[Testament] In the Shadow of Sinai

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Tsedeq steps forward threateningly when Amin ben Simeon calls the egyptian 'dog', but his hand is stayed by wisdom - it would not do to strike one who lives within the protection of the camp, even if he professes blasphemy.

As Amin walks away Tsedeq satisfies his fury by stamping a few amulets beneath his foot, grinding them into the ground. When Amin passes by Asenath and Miriam however he quickly goes up beside her

"are you well?" he asks of the woman "did that b@st@rd say anything to offend you?"

Last edited:

"I am not a wealthy man because of my own choices. My belly is so often empty because of my own choices. I am old, and I have made many bad decisions in my life, and I have paid for them in full measure. I do not want to make any more. Yahweh is a harsh god, and worshipping him has not brought me riches, but I witnessed his punishment of the Egyptians and their land when they defied him. All their gods could not protect them from him. Could your god, this Baal-El? I have seen none of his miracles. For I do not wish another ten plagues to descend upon my own children."

Ghostknight

First Post
Looking out at the crowd Avram's fury dissipates. Moses promised to return and he surely will, if not tonight, then in the morning! He sees one of the surrounding Israelites grinding amulets into the ground, and then talking to the women whose child was addressed by Amin.

"Shalom Chaverim*. I am Avram ben Yisroel. I thank you for listening to what I said. Perhaps if more do so, more will reject whatever mischief those heretics are forcing Aaron into.

Yes, many ridicule me because once I was an Egyptian task master, but now I ma just one of the many that follow the one true God. Please listen and do not discard my words because they come from an Egyptian!"

*translation: Greetings friends

Maerdwyn

First Post
humble minion said:
"I am not a wealthy man because of my own choices. My belly is so often empty because of my own choices. I am old, and I have made many bad decisions in my life, and I have paid for them in full measure. I do not want to make any more. Yahweh is a harsh god, and worshipping him has not brought me riches, but I witnessed his punishment of the Egyptians and their land when they defied him. All their gods could not protect them from him. Could your god, this Baal-El? I have seen none of his miracles. For I do not wish another ten plagues to descend upon my own children."
Peleg closes his eyes momentarily and shudders, then nods slowly, skyward. He reaches into his sash withdrawing three golden earrings. "I am commanded to give these over to you, Melech ben Hurai, as a token of Baal-El's blessing." Arel looks at him, stunned, "But - those are --" Hadar hold up his hand to Arel as Peleg presses the jewelry into Melech's hand.

Hadar says, "You see, Melech? Baal-El already blesses you and your family! When was the last time you saw such wealth? If you gave even just one of those for Baal-El's glory, you would still be well-off! But you would also be among His beloved!"

Maerdwyn

First Post
yangnome said:
Caleb, lost in his silent thoughts continued to stare at his grandfather for a few minutes. His mind remained silent and he felt the burdens of his grandfather. Then Aaron glanced up at Caleb for a brief moment and Caleb responded with an understanding smile, one tat showed his support. As Aaron looked back towards the rocks, Caleb turned and walked towards the tent. He had duties to attend to.
As he heads back towards the tent, a young man rushes up to him, his face full of happiness and hope. "Should I give them you you, then, Kohen Caleb?" He holds up a large handful of earrings, brooches, bracelets and necklaces. "For the god?"

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Ghostknight said:
"Shalom Chaverim*. I am Avram ben Yisroel. I thank you for listening to what I said. Perhaps if more do so, more will reject whatever mischief those heretics are forcing Aaron into.

Yes, many ridicule me because once I was an Egyptian task master, but now I ma just one of the many that follow the one true God. Please listen and do not discard my words because they come from an Egyptian!"

*translation: Greetings friends

Looking up from Asenath's side,Tsedeq replies to the Egyptian with a mix of bemusement and incredulity

"ben Yisroel? - I remember you. There was a time when your whip was as quick as your tongue is now, and I dreamed of the day I would see you and your kinds entrails spilt on the ground before me, a dream almost fulfiled when Moses came.

But your words today were those of a faithful son, and I will not discard them nor yourself if you prove true to the One True God of Yisroel - Shalom"

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Tonguez said:
"are you well?" he asks of the woman "did that b@st@rd say anything to offend you?"
"No, I'm fine," Asenath says. "I just... well, I'm not terribly fond of Egyptians, especially their gods." Then she hears Avram's statement. "An Egyptian, but yet converted to the God of Israel? Please sir, " she says, inclining her head, "I hope that nothing I have said here has offended you."

Ghostknight

First Post
Looking heavenwards then at Asenath, Avram replies

" I couldn't agree more. Let the Egyptians and their Gods rot at the bottom of the sea. I am no longer an Egyptian, but one of the Israelites. I left Egypt behind and will not carry it forward with me!"

yangnome

First Post
Maerdwyn said:
As he heads back towards the tent, a young man rushes up to him, his face full of happiness and hope. "Should I give them you you, then, Kohen Caleb?" He holds up a large handful of earrings, brooches, bracelets and necklaces. "For the god?"
"What? What is it you are talking about? God demands no such sacrifice as this....gold and jewelry? "

Melech regards the gold earrings with fear and disbelief written clearly across his face, as if Peleg offered him a live viper.

"Sennadjem, eldest son of Rahopet the cloth merchant, wore earrings such as these. He wore them still when last I saw him, flies buzzing around him as he lay facedown in the dust bleeding from the ears, as I left Egypt after the Passing Over."

Paqad, sensing his master's agitation, ceases his pacing and stares at Hadar and his brothers, eyes glittering sulfuric yellow. The hyena cackles, an eerie, chilling sound in the close, stifling atmosphere of the tent.

"Why do you ask this of me?" Melech asks almost plaintively. "I am not powerful or wealthy - few listen to my words. Or have you offered this jewellery to everyone in the camp? Many will accept you, I think. But have lived with little long enough to know that gold is worthless without meat, water, grain and breath. I remember Egypt; the uncountable locusts leaving nought but desert where once crops grew strong, the hordes of flies battling to feed on living flesh racked with boils and weeping sores, the slow, stinking rivers of blood, and the wailing of parents whose firstborn children had been snuffed out like candles in the night. I remember Egypt, and I am afraid. I will not take your gold, sons of Tzuriel."

Even as he speaks, Melech's heart sinks within his breast. Should Baal-El become the new god of the Israelites, he knows, the shunning that he and Naarah have experienced up to now will be mild compared to the ostracism they face. Those who mutter 'sorceror' behind his back may yet have the opportunity to strike at him with implements more solid than words...

Remove ads