Tell me about Savage Worlds

Kunimatyu

First Post
My curiosity's recently been piqued.

How does the system hold up? Is it fun? Are there balance issues between Power-users and non-Power users? Is it actually smooth and fast, or is it about the same as 4e?

How are the supplements - worthwhile, poorly designed, etc?

Masada

First Post
For starters you can download the base rules for free at...

Welcome to Pinnacle's Weird Website!

I've been reading up on it for quite a while. It is a fast, simple system by comparison to 3.x d20, but I've not looked at 4e in enough detail to compare. It looks like a lot of fun and easy to play. More roleplay and less rollplay.

The 12 to Midnight guys are big in to it. You can check out what they say about it on their forums... http://www.12tomidnight.com They write a lot of 3rd party content and are one of the best content developers today, IMO (and I know lots). I can only assume any supplement written by them for SW would therefore be excellent.

Last edited:

Neil Bishop

First Post
Clearly my answers are opinions only:

How does the system hold up?
It holds up very well for a variety of play styles.

Is it fun?
Yep... fast, fun and furious.

Are there balance issues between Power-users and non-Power users?

Generally speaking, no.

Is it actually smooth and fast, or is it about the same as 4e?

I would argue that 4E drew a LOT of inspiration from Savage Worlds, particularly when it comes to minions and the design of NPCs.

How are the supplements - worthwhile, poorly designed, etc?

I've been happy with everything I have bought so far.

Sorry these are such brief answers: I would actually suggest posting both on PEG's boards and on the rpg.net boards for some more complete responses.

Thanee

First Post
You could just buy the Explorer's Edition. It costs like $10 only and contains all you need to play.

Bye
Thanee

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Savage Worlds is not only very affordable, but also very fun. I played in two Savage Worlds games at Fear the Con, and the system just rocks. You use cards for initiative, and poker chips can serve as "bennies" (to give you a benefit). I also love the wild die mechanic. Roll bad on your d8? No problem, just roll better on your d6.

I would love to play it some more. It's probably my favorite non-D&D/d20 system.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Savage Worlds is a lot of fun. It is, indeed, also fast and furious. Character creation is dead easy and you can make tremendously varied characters. It seems fairly well balanced, as well. I've run it quite a bit.

EDIT: The initiative system is awesome and fun. I thought it'd be clunky at first, but it's not at all.

There are some criticisms to be made; character creation is occasionally frustrating (there's a pull to take a full load of hindrances to get the stuff you want), but I've found that can be circumvented by starting PCs with one or two advances. Also, magic is a little bit...I'm not sure what the right word is. You only have a small handful of spells, and other than that there's not much to make you a "wizard;" some sort of cantrip-equivalent or minor magic would be nice. I understand the fantasy toolkits go some way to solving this.

Anyways, I wholeheartedly recommend it. And hey, the Explorer's Edition is only $10...why not, right?

By the by, the Pirates of the Spanish Main book is GREAT.

Last edited:

Inferno!

Explorer
Savage Worlds (SW) is a complete, generic system with just the Explorer's Edition rules. If you want more crunchy bits for a particular genre, they have pdf toolkits available now for fantasy, horror, pulp, science fiction. Companion books covering much of the toolkit info are on the way. Companions will not be direct reprints of the toolkits, but will cover much of the same material.

However, if you like tons of spells/powers SW will take some work, or at least some getting used to. SW uses a relatively small list of powers/spells. These powers/spells can represent most D&D spells with the addition of trappings, but the core spell is the same. For example, by adding trappings the Bolt power could represent magic missile, lightning bolt, ice shards, acid, etc.

I would actually suggest posting both on PEG's boards and on the rpg.net boards for some more complete responses.

Good suggestion. The guys at the PEG forums are very nice and welcoming. While you're at their website, check out the free downloads. As already mentioned (or see my sig) you can get free test drive rules. They also have a free fantasy download containing fantasy races, a few setting rules and an adventure.

You could just buy the Explorer's Edition. It costs like $10 only and contains all you need to play.

It is quite the bargain. Don't wait too long, because the next print run will increase the price to about $20.00.

beldar1215

Explorer
I love the system. I run a game at a local game store for a group of kids and have found the system to work great for them. I've also run it for a group of die hard D&D'ers and they also enjoyed the system. I agree with the other posters, the initiative system is very cool. I bought one of the Action Decks at GenCon. It is an oversized deck of cards with art work from the game.

I have converted my Age of Worms game over as well. I have found it very easy to convert.

All of the people I game with have told me I have a Savage Worlds addiction. I would have to agree with them. I LOVE THE SYSTEM!!!

GlassJaw

Hero
Just started playing a modern horror campaign with Savage Worlds using the 12 to Midnight default setting (Pinebox, TX).

We've only had one session but the players caught on quickly, made characters, and we jumped right into Last Rites, one of the 12 to Midnight modules.

SW is FFF: Fast, Furious, Fun! And I agree on all points.

The various setting books are amazing - I bought Solomon Kane and it's one of the best RPG books I've ever purchased.

I'm also really enjoying the 12 to Midnight horror modules. I checked a couple out because I wanted to run something published to try out the system. After reading through a couple, I went back and bought a few more. They are that good. Each one has great maps and amazing player handbooks. Very high production values.

Because I liked them so much, I decided to run the game in Pinebox and tie a few of the modules together for a mini-campaign.

Check out the Pinnacle and 12 to Midnight sites for more info:

[url]http://12tomidnight.com/

Just thought I'd add that the Pinnacle forums are very good. The community is great and very helpful. The authors post quite frequently as well.

No idea how it compares to 4E. I'd imagine quite differently. I actually became interested in SW after deciding 4E wasn't for me and I wanted a break from 3.5. I've been more than happy with my decision. It's exactly what I was looking for. I hesitate to call it "rules-lite" but it definitely moves faster than 3.5. It still has just enough crunch and tactics to offer deep gameplay as well though.

Last edited:

Asmor

First Post
I've run Necropolis, a sci-fi setting featuring a militaristic church to which the PCs belong fighting the undead on an alien planet, and I've also run a standard swords & sorcery fantasy game using SW.

It ran both wonderfully.

As others have noted, it's only $10 for the explorer's handbook. Amazon's also got a 4-for-3 promotion where you buy 3 eligible products and get the 4th free. So you could get 4 copies of the explorer's handbook for $30-- perfect for a group!

Remove ads