• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Temple of Elemental Evil preview

Chroma

Explorer
I hadn't thought of it that way before...

...but I totally agree with you!

NWN could, and maybe even should, become the base platform for D&D video games, with tweaks and updates coming along side.

I know it's not *perfect*, but nothing is.

K.

uv23

First Post
NWN was my most anticipated game of all tiem and my biggest dissapointment. Its boring to the extreme, cookie cutter lame environments, and I can't stand only controlling one character plus a tempermental hechman. What adult really has time to play this thing with other real people, thereby creating a party experience? Even if I did have that kind of time, I enjoy playing a complete party. I am also a huge fan of turn based RPGs - the last thing I want is a clickfest. Thats probably why I loved wasteland and fallout so much.

Anywyas these are all highly personal opinions. TOEE may end up being the CRPG that I've truly been waiting for.

Chaz

First Post
uv23 said:
NWN was my most anticipated game... biggest dissapointment.... Its boring to the extreme.... and I can't stand only controlling one character.... plus a tempermental hechman....
Anywyas these are all highly personal opinions. .

Nwn is a great game. Sorry you didnt like it.
Only controlling one char made it feel more like real D&D to me. Tempormental chars??
What did the npc's running off on their own to fight or check chests or whatever without checking with you first piss you off?? Well guess what, Thats JUST like how other players act in a real game sometimes. They go act on their own based on what they want to do whether or not its YOUR idea of good strategy.
Guess what, I got a big laugh out of it. It reminded me of playing with some anoying people in the old days... ahh good times, good times..
All in all NWN is and always will be a superior effort in the D&D history of computer games. Will something better come along? Sure. But thats just good for us all.

Peace.

KnowTheToe

First Post
I also am glad it is not the same as NWN. If a game uses the exact same mechanics, the sequals get real boring, real fast. I loved Baldur's Gate, but the sequal felt like the exact same game. I applied the same strategies, had the same character choices etc.

I also like turn based games, it allows the handicapped to play. A good friend of mine has CP and can't play many new games because they are real time. It is nice to have options.

If you want, NWN is coming out with a sequal. I will choose to pass it up, others will choose to pick it up.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, I feel strangely outnumbered. I like NWN AND I intend to at least look at ToEE. I have enjoyed every game that the team that is now known as Troika has made, from Fallout to Arcanum. I have spent a good chunk of my free time playing and replaying their games. (In fact more than NWN, even though I like the game.)

There is room for both turn based and realtime play.

The Auld Grump

I too was a little disappointed by NWN. The graphics are great, the rules set decent, but the single player action ... yawn. Same thing over & over. It is great with 3d party modules, but I prefer party-based single player games myself.

IWD2 captured 3E rules better that NWN, IMO, but needed a little more in the story department.

I'm looking forward to ToEE. Turn based combat will be nice, if they manage to capture the combat rules well. Hopefully it won't turn out to be the turkey POR2 was.

Sagan Darkside

First Post
I will just quote Olgar since the "party" line was used a lot.

Olgar Shiverstone said:
It is great with 3d party modules, but I prefer party-based single player games myself.

IWD2 captured 3E rules better that NWN, IMO, but needed a little more in the story department.

Heh, NWN was the first puter D&D game I enjoyed.

All of the party ones were cumbersome and no fun to play- added to that is the fact that pathing was horrible in almost all of them. I would spend way too much time trying to get everyone where I wanted them to be-- instead of stuck in a doorway.

Yes, NWN had the same pathing issue, but at least I only had one pc and his henchmen to worry about.

Oh well- to each their own.

I think I will just give up on these games - they are just not getting better.

SD

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads