D&D 5E Thank you WoTc: I feel like 5th edition has brought the spirit back into D&D.

Paraxis

Explorer
I like 5th edition and it is currently my game of choice, but I never felt the spirit of D&D left in any way all D&D is good D&D. I don't play 1st -3rd editions anymore but that is because I think the game has evolved past that, and playing those would like going back to watching VHS tapes after having Blue-ray, VHS was great fun at the time but I have no need for it anymore.

As a side note 13th Age has the spirit of D&D aswell and is a wonderful option, much like Pathfinder, a game doesn't need the D&D logo on it to have the feel of D&D.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
I don't play 1st -3rd editions anymore but that is because I think the game has evolved past that, and playing those would like going back to watching VHS tapes after having Blue-ray, VHS was great fun at the time but I have no need for it anymore.

I think you might be a bit mistaken with your analogy here. D&D didn't evolve, it just changed in the way we play it.

Creating a rule to over rule another rule because the previous one was bad is evolving. Creating a totally different set of rules from the last edition is just creating another way to play the same game. Your analogy of the VHS tapes isn't a good one in this instance. I mean what can you do now that you haven't been able to do with past editions? There is nothing to be honest. It's all been done before, we just have yet another way of playing the same game.

Uchawi

First Post
Every edition of D&D has upheld is roots from a spirit standpoint. That is pretty easy, you just roleplay in a fantasy setting. If you equate spirit of 5E to a specific mechanical feel, even if that feel is derived from more abstract and simple mechanics, then I won't argue that fact. But from my perspective, I never wanted to relive a previous edition, so in that sense 5E failed to pass the torch in reference to taking the best of all editions (or the spirit of what is best from all editions).

Remove ads