D&D General Thank you for 50 years of D&D, video from WotC

aco175

Legend
Hope it is not in response to the thread about not being wowed with the 50th anniversary line up they have, and them trying to wow us.

Hussar

Legend
The video felt like Filler.
See, this is exactly the sort of reaction that makes me wonder why people at WotC ever bother talking to fans. Good grief. It's a nice, warm, touchy, feely video that does exactly what it says on the tin. We need more of this IMO. Putting the faces to the names of the people that make the game that we all love to play. Reaching out and being human and actually having any sort of contact between the fandom and the people at WotC.

So, I really have to ask. Filling what exactly? Filler is usually just pointless content to pad out a product. What product are they "filling" with this?

See, this is exactly the sort of reaction that makes me wonder why people at WotC ever bother talking to fans. Good grief. It's a nice, warm, touchy, feely video that does exactly what it says on the tin. We need more of this IMO. Putting the faces to the names of the people that make the game that we all love to play. Reaching out and being human and actually having any sort of contact between the fandom and the people at WotC.

So, I really have to ask. Filling what exactly? Filler is usually just pointless content to pad out a product. What product are they "filling" with this?

Filling the weird void we have right now in the 50th something exciting should be happening or announced, and yet we have nothing. Last year or the year before that felt more like the 50th then this year does, I mean it seems like half the year will be gone before we actually get a product out so they have to extend it into the 51st year.

Its not even really a shot at the video itself, its just feel odd in this kind of void.

Hussar

Legend
Filling the weird void we have right now in the 50th something exciting should be happening or announced, and yet we have nothing. Last year or the year before that felt more like the 50th then this year does, I mean it seems like half the year will be gone before we actually get a product out so they have to extend it into the 51st year.

Its not even really a shot at the video itself, its just feel odd in this kind of void.
Weird void? Huh?

Playtest 8 hit just before December. Then you have Christmas, so, I don't blame anyone for not working too much over the holidays. . Ummm.... how much do you need? Yuppers, they aren't releasing a book this spring. So what? They've already said that there are problems and things will be late. Plus the problems with the Many Things book.

Sheesh. Patience. They'll get there.

Last edited:

Weird void? Huh?

Playtest 8 hit just before December. Then you have Christmas, so, I don't blame anyone for not working too much over the holidays. . Ummm.... how much do you need? Yuppers, they aren't releasing a book this spring. So what? They've already said that there are problems and things will be late. Plus the problems with the Many Things book.

They maybe not be releasing a book till July that is 6 months, half a year like I said. There is also no D&D movie or tv show this year. No D&D video games released or even big D&D event.

I do think there might be one of the novels before that, I forget which one.

So nearly avoid in a once in a lifetime 50th annivarsy of D&D and so far its the most uneventful year in the entire edition.

Osgood

Adventurer
They maybe not be releasing a book till July that is 6 months, half a year like I said. There is also no D&D movie or tv show this year. No D&D video games released or even big D&D event.

I do think there might be one of the novels before that, I forget which one.

So nearly avoid in a once in a lifetime 50th annivarsy of D&D and so far its the most uneventful year in the entire edition.
It's not even the middle of February, it seems a but early to be making predictions for the entire year.

Sure, it would have been nice to have a more concrete release schedule, but it's been a really long time since they made those types of announcements really far in advance. I'm fairly certain we don't have dates because they aren't 100% sure when they PH will be ready. Frankly, I'll bet they originally expected the new PH to be a spring release, but the play test took longer than they anticipated--at a guess, I'd say they didn't expect as much participation to sift through and then the OGL fiasco slowed things down... if memory serves they originally planned a roughly monthly cadence, but in the end it was 2-3 months between packets.

So maybe there won't be a product released until mid-year (maybe not, we don't really know), but that doesn't mean they don't have other things planned.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
I wouldn't expect all that much at least until they are getting closer to releasing books. Even then, I'm not sure what people expect. D&D is important to us and it has had a wide ripple impact that most people aren't even aware of, but it is just a game.

I'd expect more this spring and summer, but we also have to accept reality that we don't know how much has been budgeted. After all, anything they do still has to have a positive impact on the bottom line and more of an impact than other investments. When I win that billion dollar mega lottery and can afford to buy them out, I'll make sure to do something more impressive. ;)

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)

It's not even the middle of February, it seems a but early to be making predictions for the entire year.

I wouldn't expect all that much at least until they are getting closer to releasing books. Even then, I'm not sure what people expect. D&D is important to us and it has had a wide ripple impact that most people aren't even aware of, but it is just a game.
I'd like to have seen the 50th publication anniversary date get some sort of acknowledgement and shout-out. Maybe them releasing an updated historical article from Jon Peterson going over the known publication history and putting WotC's blessing on a celebration of D&D's Birthday at the end of January or mid February (since we found out a couple of years ago that book 3 didn't get back from the printer until after 2/7/74).

I guess they really want to do the "birthday" celebration at GenCon or whenever the new PH release date is, but it'd be nice to kick off the anniversary year with a little something. It'd probably take Jon (or someone else) minimal time to write an article just adapting the one Jon did for the 40th anniversary and updating it with the more recent info he put in his Oct 2021 blog post. They could put a little more work into making it a video if they liked, with retro art and photos from the 70s if they wanted to.

I don't mind this little video, but I'd still have liked to see something a little more. And I think a Jan/Feb birthday article would have been a cool thing to spread that piece of the history around more widely to the modern fans.

Remove ads