D&D 5E Templates and 5th edition

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Thre are no actual rules for templates. I think most people just slap on some traits, offense, and defense, then recalculate the CR if needed. There was a thread a while back where a few people posted what were effectively little, quick-and-dirty monster templates:

Afaict, none of those really impacts CR a whole lot, except maybe at the lowest levels. For a quick CR check, a lot of people point to the reference card at Blog of Holding:

It's pretty straightforward to look at your own mods, then look at that card to eyeball the "new" CR.

NotAYakk

Legend
CR rules are easy enough to template, assuming you are willing to handle corner cases manually.

I mean:
Moon Touched
  • Incoporeal (resist everything except necrotic unless in sunlight)
  • Invisible except in sunlight
  • Creatures of its choice who start their turn within 10' take 10 radiant damage
  • Deals +1d12 radiant damage per attack (note: scale if needed)
  • Can teleport as a bonus action 60' (recharge 56)
  • Resistant to magic

We'll assume they don't fight in sunlight. Invisible is worth about 2 CR (attack and defence), MR 1 CR. AOE 10 damage auto hit is worth about 20 DPR. 1d12 is worth 6 DPR per attack. Resists is about 2x HP value.

CR value of template: Base HP/64 + #attacks/2 (multiply if you scale it) + 3.5 CR.

If CR is above 20, halve extra CR.

Adjust Proficiency to new CR.

So there can be a bit of math. But the point is how you give the critter abilities doesn't determine CR; CR is a measurement of the entire monster.

For a moon huge giant crab, I'd up radiant to 2d12 or 4d12 to make it CR 14 or 15 for example.

dave2008

Legend
Kind of a strange question, but how does 5th edition do monster templates?

Is there a preferred model?
Not much officially really (shadow dragons and dracolich of the top of my head), there have been some attempts on these boards though (even my own). I will try to find some links and most them if I get a chance - there were some good ideas.

I have a desire to go back to my attempt and did some brainstorming recently. The idea was to provide templates for 4e roles (brute, skirmisher, lurker, etc.) that would modify the stat block, but not change the CR. If I get back to it I will let you know.

dave2008

Legend
So when you add something new to an old monster, you rewrite the monster's stat block?
You can mostly just add something, no need to rewrite. If what you add changes the CR, then change the CR too, but that is it. If the change in CR affects the monster's prof. bonus you may want to update that information, but it is not required. If you've add what you want, adjust the CR, that is all you have to do.

dave2008

Legend
An example (I have not tested this yet - it is just a concept):

Monster Templates: Brute
A brute is a destructive tank. They typically wade into melee to do the most damage possible. It can take and inflict more damage than its typical kin, but it sacrifices its accuracy and ability to avoid damage. You can make the following adjustments to a monster to make it a brute without changing its CR:
  • add its prof. bonus to its weapon damage on a hit
  • subtract half its prof. bonus from its to hit bonus on a weapon attack
  • Increase its hit points by 5 for each point of its prof. bonus
  • subtract 1 from its AC for every 2 points of its prof. bonus

Last edited:

Remove ads