D&D General Thaco the angry clown... really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Really feels like punching down. WTF does WotC feel the need to do this, this person, who shall remain nameless is critical, but no real threat to them?
Oh right....the victim card again.

critical? The guy is a toxic hate-spreader in clear support of known dangerous folk. Thaco should have been a demon lord, no a retired clown.

I would advise you to avoid presenting pundit as a victim of bullying, given the long list of victims him and his tolls army have gathered during their many, many hate campaign against different members of the rpg communities.

People want to make this about politics, when it's really about politics, when it's really about the devil making personally attacks on an individual, so I'm done with this thread. I will say what comes around, goes around.

I apologize for saying mean things about the devs, they should apologize for Thaco.

Last edited:

LoganRan

Explorer
I've always heard it pronounced "THACK-oh". Then when I was overseas I heard for the first time it called "THAY-co". Those people were wrong, just like when they called it a pop instead of soda ;)
I am unfamiliar with "pop" and "soda". Are you talking about Coke?

For those of you outside of the USA, the joke being made is that we Americans have several different words we use when referring to sugary carbonated beverages (i.e. Pepsi, Sprite, et.al.), which vary based on the region of the country in which you reside.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I am unfamiliar with "pop" and "soda". Are you talking about Coke?

For those of you outside of the USA, the joke being made is that we Americans have several different words we use when referring to sugary carbonated beverages (i.e. Pepsi, Sprite, et.al.), which vary based on the region of the country in which you reside.

You forgot Moxie.

Mallus

Legend
It's not just a dumb joke, it turns out it's actually a personal attack on someone in the D&D community, or rather the OSR.

Oh for the love of...

Does anyone still have a link to the thread that got Pundey kicked off the Big Purple?
Wait... THAC0 is supposed to be Pundit?

Then let me revise my statement. It's a funny joke made at the expense of someone who has reduced himself to a caricature online over past decade or two, while also trying to be some sort of public figure in gaming. So fair game for satire.

Also, there's a long tradition of creators ribbing other creators in their art. As long as they stop well short of Caravaggio actually stabbing dudes with a sword, I'm good with it.

Vaalingrade

Legend
His site (holy crap his site! I accidentally found myself on it a few months back, not knowing what its deal was, and was simultaneously amazed and horrified) is him and a bunch of other bigoted grognards whining about "woke D&D" and "cancel culture mobs", spreading dangerous misinformation, and banning anyone that doesn't align with their beliefs for being a "sockpuppet". Oh, and that douchebag Zak S. is also still allowed on his site.
I found the related thread and learned three new slurs on the first page.

Wait... THAC0 is supposed to be Pundit?

Then let me revise my statement. It's a funny joke made at the expense of someone who has reduced himself to a caricature online over past decade or two, while also trying to be some sort of public figure in gaming. So fair game for satire.

Also, there's a long tradition of creators ribbing other creators in their art. As long as they stop well short of Caravaggio actually stabbing dudes with a sword, I'm good with it.
I still do not believe that it is. Pundit is a big deal in his mind only, plus whatever newbies to the internet/Youtube who stumble on his site/channel and buy his lines. WotC doesn't care about him. WotC keeps forgetting he exists.

Edit: also all the reasons I think it doesn't add up just from the actual book content compared to Pundey's history and M.O.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads