D&D General Thaco the angry clown... really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Hey, on the subject of callbacks in WBtWL, the bugbear wearing a jack o' lantern on his head is a callback to the original appearance of bugbears in D&D.
It's definitely one of the good ones!

Although... are we sure that the bugbear is the one with the pumpkin? :) Could be the ghoul!

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
What osr community? Have you been part of the communities? Because there are groups like OSR RPG that are extremely progressive (their FB background is a hex map pride flag), like 5e, but also like the OSR.
I meant the OSR community in general, which does include people like the RPGPundit. Perhaps I was overgeneralizing, though, for which I apologize. It's great that more progressive and inclusive OSR RPGs exist out there.
What you’re saying is like saying modern gamers don’t like older versions or editions.
. . . Is that false, though? I'm sure that a ton of new players would hate earlier editions of D&D. I know that I would hate using a system that has THAC0, or Race as Class, or Paladins as always Lawful Good. I know a lot of people brought in by Critical Role would feel similarly. Previous editions facilitate different playstyles. I think it's accurate to say that people brought in by different editions and that prefer certain editions' playstyles probably don't like editions not geared towards that style of play.
Again, Pundit doesn’t speak for the OSR
Agreed. However, he is a part of it. People do buy his products, watch his stuff, and post on his site.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Now you are part of the problem, along with everyone on this site.
Mod Note:

Surely there’s a way to make your broader point without lobbing incendiaries at the entirety of ENWorld! Especially considering how long you’ve been here.

If you wan't a decent OSR group go here

And to give it some bonifides, Dyson Logos posts there as well as Pauli Kid and Jayson Elliot and a few others.
Sent in my submission for approval. Course now they will know my Truename, which means a member poorly designed 3.5 edition class now will have power over me. That’s how this works right

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
And Janelle Jaquays, who is the mother of the adventure module, really. A lot of "old school" creators are pretty progressive.
Though in Janelle’s case, those politics were some time in the making. And she owns up to it. But to underscore a point further - nobody’s politics are written in stone at birth and people can and do change. So don’t just look at who they were at a snapshot in time, but who they have been over the long haul and who they are now.

Hussar

Legend
So, consider this: Is it the whole OSR you object to, or part of it?
Of course just a part. Actually, it isn't OSR I object to at all. It's the part who has decided that because of their "seniority" in the hobby, which they display because they play OSR, they can somehow justify bigotry.

Sorry, but, I haven't seen a lot of newer players who insist that pinup art, or racist depictions, or whatnot, are acceptable because that's the way it was written in the past. Maybe I'm just missing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads