• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me about Necropolis (Savage Worlds setting)

Asmor

First Post
The other night I went and downloaded all the one-sheet adventures I could find for Savage Worlds, and that's how I found Necropolis (on a side note... wth are there five different Deadlands one-sheet adventures, when all the other settings barely get one?).

I'm interested in it, but honestly the fact that it's PDF only is kind of putting me off... I don't mind buying PDFs in general, but I don't usually think most PDFs are worth more than $5 (or $10 for really good ones with lots of content). The Necropolis PDF is $20.

I've checked out the free preview they've got, which shows a few random pages, and everything I've seen intrigues me... The hierarchy of undead, the different orders of knights, the setting itself...

So here's a couple questions.

1. I've got the Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition core rulebook. With that in mind, if I wanted to print a hard copy of the setting-specific information for players, how many pages would I be looking at? Let's say, I want to print the info on the orders, equipment, edges, hindrances, powers, and any other relevant things I've missed. I'm not worried much about the background, I can always fill the players in on that myself.

2. The one-sheet I downloaded is entirely church-centric, and the bits I've seen make it sound like the church is really the main group in the campaign. How much information is there on the corporations, and is it feasible to have a mixed party of church and corporation characters? Also, are there any other power groups or different character backgrounds I don't know about?

3. I get the feeling this is a fairly black and white setting... I.e. Good Holy Guys fighting Evil Undead Guys, with a tiny bit of grey thrown in with the corporations. To what degree is this an accurate assessment?

Thank you.

SavageRobby

First Post
Asmor said:
I'm interested in it, but honestly the fact that it's PDF only is kind of putting me off... I don't mind buying PDFs in general, but I don't usually think most PDFs are worth more than $5 (or $10 for really good ones with lots of content). The Necropolis PDF is $20.

I think its worth it, but I don't mind paying for (good) digital content. I think the only reason they didn't do a hardback of the setting is because its such a niche product. But I also think they've talked about doing one, since its been received so well (but don't quote me on that - I could easily be misremembering).

Asmor said:
1. I've got the Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition core rulebook. With that in mind, if I wanted to print a hard copy of the setting-specific information for players, how many pages would I be looking at? Let's say, I want to print the info on the orders, equipment, edges, hindrances, powers, and any other relevant things I've missed. I'm not worried much about the background, I can always fill the players in on that myself.

The Player's Guide PDF (which is $7.95, and provides a license for you to print it out as many copies as you need, specifically to give to your players) is 54 pages, and contains exactly what you're talking about. Here is a link at the SW store:

http://www.smithandrobards.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_16_9&products_id=21

For reference, the full Necropolis PDF is 150 pages. The Player's Guide is the first 54 pages of that, which is how PegInc has traditionally divided their product. I'm a big fan of the way they do that, and often buy PDFs of Player's Guides before I buy the product proper (hardback or PDF). In fact, you might very well consider getting the Player's Guide first, and see if you like it, before splurging for the whole thing. (I don't believe the full product comes with the same printing license that the PG does - the full product has a license for personal use, whereas the PG explicitly permits copies for your players.)

Asmor said:
2. The one-sheet I downloaded is entirely church-centric, and the bits I've seen make it sound like the church is really the main group in the campaign. How much information is there on the corporations, and is it feasible to have a mixed party of church and corporation characters? Also, are there any other power groups or different character backgrounds I don't know about?

While most of the information is about the Church, there is a good 15 page section on Corporations, the lifestyle, media, military, different corporations, equipment, etc. There is a also a section called "Dangerous Secrets" that contains all kinds of secrets, including ones involving the corporations. And there were murmurings on the SW board last I read (which was awhile ago) about more Necropolis releases that would contain more information about Corporations, as well other facets of life on Salus.

Asmor said:
3. I get the feeling this is a fairly black and white setting... I.e. Good Holy Guys fighting Evil Undead Guys, with a tiny bit of grey thrown in with the corporations. To what degree is this an accurate assessment?

No Savage setting is black and white. :D Necropolis is no exception. Sure, the big battle is against the undead ... but that isn't the only battle going on. Church orders vs. church orders, Church vs. Corporations, Corp vs. Corp, and don't forget the ever-present Media spicing up life ... in all, there is plenty of non-Undead-centered-intrigue to be had in addition to the purely martial themes and scenarios.

Nailom

First Post
Hi. I guess I can help.

I have the book but haven't run anything of it yet

1. The players part are 54 pages about half of which is fluff but I would give the players everything. A good players guide can really help to get a feel for the setting.

2. Mixed groups of church and corporation characters are interesting but somewhat hard to do. Maybe it's possible for single missions that're important for both organizations but the church and the corporations're on on each others throat most of the time.

From the backgrounds. There isn't THE church and THE corporations but subfractions with own agendas. It's even possible that church forces attack other orders and the corporations fight each other from time to time.

3. See point 2. Their're lots of grey spots, heretics, intrigues etc... going on and sometimes open warfare.

So what else to say.

Overall I liked reading the book. Some points came a bit short others're a bit cheesy / or illogical for the setting and will be changed when I run the game

Asmor

First Post
SavageRobby said:
The Player's Guide PDF (which is $7.95, and provides a license for you to print it out as many copies as you need, specifically to give to your players) is 54 pages, and contains exactly what you're talking about.

I actually saw that, and was somewhat annoyed by the fact that it's allowed to be distributed in print format only... Printing can be expensive. :/

Oh well. I actually decided to take the plunge... I just bought it and sent it to Staples to get printed. Actually wasn't that bad... With a spiral binding, vinyl back cover and clear plastic front cover, came to $14 for two copies. And that's including a 68-cent rush fee so that hopefully I can pick them up tonight. :) I love Staples.

Jason Anderson

First Post
Asmor said:
Huh, that's weird. Everything I've seen about the game says that it's PDF only.
They printed limited numbers for Gencon (and took a few they had left/kept aside to Gencon UK). But it hasn't been generally released in print - mainly because it has a fairly limited audience.

(Having said that, there are signs they might in the future. Nothing is definite though - especially not with PEG's print schedule :) )

Remove ads