• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me about Grippli or Thri-Kreen or Myconids in your World

:D Im Running all of them in my campaign world, I think, and need some feedback on the racial stats (if anyone runs them as +0 ECL or as 1st level races) and the cultures or physical differences you guys have given these races in your settings. I hope I get some for myconids, but hey, its EN WOrld! :p

Fast Learner

First Post
I had a pretty large dungeon where myconids and grimloks were living in symbiosis. Worked pretty well. Myconids were truly alien, thinking about the world in terms of the energy released by rotting material, and considered living beings to be pretty uninteresting, unless threatened.

der_kluge

Adventurer
In my last campaign, the party met a steam gnome (from Bluffside) and a myconid traveling together who were trying to kill chaos beasts that were invading their home.

In the same campaign, the party befriended a small tribe of Gripplis who had been mostly vanquished by some roaming Slaad that were crawling all over the continent.

The Gripplis led simple lives, and had shamans which I statted as clerics, and lived in huts in trees, and at the bases of trees. The Slaad pretty much wiped the village out, so the only ones that were left were a group of about a dozen or so.

Stat-wise, both creatures were per the MM and ToH guidelines.

diaglo

Adventurer
Read the Story Hour in my sig. :D

during the first party's adventure into the Forge of Fury... our DM, Olgar Shiverstone, added a small Myconid colony.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I have used myconids in my campaign - you can read a bit involving them in the storyhour in my sig too.

Key features of my myconids:

a) they all spoke at the same time, saying the same thing (only those who had failed the save vs the communication spores could understand what they were saying)

b) they couldn't concieve of the idea of things having individual identities outside the group identity.

c) They were keen to invite outsiders to join their commune

DMH

First Post
Way back when (1st ed) I used Thri-kreen as I saw them- giant grasshoppers. They were living mowers that consumed fields of grass (inc grains) in a matter of weeks and were considered vermin by the agronomistic peoples (is that even a word?). When the food supply was low they turned into a locust form (increased HD and AC).

Grippli, grung and bullywugs are the frog peoples of a no human campaign I developed over on alternity.net. The grippli are nomads that try to avoid most of the frogs, birds and reptiles that make up the population of that world.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
heheh... i'd like to run a game where the PHB races are not so dominant, and in so doing i would use races like these a lot more. ;)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I once used a sewer full of Myconids (replete along with a few pipes that the PCs could climb) that were indestructable unless you bounced on their heads - twice! -the first time you bounced on their heads they would shrink down to a foot high, the second time they went squish. By defeating them the PCs got a pair of magic hammers.

(other nasties included turtlemen, crocs, ba-bombs etc)

The BBEG was a giant Turtle-man (I forget the race name) who had kidnapped the princess. His shell was impervious to all damage except for that caused by the magic hammers (which also cast 'earthquake' with slammed against the ground)

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
Tonguez said:
I once used a sewer full of Myconids (replete along with a few pipes that the PCs could climb) that were indestructable unless you bounced on their heads - twice! -the first time you bounced on their heads they would shrink down to a foot high, the second time they went squish. By defeating them the PCs got a pair of magic hammers.

(other nasties included turtlemen, crocs, ba-bombs etc)

The BBEG was a giant Turtle-man (I forget the race name) who had kidnapped the princess. His shell was impervious to all damage except for that caused by the magic hammers (which also cast 'earthquake' with slammed against the ground)

i think i played that one too. :eek:

and i gained a mount named Yoshi or something similar. it was a solo adventure for my paladin.

3Thri-kreen are slightly different in my world (modified by Thri-Kreen of Athas). Their skills are different (replace Climb with Survival) since kreen can't Climb or Swim well at all.

They get a bonus to Survival in a desert, too.

All are proficient with the chatkcha (they're a bit different, being smaller and you don't need to make a roll to catch them) but gythka are only treated as martial weapons for them. The gythka is different ... less damage but more abilities. They cannot wield two gythka at a time, wield a weapon with more than two hands or wield four weapons at the same time.

They don't have innate psionic powers but my campaign uses psionics and even Hidden Talent.

Poison is slightly different (more powerful).

Deflect Arrows became Dodge Missiles. It's mainly a flavor change.

Remove ads