D&D General Tell Us About Your Gnolls! [+]

Reynard

Legend
So I was curious what folklore said about hyenas to see if there could be information gleaned for inspiration. I found this site.

unsurprisingly, Europeans have some pretty vile opinions on the matter. but I did learn the origin of the leucrotta, so there's that.

African folklore doesn't treat the hyena much better, though. It is just not a beloved animal, it seems.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Spinning off from a tangent in another thread, it seems like there’s some interest in discussing ways to reimagine gnolls as a more nuanced humanoid species instead of fiendish embodiments of ravenous consumptive urges. As a disclaimer, I’m not trying to say that WotC or anyone else should necessarily take this approach, nor am I interested in making this thread about whether or not always-evil species should be a thing in D&D generally. Everyone can and should run their games the way they like, but since there are at least some folks interested in discussing a different approach to gnolls specifically, so that’s what this thread is for.

As an additional disclaimer, I want this thread to be an open discussion. Anyone with ideas about different ways to depict gnolls they would like to share is welcome to do so here. Take it more as a brainstorming session than a “here’s how I think it should be done.”

Third and final thing I want to get out of the way: in the other thread that this one is spinning off from, I mentioned that a lot of trans women identify with spotted hyenas, which a couple people were curious about. I’m not sure it’s really appropriate to get into the details of why here, but very briefly: female spotted hyenas have a particular anatomical feature that a lot of trans women can relate to. You can easily read up on spotted hyena anatomy on Wikipedia if you want to know the details, but it has to do with their sex characteristics, so use your own discretion if that kind of thing is unappealing to you.

Ok, disclaimers out of the way, how do I depict gnolls in my home games? Well, I lean on spotted hyena pack dynamics. Spotted hyenas group together in large familial packs (called “clans,”) of about 80 or less, which are typically led by a female (which are typically larger and stronger than the males), and social status is inherited matrilineally - pups inherit the rank directly below their mothers at birth. So, generally the pecking order typically starts with the largest, most dominant female, followed by her female pups, then her male pups, then the next most dominant female, and so on. Males are typically bullied out of their natal clans when they reach adulthood and move to other clans to find mates, where they occupy the lowest ranks. Of course, all of this is just the typical behavior, as always there are exceptions, and there have been observed cases of clans co-led by a male and female, and even led by a lone male, but it’s relatively rare.

So, what do I do with this information? I take the “extreme matriarchy” shtick from drow and give it to gnolls instead. Like spotted hyenas, my gnolls typically live in nomadic clans, typically led by women, and have kind of an Amazon thing going on where the men are treated, not necessarily as breeding stock, but they are sort of traded off between clans to insure genetic diversity. Though, some men do attain more prominent social positions, if they fight hard enough to achieve and defend them. Also, it should go without saying, but this is all learned social behavior, not inherent genetic tendencies. And since they tend to live in familial clans, there is plenty of room for more egalitarian clans, especially in cases where a man managed to climb his way to the top and then used his power to make positive change to his clan’s traditions and practices.

How about gnoll adventures? Well, as with old-school drow, there’s plenty of room for the male gnoll who became an adventurer as a path to escape his oppressive clan, or the female who rejected her clan’s ways and abandoned them. Another angle I really like though goes back again to spotted hyena social behavior - see, mated pairs of hyenas will generally take time away from the clan to, well, mate, and to birth the pups. So, I am particularly fond of the idea that gnolls have a cultural custom of sending young adults out adventuring, with the expectation that they will meet a partner and then come back with children. Obviously this is a concept that requires a bit of buy-in from players, but I think it’s pretty cool, and can at least be used with NPCs.

Ok, I think that’s going to be it for this post from me, but feel free to ask if you have any questions about my gnolls, and by all means, please share any ideas you all might have, either for alternative takes, or that you think might make cool additions to this one!
That’s fantastic. I’ve always loved gnolls and wanted to make them more hyena-like and ditch the demon angle but never got around to it. Thanks for the thread and ideas.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Spinning off from a tangent in another thread, it seems like there’s some interest in discussing ways to reimagine gnolls as a more nuanced humanoid species instead of fiendish embodiments of ravenous consumptive urges. As a disclaimer, I’m not trying to say that WotC or anyone else should necessarily take this approach, nor am I interested in making this thread about whether or not always-evil species should be a thing in D&D generally. Everyone can and should run their games the way they like, but since there are at least some folks interested in discussing a different approach to gnolls specifically, so that’s what this thread is for.

As an additional disclaimer, I want this thread to be an open discussion. Anyone with ideas about different ways to depict gnolls they would like to share is welcome to do so here. Take it more as a brainstorming session than a “here’s how I think it should be done.”

Third and final thing I want to get out of the way: in the other thread that this one is spinning off from, I mentioned that a lot of trans women identify with spotted hyenas, which a couple people were curious about. I’m not sure it’s really appropriate to get into the details of why here, but very briefly: female spotted hyenas have a particular anatomical feature that a lot of trans women can relate to. You can easily read up on spotted hyena anatomy on Wikipedia if you want to know the details, but it has to do with their sex characteristics, so use your own discretion if that kind of thing is unappealing to you.

Ok, disclaimers out of the way, how do I depict gnolls in my home games? Well, I lean on spotted hyena pack dynamics. Spotted hyenas group together in large familial packs (called “clans,”) of about 80 or less, which are typically led by a female (which are typically larger and stronger than the males), and social status is inherited matrilineally - pups inherit the rank directly below their mothers at birth. So, generally the pecking order typically starts with the largest, most dominant female, followed by her female pups, then her male pups, then the next most dominant female, and so on. Males are typically bullied out of their natal clans when they reach adulthood and move to other clans to find mates, where they occupy the lowest ranks. Of course, all of this is just the typical behavior, as always there are exceptions, and there have been observed cases of clans co-led by a male and female, and even led by a lone male, but it’s relatively rare.

So, what do I do with this information? I take the “extreme matriarchy” shtick from drow and give it to gnolls instead. Like spotted hyenas, my gnolls typically live in nomadic clans, typically led by women, and have kind of an Amazon thing going on where the men are treated, not necessarily as breeding stock, but they are sort of traded off between clans to insure genetic diversity. Though, some men do attain more prominent social positions, if they fight hard enough to achieve and defend them. Also, it should go without saying, but this is all learned social behavior, not inherent genetic tendencies. And since they tend to live in familial clans, there is plenty of room for more egalitarian clans, especially in cases where a man managed to climb his way to the top and then used his power to make positive change to his clan’s traditions and practices.

How about gnoll adventures? Well, as with old-school drow, there’s plenty of room for the male gnoll who became an adventurer as a path to escape his oppressive clan, or the female who rejected her clan’s ways and abandoned them. Another angle I really like though goes back again to spotted hyena social behavior - see, mated pairs of hyenas will generally take time away from the clan to, well, mate, and to birth the pups. So, I am particularly fond of the idea that gnolls have a cultural custom of sending young adults out adventuring, with the expectation that they will meet a partner and then come back with children. Obviously this is a concept that requires a bit of buy-in from players, but I think it’s pretty cool, and can at least be used with NPCs.

Ok, I think that’s going to be it for this post from me, but feel free to ask if you have any questions about my gnolls, and by all means, please share any ideas you all might have, either for alternative takes, or that you think might make cool additions to this one!

Thats pretty much how I do it too, though I have the males driven out earlier (teens) where they live in all male raiding mobs, who the female clans do not allow to claim territory, but will occasionally allow access to trade and mate.

The females are much more stable societies, who claim a hunting territory where they might maintain 3 or so lairs that they travel between during their hunting cycle.

Stormonu

Legend
In the early days of my campaign world, demons secretly influenced a kingdom to wage war on the other nations to subdue them. A great hero eventually beseeched the gods to intervene, and both sides met on the battlefield. Among the demons, was Yeenogh, who faced off with one of the gods. Yeenoghu was gravely injured and hid among the dead. After the battle, hyenas scrounged the battlefield dead. One brave hyena dared to attempt to feast on Yeenoghu, forcing him to reveal himself. As the remaining angelic host moved to capture/finish off Yeenoghu, the demon used its magic to transform the hyenas on the battlefield to delay the host. Yeenoghu escaped, and later learned that some of the gnolls had survived. Impressed, they had survived, ever after, Yeenoghu became their patron.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I love them brutal and animalistic, cruel and violent. Because that makes it more fun to occasionally subvert it… like with my idea of a gnoll life cleric and where cannibalism figures into his theology.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Gnolls featured early on in my current campaign, and I have thought them a bit, but they're not super developed, so I might steal some ideas from this thread.
Gnolls of Artra are not really "hyena people" any more than humans are "macaque people," meaning that whilst they share some characteristics with hyenas and are probably distantly related to them (or related to hydonts really, closest equivalent of hyena Artra has) they are really their own thing. They are naturally occurring bipedal carnivora that in appearance somewhat resemble Terran hyenas and canines.

Unlike humans who are omnivores, gnolls are pure carnivores, so agriculture is worthless to them. They have superior senses and are skilled hunters who live in mobile packs of various sizes.

Gnolls obviously are not "evil" but they sometimes compete with human hunter-gatherers and nomadic herders which might cause conflict. Also gnoll diet is something that humans might find distasteful. For gnolls hunting is a sacred act, and to them it is very important to live in balance with the nature. Thus everything they kill, they will also eat, as doing otherwise would be wasteful and show disrespect to nature spirits. Gnolls also eat their dead comrades so that even in death they may strengthen the pack. Gnolls find human practices of burying perfectly serviceable meat wasteful and disrespectful toward the death.
Oh, I love this!!

Charlaquin

So I was curious what folklore said about hyenas to see if there could be information gleaned for inspiration. I found this site.

unsurprisingly, Europeans have some pretty vile opinions on the matter. but I did learn the origin of the leucrotta, so there's that.

African folklore doesn't treat the hyena much better, though. It is just not a beloved animal, it seems.
A fairly common mythological element is mimicry, sometimes just of human voices and sometimes actual shapeshifting. Might be an interesting ability to give to more monstrous and/or magical gnolls.

Charlaquin

I think in the other thread someone mentioned that their gnolls had an unusually high rate of sorcerer births? That’s kind of an interesting idea.

Remove ads