• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Terrible sequels

Longspeak

Adventurer
Of all the ones already said, Godfather 3 had to be the longest drop. Godfather was amazing. Half of Godfather 2 was even better. The other half... still good. Godfather 3... huge disappointment.

For mine, Die Hard 4 & 5.

4 was a case of big fall. 3 ("with a vengeance") was the height, and 4 was a another big drop. Then 5? Just kept dropping...

the Jester

Legend
I skipped some pages here, but if nobody else has mentioned it yet, I realized today that Rise of Skywalker is the only Star Wars movie that I have only seen once. And I am such a huge Star Wars fan that I know who Jaxxon is and love him.

But more recently we were talking terrible movies and he brought up Prometheus, and mentioned he'd tried to watch it again, and it hadn't gone well. And I think that's what happens with a lot of people leading to adjustments of opinions - they go back to watch a movie and whoa, it's way nowhere near as good as they remembered.
I feel that the decline in the Alien franchise has been pretty consistent. I loved Aliens when it came out, and I still think it's a good movie, but in hindsight it doesn't really hold a torch to the original.

Alien 3 is passable, and I'd argue rather underrated
Alien Resurrection is bad. (Joss Whedon's fetishizing is also pretty cringey at this point).
Prometheus is incoherent, pretentious bilge
Covenant is utter drek

Ridley Scott is pretty hit-and-miss. He's made some great movies and some...not so much.

Last edited:

I'd argue a similar decline in the Terminator and Predator franchises, although I regard The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Predator: Prey to be partially redemptive.

Last edited:

I can't comment on 3.

But I can!

If you thought Starshiptroopers 2 was bad, 3 has an actress whose lines can barely be understood because her English is so bad. It is immediately clear they cast her for only two things... and neither of those things were her acting talent. Honestly, any scene she's in is hilarious.

Also, the movie barely has a budget. So you can forget about seeing them fight any bugs, in a franchise about fighting bugs.

Last edited:

Remove ads