saw this on Netflix. The players know they trapped and slowly uncover their powers. At end, it is revealed they are plugged into a game show vs another group.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Someone has been watching Stay Tuned. Or maybe that one episode of Supernatural with Gabriel.

Anyways, as others have pointed out, this isn't really appropriate for the players to have. This is more a plot device that can lead to the start of an adventure or even a whole campaign.

Remove ads