Tell me about your favorite game store

Festivus

First Post
I think I used to go there in its previous incarnation, before it remodeled (and before I moved), assuming I'm getting the store right. It was ok before the remodel, too.

It was called Game Zone before. The new owners really cleaned the place up and added a pile of tables they didn't have before. It was indeed okay before the remodel, but now I consider it superb.

Shroomy

Adventurer
"Misty Mountain Games North" in Burnsville has HUGE amounts of gaming space. The parent store is in Madison, WI and I was treated very well on my two trips in there.

Speaking of Madison, Pegasus Games on Odana Road was my stomping grounds while I lived there. The State Street store is closed now, I think.

Gone, but not forgotten:

My first FLGS was "The Next Generation" in La Crosse, WI. It, and my RA sophmore year at UW La Crosse, opened my eyes to the amazing world of gaming beyond the curiosities and interst I had in my childhood.

Pegasus Games is my preferred FLGS; I play there in a 4e campaign almost every Monday. The State Street store did close, probably 10 years ago. I visited the State Street store almost once a week back when I was in college and bought almost every CoC book released in the mid-90s. Its now a Gap (it first moved to another location within a larger bookstore, the now defunct Cantebury Books).

I'm originally from Onalaska. Was "The Next Generation" the LGS on 4th Street? I used to go there all the time in middle and high school. The only LGS in La Crosse (that I'm aware of at least) is a comic store on Cass Street. Just not the same.

BTW, even though I don't get a chance to visit anymore since my fiancee moved to Madison, Griffon's Books in South Bend, Indiana is probably the best game shop that I've ever been in. Great mix of new and used role-playing games, board games, card games, minis, books, etc.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Sigh.

The best, friendliest FLGS, bar none, in the entire world, closed its doors for the last time in September 6th, 2005. All Star Games was a small little place in Diamond Bar, California, where I learned about pretty much all things nerdtastic. It's where a friend of mine told me about Fallout and Baldur's Gate, it's where I started playing CCGs, starting with Magic, then hitting a whole punch of other ones (yes, even Pokemon for a time). It's where I started playing tabletop games, with D&D naturally being the gateway. Funny enough, it's where I spent a stupid amount of money for the ability to say "I beat Metal Slug 2 on an arcade machine." And let me tell you, that was beyond awesome.

It went through two different owners. It was foudned by - and I don't mean to make this sound like a history lesson - David and Carol Turrietta, whom I wouldn't be too surprised if you vaguely know - they were pretty central figures in the SoCal gaming community, and somewhat known outsider of that, always heading to GenCon and, well, pretty much every convention in existance in SoCal. They were two very, very good people. Tragically, they both passed away, and the ownership went to Larry Boyd, who, I feel the need to point out, is also an overall down and out awesome person.

Unfortunately, the property the store was on - which used to be damn prime property - was hit hard when one of the two major stores in the area that brought in foot traffic was bought by Ralphs, who then decided to close the spot and deny it to anyone else - so their other store in Diamond Bar would have less competition. It devastated all the stores in the area and, it's not without sadness that I say that I don't think a single local store I grew up with is still around. All Star Games being one of them.

It really earned it's place as Friendliest of the Local Game Stores in the world. All the employees were incredibly nice, cool people. They had a wide array of games you could try for free, and were always holding awesome events to get local gamers involved in with each other, for just about every game - tabletop or CCG - imaginable. The owners, both the Turriettas and Boyd, were always active in the gaming community throughout all of SoCal, and for just about every system or CCG that existedm they had someone working there who could tell you about it.

...I miss it. A lot.

1. Game Empire San Diego which is pronounced "Gay Men Pyre," just so you all pronounce it correctly. Fantastic gaming store in San Diego.

2. Mind Games from Toledo, Ohio. Discovered this store in the early 80's and loved it. It was my game store. Apparently, it finally closed it's doors earlier this year. Sadness.

3. There was some great store in Muncie, Indiana I used to go to whenever I'd visit my grandparents that was huge and impressive. I can't remember what it was called though, or if it even still exists, but it blew my little mind.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
This affirms what I thought - I'm not the only one who thinks there are some good game stores out there!

In fact, I'd like to make that point publicly. I'm offering $1,000 in free product to what you guys decide is America's Best Game Store. Please visit the thread below and start the nomination process with your ideas above!

Goodman Games forum: America's Favorite Game Store

Thanks,
Joseph
Holy crap. That's awesome.

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
The first was Between Books. They have been around since the late 70s. It is primarily a bookstore (with a very large fantasy/science fiction section...almost half of the stock). It also is a comic book store, game store and a bit of a "new age" store.

The gaming area is somewhat small. I used to run WizKids games in the back and we were at capacity a few nights with as many as 14 players (which consisted of 2 battles of 2 players sitting on the floor in the corners). The gaming is haphazard because the gaming area is in the store, and we are somewhat restricted to store hours.

Greg, the owner (well, one of several) is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. If a comic book soars in value, he will refuse to sell it for higher than cover price. The RPG and game stock has many old hard to find gems buried. While you won't see a sale very often, you will never see the price above cover price, either.
Glyfair speaks truth. Between Books is awesome, and so is Greg. He regularly brings in Scifi/Fantasy authors to do readings and signings, and does a lot to support local authors, both new authors and ones who have been around forever.

Festivus

First Post
Joe, you really do love the industry. If nothing else, I look forward to reading the nominations to get ideas to pass on the the owner of the store. :)

Thank you for the incentive.

kitsune9

Adventurer
Hi everyone,

One thing that struck me about reactions to my recent post was the various commentary on game stores.

There are definitely some poorly-run game stores out there, no doubt about it.

There are also many well-run game stores out there. Hundreds and hundreds of them, in fact.

So tell me...what is your favorite game store, and why?

Thanks,
Joseph

There is a gamestore in San Luis Obispo, CA which is about 4 hours drive from where I live, but this place is awesome. They have a huge selection of video games, DVDs, music, rpgs (both new and out of print), toys, and comics. I obviously go for the rpgs but you can virtually anything there. They have brand new 1st ed AD&D books to 4th ed. I picked up the old Traveller box set and Traveller New Era Deluxe box sets there. I picked up Tome of Corruption for regular price instead of the $80+ gack price that other game stores and used bookstores were charging because this book had been out of print for a while.

The guy who worked at the store told me that they have a warehouse full of old rpgs.

Remove ads