Temple of the Troll God

ASEO

First Post
Temple of the Troll God: 1 Just as BAD as Fortress of the Ogre Chieftain.

46 mind-numbing pages of crap

$12.95 that this module had me wishing I had spent on booze instead.

For levels 4-7

This module suffers from all the problems the Fortress of the Ogre Chieftain suffered from. Lame Maps, Poor text, Munchkin encounters and Monty Hall Treasure.

Spoiler City

At least this time they included some monster stat listings in the back.

In this module PCs travel to the Temple of the Troll God. where Afnar is worshiped

From the text:

"Elsewhere in the multiverse, Afnar is known as Abraxas, one of the most powerful baatezu in the outer planes. He is the Demon God of Destruction, feared on a thousand worlds as the blackest of the fallen lords. Here on Elara, he masquerades as something he is not; he pretends to be a chaotic evil god when in reality he is lawful good. The chaotic evil trolls who worship him are easily fooled, but the player characters might not be. If the expose Abraxas for what he truly is, the troll priests may turn on him and send him back, at least for the present, to the outer plains."

WHAT?... In the back it lists Abraxas as Lawful evil, so perhaps the LG is a type O, but what a type O. And would a Lawful deity pretend to be chaotic?...I don't think so, but who knows.

This module is painfully stupid in its encounters.

You come across a 15th level Wizard and his 5th level wizard apprentice who need to be rescued from 20 orcs. never mind that the wizard has a staff of fire and a wand of lightning both with 100 charges.

There is a 12th level rogue listed as CR4

An old women who gives the party a type VII Necklace of missiles if they say they will keep an eye out for her sons

An encounter with 3 wounded trolls (EL9) who flee from you and a wounded Chimera (EL7) which does the same they leave you with Branded male of luck, a flaming dagger with a special foe of monstrous humanoids, a ring of Protection +3, A wand of fireballs (44 charges) and a rod of wonder with 9 charges + around 20,000Gps of treasure. And all you have to do is walk over the hill and yell.

Later there is a sunblade and a luck blade just lying around.

So, you finally get to the temple where there are 80 Troll Pilgrims, 60 Troll guards, 25 Troll priests, 30 Half-fiend Trolls, and 20 Fiendish Trolls.
Fortunately these 315 trolls are spread out through the 32+/- encounter areas. You do the math...

You can enter the temple by going through the front door, climbing through an arrow slit, climbing the outer walls (which didn't make sense to me since the temple is an enclosed structure), or burrowing through the wall.

The interior encounters are poorly described and stupidly designed.

- 23 Trolls lounging around
- 3 troll priests meditating or something
- 4 trolls ripping up body parts
- 9 trolls playing "How many maggots can you hold in your mouth"

Etc...etc...

Now never mind that these trolls are CR5 each. So 2 trolls are a CR7, and 4 Trolls is a CR9, 8 trolls a CR 11. This is an adventure for PCs levels 4-6.

This module gets worse and worse. At least the treasure haul is less than Fortress of the Ogre Chieftain.

Sword +1, Sword +3, Sword +2, Mace +1, spear +1, Staff +2,...

An NPC 11th level bard has A STR 15, DEX 18, CON 15 (she's an elf so has a -2), INT 16, WIS 18, and a CHA 18.

These are probably considered low stats by a DM who would actually run this module.

Well at least the treasure room is hidden behind a secret door and 2 CR1 traps, and only contains Bracers of defense +3, Sword +1, Great bow +3 Quiver of 30 elfin arrows, Magical drums that give all allies +2 to all DC checks and -3 to all foes who try to hit an ally, Great axe +1, Major cloak of displacement, longbow +1, 22 +1 arrows, +2 dwarven hammer, +3 shield, +1 dwarven half plate, +1 amulet of undead turning, Wand of Magic missiles (55) Staff of defense (118 charges) Ring of regeneration, Ring of protection +2, Ring of the Ram, Ring of Warmth, Sword of Subtlety, crystal ball...

OK, so Munchkin Monty Hall it is. Once again, I wrote modules like this when I was 8. I can't believe that a company is selling this junk (even worse that I bought it)

I will never buy an unreviewed product again and I will avoid Fast Forward Games at all costs.

ASEO out

Remove ads