Terraclips Terrain and Terrain LinX Terrain

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I don't know anything about TLX. If they require printing out, though, then it's not for me. I've already bought a few World Works files and tried the whole building thing. I even bought a CIS for my inkjet. But the work is simply too much and without a massive amount of storage space (that I simply don't have), their fragility (the best cardstock I can get is 200 GSM), and the fact that they don't suit my preferred DM'ing style (no, or very little, preparation), just makes it beyond what I feel is reasonable.

The TerraClips are exactly what I want; something modular that I can build on the fly, readily portable and storable, durable, and don't require massive amounts of effort.

The lack of included clips is just a really big turn-off :(
TLX does require prining, cutting, folding, etc - but what you end up with can be used to build terrain very quickly, once printed etc. it goes together almost as fast as TerraClips.

You have floors that have tabs that fit into slotted columns, slotted columns, and walls that have hooks that fit into the slots on the columns. Once the components are assembled then set up and tear down becomes very fast, and the parts can be stored in compact boxes.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEsqxLrlNA0&feature=player_embedded]TLX in Use.[/ame]

If you have already spent money on a continuous ink feed then you might find it worthwhile to get a CraftRobo - a robot that cuts cardstock for you. Recent World Works releases, including TLX, include the files for the cutter. I got mine two years ago at a Black Friday sale for $100. Faster than hand, and it can do the cutting while you eat a sandwich. A CraftRobo Tale of Woe and Joy from the Miniatures Page

The Auld Grump

Last edited:

Kzach

Banned
Banned
If you have already spent money on a continuous ink feed then you might find it worthwhile to get a CraftRobo - a robot that cuts cardstock for you. Recent World Works releases, including TLX, include the files for the cutter. I got mine two years ago at a Black Friday sale for $100. Faster than hand, and it can do the cutting while you eat a sandwich. A CraftRobo Tale of Woe and Joy from the Miniatures Page

Thanks. Unfortunately my CIS system died. I accidentally left the inkwell on top of the printer when I put it in storage for a couple of months. Came back to it and now all the ink has fed down into the printer, absolutely soaking it in ink, which has subsequently dried. In other words, it's totally ruined :(

Tomorrow I'm buying a colour laser printer which although cheaper than inkjet for printing, is not cheaper than a CIS and also not really suitable for crafting (I'm sure you know the differences between ink and toner for this hobby so won't go into it). Screw this inkjet crap :)

I'll probably still end up buying the TerraClips. I just wanted to whinge about the clips not being included 'cause it kinda sucks.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Thanks. Unfortunately my CIS system died. I accidentally left the inkwell on top of the printer when I put it in storage for a couple of months. Came back to it and now all the ink has fed down into the printer, absolutely soaking it in ink, which has subsequently dried. In other words, it's totally ruined :(

Tomorrow I'm buying a colour laser printer which although cheaper than inkjet for printing, is not cheaper than a CIS and also not really suitable for crafting (I'm sure you know the differences between ink and toner for this hobby so won't go into it). Screw this inkjet crap :)

I'll probably still end up buying the TerraClips. I just wanted to whinge about the clips not being included 'cause it kinda sucks.
What brand of color laser? I use my Samsung CLP for cardstock all the time.

Sorry for the death of your CIS.

I hope that enough folks complain abot the clips situation to Wyrd that they go and fix it for the next run - too late for this one. Makes me want to sing a new verse for Lavin's 'What Was I Thinking?' (What was I thinking? Was I out of my mind? I haven't been drinking, life wasn't that kind....)

The Auld Grump

Kzach

Banned
Banned
What brand of color laser? I use my Samsung CLP for cardstock all the time.

OMG! It's a Samsung CLP 325! They're on special for $150 here due to it being the end of the financial year so I figured was a perfect time to pick one up.

It was my understanding that laser wasn't suitable for cardstock crafting because unlike ink, it doesn't seep into the paper, rather it's burnt onto it with a laser. When folding and scoring the pages, the toner can crack, crumble and flake away.

Regardless, the price of toner cartridges and the rate of printing isn't cost effective (for me). Even if the time-sink wasn't an issue, the cost of printing would be. CIS made the cost trivial and I still gave up making these sets.

Matt James

Game Developer
I was really looking forward to these last year at Gen Con. I was bummed when they never made it out! I'm glad to see it isn't lost yet. The TerraClips looks to be a solid product.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
OMG! It's a Samsung CLP 325! They're on special for $150 here due to it being the end of the financial year so I figured was a perfect time to pick one up.

It was my understanding that laser wasn't suitable for cardstock crafting because unlike ink, it doesn't seep into the paper, rather it's burnt onto it with a laser. When folding and scoring the pages, the toner can crack, crumble and flake away.

Regardless, the price of toner cartridges and the rate of printing isn't cost effective (for me). Even if the time-sink wasn't an issue, the cost of printing would be. CIS made the cost trivial and I still gave up making these sets.
Hah! That's how much I paid for mine at a Black Friday sale last year. :lol:

There is a trick to cutting and folding color laser prints, just not much of one - keep the paper warm. Color laser actually uses impregnated wax as the base, keeping it warm keeps it flexible. :)

While toner cartridges are expensive you get a LOT out of them. Price point shouldn't be all that high per page. I recommend not printing at high density anyway - the colors are too vibrant, printing at a lower saturation saves toner and looks better, in my opinion.

I ordered TerraClips for its portability - at home I am going to stick with TLX. But I still think that Wyrd not including the clips was a bad decision. If I had known that was their plan I would have sounded off a lot sooner, now it is... too late.

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump

First Post
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-LLR3uengQ]Unboxing[/ame]

Well, looks like they put a fair amount in a box. :)

I'd still rather have clips with the sets, but it does appear that they put a goody amount of stuff in there.

The Auld Grump

Last edited:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I got my TerraClips in the mail today.

The case was reassuringly heavy.

When opened it revealed reassuringly heavy boxes.

Which, when opened revealed... well, you get the picture. :p

The sheets of card fill the boxes, there really is no room for the clips, so I can now see why they were separated out.

The sheets are printed on fairly heavy card, not a lot of wasted space. For the most part they pop out very easily, the ladders, and to a lesser extent, the stairs are an exception.

Ladders are somewhat finicky to get out of the frame - I suggest leaving the big pieces between the rungs in place, and pressing out the hooks first, in the direction of the die cutter then knocking out the bits between the rungs. (This will make more sense when you see them, trust me.)

When clipped together the resulting build is satisfyingly rigid. I would not put a Reaper Warlord giant on one of the balconies, but would have no problem with a standard metal ogre or troll.

The clips are thick, somewhat glossier than I would like, but solid. Slotted down the middle to make stacking easier. Nudging an upper floor made it pretty obvious that the notches really do help stabilize a build. I kind of want to see what a layer of Testors Dullcoat will do for the shine on the clips.

It really does not take long to build a scene with the sets - it made me want to run Curse of the Crimson Throne. It would work very well for urban fight scenes.

A lot of counters that I will probably not use - I like the Malifaux figures, but have not played the game.

Clipping boards together is fairly quick, but you would be better served creating a scene before hand than trying to build on the fly.

Comparing TCP with TLX... the clips are a lot more convenient, a lot less work beforehand to get it ready for use.

I think that the TLX looks better, and is faster to assemble on the fly.

Over all... they are two different things. If you want to be able to start building as soon as you get the sets and clips in your hands, the TCP is what you want.

If you have a long lonely week ahead of you, and have patience, then TLX has the advantage.

I am glad to have both, but TCP will be a lot easier to carry over to the games, while my TLX will remain at home, and be used for Mordheim.

The Auld Grump

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I desperately want to buy these sets but they're just too damn expensive. From my FLGS the packs are $59 AUD and I can't get any cheaper by ordering from overseas either.

At that price, they're simply not worth it.

Remove ads