Tell me about Jeremiah.

uv23

First Post
So I saw this seris available for sale at Ballbuster today for $70, but it's not available for rent. I know nothing about the series but am a huge B5 fan. So, if I can't find it for rent anywhere, is it worth buying? Thanks. :)

Elf Witch

First Post
uv23 said:
So I saw this seris available for sale at Ballbuster today for $70, but it's not available for rent. I know nothing about the series but am a huge B5 fan. So, if I can't find it for rent anywhere, is it worth buying? Thanks. :)

Well I think so it is one of my favorite shows. It has a good cast and a strong storyline. It has a lot of mysteries that build through the entire first season.

uv23

First Post
Elf Witch said:
Well I think so it is one of my favorite shows. It has a good cast and a strong storyline. It has a lot of mysteries that build through the entire first season.
Can you give me a brief synopsis? I don't even know what it's about. The presence of Luke Perry seemed very odd to me. :) Is this an ongoing show or is it over already?

LightPhoenix

First Post
Jeremiah airs on Showtime here in the States. It's in an odd sort of limbo now - JMS (who wrote Babylon 5) wrote both the first and second seasons. However, Jeremiah's future looks grim - they only aired half the second season here (though the other half was aired elsewhere). JMS had a large fight with MGM (Showtime's parent company) because they were pushing for him to make changes they thought would increase ratings. JMS is notoriously unwilling to compromise with netowrk executives, for better and worse, and he left the show. It's unknown if the second half of the second season will air on Showtime, or if the show will be renewed.

Jeremiah is the story of two people in a post-apocalyptic society in which a virus killed every person above the age of adolescence. The show takes place fifteen years after this event (The Big Death) in what was once the United States, where the show's title character, Jeremiah (Luke Perry) runs into Kurdy (Malcolm Jamal-Warner) and eventually the pair end up at a place called "The End of the World", also known as Thunder Mountain. The first season explores Jeremiah and Kurdy's friendship, past, and the origins of the Big Death. The second season continues with Jeremiah, Kurdy, and Thunder Mountain struggling to create their dream of a coalition of groups.

The show is based off of a graphic novel of the same name by an author I can't recall the name of, though his name is in the title credits. I'm not sure how closely it follows the source material other than the premise of the Big Death, but you could gie that a read as well.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
LightPhoenix said:
Jeremiah ...is based off of a graphic novel of the same name by an author I can't recall the name of, though his name is in the title credits.
A little 'net research;

The author is a Belgian artist named Hermann Huppen. Amazon has two of the 20-someodd graphic novels in stock; these are apparently adaptations, rather than straight translations but I can't find any other sources right now. The two books are Jeremiah: Gun in the Water , and Jeremiah: Mercenaries.

Some interesting tidbits from JMS about the show:

...the last phrase is correct, in that I have zero
desire to return to a third season of Jeremiah. Showtime was great,
no mistake, but MGM has overall been the most heinous, difficult and
intrusive studio I've ever worked for. I've worked for, and had great
relations with, Viacom, Universal, Warner Bros., and a bunch more.
But I will never, ever, work for the present administration at MGM.

I didn't know why so many other writers had a problem there and never
wanted to go back. Now I do.

..and..

And as I write this, I have two new series in development, at least in
the formal pitching and development stage with studios attached, and
I've barely left Jeremiah.

LightPhoenix

First Post
WayneLigon said:
The author is a Belgian artist named Hermann Huppen. Amazon has two of the 20-someodd graphic novels in stock; these are apparently adaptations, rather than straight translations but I can't find any other sources right now. The two books are Jeremiah: Gun in the Water , and Jeremiah: Mercenaries.
That's him. I've wondered about obtaining the graphic novels, but apparently it's going to be harder than I thought. :(

And as I write this, I have two new series in development, at least in
the formal pitching and development stage with studios attached, and
I've barely left Jeremiah.
One of these, presumably, is JMS's newest B5 project, which all we know is the initials - B5:TMoS. The best guess I've seen so far on the title is "The Movement of Shadows", but right now it's anyone's guess.

Check out www.jmsnews.com for a near complete archive of posts JMS has made on Usenet. It's actually really interesting to go back and read his comments back when B5 first started.

Elf Witch

First Post
I loved B5 and I really like Jerimah but I don't always agree that JMS is right. For example in Crusades the pilot the network insisted on was far better at least it was to me.

A lot of times the Studio is wrong but some of these producers forget just who is pying the bills.

When these little feuds break out the fans are the ones who pay the price.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Elf Witch said:
I loved B5 and I really like Jerimah but I don't always agree that JMS is right. For example in Crusades the pilot the network insisted on was far better at least it was to me.

A lot of times the Studio is wrong but some of these producers forget just who is pying the bills.

When these little feuds break out the fans are the ones who pay the price.
No, of course, JMS has definitely mucked up a lot of times... hell, I think the whole end of Sleeping in the Light is terrible and illogical, not to mention him going back on his word that he'd never be in the series. Then there's the whole Legend of the Rangers pilot, which I thought was mostly sub-par for him.

The problem is that most of the time the suits don't know what they're talking about - they're executives, not writers. They don't want what's good for the show, they want what's good for the station. So it makes it very hard for writers, especially the better ones IMO, to actually listen to them and consider what they're saying. Like I said, JMS is notorious for not listening to anyone - which has burned some bridges for him, certainly.

Remove ads