• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Templates for my summon natures ally

farscapesg1

First Post
Well, Frostburn has a feat called Beckon the Frozen that adds the cold subtype to any summoned creature, and their attacks do +1d6 cold damage. No spell level adjustment, but requires the Augment Summoning feat (as any summoning-improving feat should).

Amazingly, they didn't do a fire-based on in Sandstorm. Not that it's hard to convert the cold-based on to any other element though ;)

Nifft, thanks for the link! checking in from work on a limited bandwidth connection, so I am trying to keep a low profile :)

So, Feat: Spell Focus (Conjuration ) + Feat (Augment Summoning ) + Feat = elemental sybtype and +1D6 damage on natural attacks and +4 to STR/CON ?

Ouch. Thats a pretty expensive chain!

I would think the 'Beckon the Frozen' would fall next to Augment Summoning rather than beyond it.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I disagree that Augment Summoning should be a pre-req -- I even disagree that Spell Focus (Conjuration) should always be a pre-req!

Basically, Aug.Summon grants your summoned critter(s) two 2nd level spell-effects, which cannot be dispelled -- bull's strength and bear's endurance.

I think it would make sense to allow other 2nd level spells (or similarly powered effects) of other schools to apply to summoned critters, in theme with other schools.

E.g.:

Stealthy Summons [General]
Prereq: Spell Focus (Illusion)
Your summoned critters are initially invisible (until they attack). Even after they attack, they are under the effect of an undispellable blur effect for the duration of the summoning spell.

Deathbred Summons [General]
Prereq: Spell Focus (Necromancy)
Your summoned critters inflict Fatigue with each successful attack (as the spell touch of fatigue).

-- N

Nifft

Penguin Herder
(PS: Personally, I'd have the Frozen one require Energy Sub (Cold) instead of Spell Focus (Conjuration) -- or maybe even Spell Focus (Evocation)!)

-- N

Beholder Bob

First Post
A bit of an aside - I dispise the requirment for Augment summons, Spell Focus Conjuration. Very few conjuration spells require a save, making this a near pointless feat...

Wizardly conjuration spells that require a save (from core)
Cloudkill
Glitterdust
Greater Planar Binding
Greater Plane Shift
Incendiary Cloud
Lesser Planar Binding
Planar Binding
Plane Shift
Sepia Snake Sigil
Stinking Cloud
Web

The emphasis on Augment Summons is, naturally, summoning. It also happens that all spells in core of the (summoning) type, have a 1 R/LV duration. Instead, I suggest an alternate feat for summoners: Summoner's Command. No pre-reqs, the pre-req for Augment Summons, The caster of a summoning spell can sacrifice a single spell during its duration, increasing the duration by triple the level of the spell sacrificed.

Hmm

B:]B

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Beholder Bob said:
Summoner's Command. No pre-reqs, the pre-req for Augment Summons, The caster of a summoning spell can sacrifice a single spell during its duration, increasing the duration by triple the level of the spell sacrificed.

Trouble with this is: why aren't you just casting an Extended summon spell?

-- N

Nifft, I like the HD steps you have in Fae-Touched and Frost-Fuzed, perhaps an entire list of templates with an appropriate feat prereq in the same format?

Deathbred Summons [General]
Prereq: Spell Focus (Necromancy)
Your summoned critters are infused with Negative Energy and can be turned as Undead.
HD 1-6: +1D6 negative energy damage to natural attacks
HD 7-11: above plus inflict Fatigue with each successful attack (as the spell touch of fatigue)
HD 12+: above plus primary natural attack drains 1 level (Fort save vs spell to negate)

Stealthy Summons [General]
Prereq: Spell Focus (Illusion)
Your summoned critters are initially invisible (until they attack). Even after they attack, they are under the effect of an undispellable blur effect for the duration of the summoning spell.
HD 1-6: Mirror Image
HD 7-11: Above plus under the effect of Blur for the duration of the spell
HD 12+: Above plus initially invisible (until they attack). The Mirror images are not invisible.

? eh/ this is why I tend to avoid spell/feat creation :)
Much prefer to stick to rules mechanics :)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The thing is, +4 Str / +4 Con is nice at low-levels (for the +4 Str), and nice at high levels (lots of HD = lots of bonus HP from +4 Con). I'm looking to give benefits that are good at all levels.

+1d6 Negative Energy damage is bad. Why? "I Extended summon 1d4+1 Deathbred Fiendish Housecats and order them to attack any damaged skeleton, until all are undamaged." If it can heal a Lich, it should not be easily available.

I don't really see what you're trying to do with Stealthy Summons -- they get blur twice?

-- N

Just trying to extend teh concept into sort of a template for a variety of ..umm.. variations. :)

The Stealthy deal, high HD creaures would start Invisible with a cadre of Mirror Images. Once the critter attacks, the Invis is negated and the Blur has an effect.

Building abilities on each other is easier with simple increases of extra dice damage or more resistance.. harder to do with special effects :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads