• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

tell me about Gumshoe games

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
A couple of useful threads:

My thread about how I'm really enjoying GUMSHOE: http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/316942-im-having-love-affair-gumshoe.html

A live play report for Night's Black Agents: http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...s-black-agents-tinker-tailor-vampire-die.html

Personally, I think Trail of Cthulhu is superb, and I think it's the best incarnation of the CoC rules. I like it much better than BRP Cthulhu or d20 Cthulhu.

The way Gumshoe works for General Skills (athletics, shooting, etc.), you roll one d6 and you try to hit a DC of (usually) 4. Before you roll you can spend points out of your skill pools. So if I'm shooting someone, I may spend 2 shooting points, then I add those to a d6. As long as I don't roll a 1 I probably hit.

For investigative skills, there's no roll required. If you have the skill, and you say you use it, you succeed - period. It's great. You can also spend those investigative skill points for bonus advantages. For instance, let's say my PC has Flirting as an interpersonal investigative skill. I flirt with the gorgeous but creepy swamp woman, and she tells me any clues she happens to know. If I want her to fall in love with me, and maybe betray her deep one father, I could spend a Flirting Point, but it's not necessary to learn clues.

The result is a fun, fast system that focuses on mystery solving instead of accidentally dying during standard easy rolls like in BRP.

scourger

Explorer
I can't tell you about Trail of Cthulhu (PC's description of the skills above sounds interesting, though), but I can say that we've had a lot of fun with Realms of Cthulhu for Savage Worlds.
Realms of Cthulhu - Reality Blurs
Pinnacle Entertainment Group | Savage Worlds
It has an option for pulpy play that suits what you're looking for, I think. Even though we're playing the gritty style, it is more survivable than the old Call of Cthulhu games we had.

karlindel

First Post
I haven't played Trail of Cthulhu, but I have played Mutant City Blues, which uses the GUMSHOE system. Piratecat gave a good summary, although I will clarify that each level in an investigative skill gives you one point that can be used during an adventure (e.g. using Piratecat's example, Flirting 2 would mean that you could use Flirting to gain a clue twice during the adventure).

Personally, I enjoyed the GUMSHOE system, as it eliminates the problem of having an investigative adventure come to a halt because the PCs all fail a notice/research/etc check and fail to find the crucial clue that leads to the rest of the adventure.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
It took me two tries to really "get" GUMSHOE. I first ran an Esoterrorists scenario years ago, and I definitely didn't have a handle on the game's pacing. Also, my adventure was kind of crap, but that's my fault. Since then I've run Ashen Stars about nine times and Night's Black Agents about five, and we start our new Ashen Stars game this Wednesday. I'm incredibly excited.

One of the reasons for this is that the game rules have evolved and improved with each new book. I think Mutant City Blues (a superhero game where you're police detectives figuring out superpowered crime) was the first game to really get them right, and then Trail of Cthulhu nailed them. ToC also has fabulous support in the form of many VERY good adventures.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads