• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell us about your favourite space RPG and why?

3catcircus

Adventurer
In no particular order:

Alternity, d6 Star Wars, d6 Space (I actually prefer to d6 Star Wars unless the intent is an actual Star Wars campaign), Classic Traveler, and Star Frontiers.

Of them, I like Star Frontiers the best for a quick beer-n-pretzels game.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Traveller/MegaTraveller get my vote. I really like the task system Mega appended onto Traveller. But I also have always like the setting, particularly with the supplemental materials produced by Digest Group Publications. Really great stuff.

dm4hire

Explorer
Alternity for me. I love the system and it works. Just wish it didn't get killed off because of Star Wars. I lived a short but fruitful life otherwise. Though to be honest I sold everything several years ago and then last year got everything back from eBay for $45. Now I own like three sets of some of the books.

pming

Legend
Hiya.

Star Frontiers, no contest.

It's dead-simple mechanics; Roll d100, get low. Stat check? D100, get low. Skill check? D100, get low. Ranged or Melee attack? D100, get low. As a GM, the simple mechanics makes it dirt simple to make adjustment calls on the fly with consistency. That frees up my brain to focus more on the story, setting and other creative aspects of actually *running* a game.

Setting: Humans are not the most populous race...but they are the most prevalent in terms of being the movers and shakers. Humans get along with all the other 'core' races (Dralasites - blobby amoeboid guys with a penchant for bad jokes; Yazarians - hot-tempered, violent 'flying squirrel monkey men'; Vrusk - analytical 6-legged 2-armed bugs). The main bad guys are Sathar - disgusting, psychopathic slime-worm guys. They have advanced bio-cybernetic weapons and tools they use...including a rather perplexing natural "hypnosis" ability to brainwash others to spy, terrorize or otherwise carry out their dirty work (especially when these "spies" are implanted with their bio-cybertech stuff!). Best thing about the Sathar is that they are specifically *not* detailed alot; this leaves it up to the GM to decide exactly how they are or aren't. This makes it easy to run very different style campaigns whilst still being able to use all or most of the info that is presented for them. Oh, and the whole thing is a "not-faster-then-light" space travel setting...sort of. When ships get to 1% the speed of light they enter "the void" which screws with time-space, allowing faster than light travel. However, it takes days and days for a ship to reach that speed. Oh, and there is no 'artificial gravity'. :)

Lastly, there is a vibrant and fairly active Star Frontiers community on the net. You can also get all the SF stuff, for free, *legally* online. There is a "remastered" rules system (typo's fixed, a few minor editor changes, a couple additions, etc.) called, appropriately enough, "Star Frontiers Remastered". I *highly* recommend downloading them. You can even get them in print via Lulu (I bought my group each the core book ("Alpha Dawn") and the space/star-ship book ("Knight Hawks")...and I have 6 people in my group...for pretty dang cheap, really). I also picked up the "Gamma Dawn" book...it takes the Gamma World setting/rules and "Star Fronter'izes" them; something I had haphazardly done back when the original game came out. :) Oh, here's the link: http://www.starfrontiersman.com/downloads/remastered

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Karak

First Post
Fading Suns. After years of playing other games Fading Suns hit me and my group like a god damned laser beam. We got the rules, we loved the world. A mix of Dune, Warhammer, and a couple others games, the world is just insanely interesting. Only Rifts sourcebooks offer me the same enjoyment when I read their background books. Our ongoing game passed a decade a while ago. Still by far my favorite game world of all time.

DanotheSlender

First Post
Always liked Star Frontiers, Mega Traveller was pretty cool once you finished character creation anyway..the Mechwarrior RPG was very cool but a little lean on the actual space travel/exploration..d6 Star Wars, Jedi wookie anyone?? I had another that had some pretty awesome space combat, ship to ship rules, but can't for the life of me remember the name of the game..i do remember my fav fighter ship was called a peacekeeper, there was a heavy fighter class called Gladius...oh and it had the T.O.G: Terran Overlord Government, which was basicly the evil galactic empire...

Game On!!

Remove ads