D&D General Thaco the angry clown... really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Not to mention the fine folks at Tuesday Knight Games (Mothership, Dissident Whispers), Stockholm Kartel, Redbox Vancouver, Bationland Press (makes of Into The Odd). Bastionland is currently involved in helping to organize an itch.io bundle to help send marginalized people to Dragonmeet for instance.

Hussar

Legend
So, what are you doing to laud the good OSR people?

What is Wizards doing?

Oh, that's right, they're making the OSR movement feel unwanted.
How?

Good grief, how many nostalgia based works do they have to pump out to make the OSR crowd feel welcome? Ghosts of Saltmarsh? An entire AP based around 1e elements? How many call backs to earlier editions of the game?

But calling out douchebags is making the OSR crowd feel unwanted? Good grief.

lingual

Adventurer
Umm... Do you have any actual evidence of this?

edit: I've heard people say the pipe in the picture is suggestive of someone in particular. And since then, the person in question has claimed he is the target... but that's not surprising since he has a clear interest in picking fights with WotC; that's a big part of his schtick, apparently. (I'm not familiar enough with him to know for sure.) Altogether, that seems to be pretty thin evidence that Thaco is really a "personal attack".
That's the story I've heard. Perhaps you're referring to something else?
Probably the best thing that happened to that guy.

lingual

Adventurer
Was browsing Twitter and again saw a post from a newer player about how "anyone who plays AD&D is automatically a red flag and probably sexist and/or racist".

Why I think the Thaco clown joke just adds fuel to a fire that divides gamers as it paints "old gamers" as joyless clowns with bad ideas. Despite what WotC may or may not have meant by the character.
I wouldn't place too much importance on some tweet. My group has old players and new. There is no cultural divide unless someone wants to be painted as a victim.

lingual

Adventurer
How?

Good grief, how many nostalgia based works do they have to pump out to make the OSR crowd feel welcome? Ghosts of Saltmarsh? An entire AP based around 1e elements? How many call backs to earlier editions of the game?

But calling out douchebags is making the OSR crowd feel unwanted? Good grief.
I think part of the problem is that certain people feel a sense of ownership of the game. Sort of a pride to be a player of a game that the general public disdained. Now that "everyone is against us" attitude has little bearing because of the success of 5e. So ppl like pundey will cry "victim" whenever they can now. Almost like the SJW who get caught faking crimes.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I think part of the problem is that certain people feel a sense of ownership of the game. Sort of a pride to be a player of a game that the general public disdained. Now that "everyone is against us" attitude has little bearing because of the success of 5e. So ppl like pundey will cry "victim" whenever they can now. Almost like the SJW who get caught faking crimes.
Mod Note:

“SJW” is pretty inflammatory, and its use is strongly discouraged on this site.

Last edited:

Vaalingrade

Legend
So, what are you doing to laud the good OSR people?
I'm not invested in the OSR or its image. Why should I do anything but confront the bad eggs when they cross my path/
What is Wizards doing?
Bending their game into pretzels to invoke nostalgia regardless of if its good game design? Releasing tons of 'Classic' stuff for nearly a decade?

What do you even want? A whole separate line of OSR products from them when until recently they barely released a reasonable number of books in the main line?

I got left behind with 5e and got NOTHING to pander to me as opposed to the ticker tape parade the OSR folks got. You're not the only subgroup of D&Ders.

Oh, that's right, they're making the OSR movement feel unwanted.
By making a joke about one largely mocked mechanic. Yup.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I'm not invested in the OSR or its image. Why should I do anything but confront the bad eggs when they cross my path/

Bending their game into pretzels to invoke nostalgia regardless of if its good game design? Releasing tons of 'Classic' stuff for nearly a decade?

What do you even want? A whole separate line of OSR products from them when until recently they barely released a reasonable number of books in the main line?

I got left behind with 5e and got NOTHING to pander to me as opposed to the ticker tape parade the OSR folks got. You're not the only subgroup of D&Ders.

By making a joke about one largely mocked mechanic. Yup.
Case in point, again. Making it too easy.

call a group dirtbags and then say why should I care about their stupid preference? Because they’re stupid (ie I don’t like them).

how about merely not ascribing negative traits to a diverse group? That’s not a big ask.

Vaalingrade

Legend
how about merely not ascribing negative traits to a diverse group? That’s not a big ask.
They get rid of the giant marquee hovering overhead with 'NEGATIVE TRAITS HERE'.

Pretending they don't exist and insisting everyone else do to isn't going to stop them from trying and in a lot of cases succeeding at representing the OSR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads