• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me about Grippli or Thri-Kreen or Myconids in your World

Mapleaxe

First Post
In Goteth, my homebrew world, Thri-Kreen are a secretive, hidden race that inhabits the interior of the trackless Igon Wastelands. They are led by a powerful druid who they say is one with the desert. Extremely territorial, they generally try to slay anyone who wanders too far into the desert, knowing that survivors telling tales of mantis men may draw unwanted attention. I use the psionic rules, though actual psion thri-kreen are rare--most are either ranges or druids.

One exception to this was a LG thri-kreen monk who inhabitted the nearby kingdom of Cyranth (the setting of my first 3E campaign) where, heavily disguised as a leper, he aided the downtrodden.

Grippli are one of the many reptile and amphibian races that I used to populate the jungle setting in my current campaign. Unlike most of them, however, the grippli are actually friendly with the mammalian jungle tribes. My players haven't had any contact with them, however.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
diaglo said:
i think i played that one too. :eek:

and i gained a mount named Yoshi or something similar. it was a solo adventure for my paladin.

Yes it was a very popular module in its day (well at least the third edition - the original would be a bit lame by modern standards:D)

Sargon the Kassadian said:
Anyone have them statted out for +0 ECl as a player race, maybe without the four arms or psionics?

If the kreen doesn't have four arms, then it's not a thri-kreen, tohr-kreen, zik-chil, zik-trin or anything even resembling a kreen. There is simply no way to write up a balanced kreen at +0 ECL.

Sialia

First Post
So, this one time, the party sent a pair of scouts over a ridge to check out an encampment of Thri-kreen, and only one of the scouts came back. When the party asked where the other one was, the remaining scout said "Dead."

And when the party immediately cried out "How did he die?" the scout answered:
"Quickly."

Sialia

First Post
Also--later--different game--with apologies to ABBA:

"You are a big thri-kreen,
Strong and swift and extremely mean.
You can breed, you can thrive, living in group-minded hive, oh-ohh
. . . . Watch me squirm, watch me scream
First you eat my liver then you eat my spleen, oh yeah . . ."

There was more of that once, but that's probably enough to give you an idea.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
When I was writing up a campaign setting in which the player races were all reptilian, I decided I wanted to have an insectile race. I looked through my resources, and found the thri-kreen. I found that they were listed as "usually chaotic neutral". I asked myself, "what can a chaotic neutral society of bugmen be like?"

This is the answer:

Thri-kreen are unpredictable intelligent mantids that relish wreaking havoc. Thri-kreen
resemble tall, bipedal insects, with sharp mandibles and four arms. Their exoskeletons are the color of the sand and rocks they live in, and it can change colors at will to become an even more perfect disguise. They are tall and lean; on average, they stand 6 feet tall and weigh 130 pounds. Their average lifespan is around 60 years. They eat whatever they can catch, including even kobold and asabi children. Thri-kreen speak Thri and Asabi, and some speak a smattering of Drakon.

Thri-kreen share the Burning Wastes with the asabi and Larepah with the raptors, although they aren’t particularly fond of either race. They are paranoid of the asabi as a result of their recently ended war, and keep a standing army. They do not trade with any other species, but will raid caravans in order to obtain goods. The kobolds have expressed interest in the thri-kreen’s skills in crafting crystal, which the thri-kreen can fashion into beautiful and deadly weaponry.

Thri-kreen society is alarmingly chaotic; the ruler of each tribe alternates daily, and each member of a tribe rule at least once a month, even children who can’t talk yet. Thri-kreen military hierarchy is slightly stricter, as it is composed of members from many disparate tribes. The !Shekerak! (Thri for “Grand General”) is always in charge, but the rank of an individual is dependant on the phase of the moon, the time of the sunset, what plants are in bloom, the individual’s age, height, weight and birthmarks and whether or not the !Shekerak! likes the individual. The standing army doesn’t actually do too much; it just organizes especially complicated raids on caravans or asabi settlements. The thri-kreen have an interesting way of raiding caravans. They always replace the stolen goods with something else, preferably something offensive to the race getting the shipment. For example, they will replace goods heading for the asabi with sand and rocks, or replace raptor imports with weaponry. The behavior of individual thri-kreen is exceedingly chaotic, but no thri-kreen ever commit crimes against other thri-kreen or are bothered by said behavior. Kobold sages have speculated on the existence of a thri-kreen hivemind, but most have rejected this as far-fetched.

I apologize for the length, but it's taken from my Campaign Manifesto. And you asked...
Demiurge out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads