D&D General That one player who cancels at the last day

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I would say, since it was him who suggested you find an extra player so game can still happen if he can’t make it, you should do so. Additionally, since you are concerned he might be disengaging from the game, just ask him directly if he’s still having fun with the game. He’ll let you know what he needs.

aco175

Legend
Cancelling happens. I had to cancel a few weeks ago due to a sprinkler problem at work and I needed to stay. My brother deals with propane and is on call in the winter and sometimes he gets a service call at night when someone has no heat. My father is 1/2 retires, so he is always around and my son is in school still, but is he skips his homework he cannot play. So, it happens.

If it is happening more frequently, then it is more of a problem for everyone. He seems to sense this and offered the route of another player to fill in. i would think that would be fine. A 4th or 5th player at the table would fill out things, but add another person to cancel if needed. You can all agree that you would play with 3 players, but not only 2. There are other threads about how to handle missing PCs and if they tag along or magically disappear for the session.

Tom Bagwell

Explorer
As long as we have enough players to play, and the cancelling player at least made an attempt to let me know in advance (or missing was unavoidable and last-minute), then it doesn't bother me.

I've had more problems with GMs cancelling. If I have to drive 40 minutes to get to your house, then don't SEND A TEXT 20 minutes before game time cancelling. I don't read texts while driving. Also, don't decide to cancel the game so last minute that I've just pulled into your driveway after the aforementioned 40-minute drive.

Rafael Martin

Adventurer
I am the DM of a group of three excellent players. They're very good and that's almost a problem: I enjoy playing with them so much I dread the time when for some reason or another we won't be able to play anymore.

We play once a week, using Roll20. At the end of the session, we immediately schedule the next one. This has been going on regularly for all summer.

Except for one time, when a player, let's call him A, had to cancel at the last day for "work reasons". He's a computer programmer, but I dunno, maybe computer programmers gotta work at night too sometime. Or wake up too early. I didn't ask, because I didn't want to make him feel guilty for not being able to join.

Ok, so, today it happened again: he cannot make it all week for "work reasons". This time I'm already beginning to get paranoid about it.

So I've decided to skip the week and postpone to next week, so he doesn't feel excluded. He however suggested we may also find another player so if someone cannot make it the others can still play: well, this line made me suspicious. What was he implying?

This is a bummer because the other two players always make it on time. And, because mr. A is the only player who's more quiet than the others during the session, but I do always find ways to engage him, and most importantly he is very good when not keeping quiet, so I always assumed he was simply more shy than the others. Now for the first time I begin to wonder if he just isn't into DnD as much as the other two.

I do tend to overreact at times, so am I reading too much into the whole situation?

How should I approach this? Do I start searching for a 4th player as he himself suggested, or would that make him feel like I am replacing him?
Yes replace "Andrew" immediately! Its clear to me he doesn't want to play with your group anymore!

Bird Of Play

Explorer
I want to thank you all a lot for the sound advice!! I really appreciated. Y'all rock!

Yeah, it's the only time he canceled last minute so far, so I guess there's a fair chance I'm being exaggerated in my reaction. It's just that my schedule is so regular I have a hard time imagining someone suddenly canceling for work reasons, and, as someone here pointed out, "for work reasons" can sound a lot like a generic excuse.

As for playing with a missing player: generally that wouldn't be a problem, but the reason this little group is so special to me is because they do an excellent job working inside the story and enjoying it, the downside of that being that one of the protagonists suddenly missing mid-plot is not as easy to deal with as it normally is.

So far, I've decided to wait next week and see what happens. I'm thinking to add a fourth player to the game, although I need to find someone who fits (I'm so used to unfortunately ending up with players who prefer a more hack'n'slash experience or who roleplay anime-ish characters....). But this is not the moment, it'll feel like I am wanting to exclude him if I immediately pick up his statement that we might find a fourth guy.

Meanwhile, I went all socially awkward by messaging mr A with something on the lines of "aha, I hope you didn't think I'm pouty bro..... I'm just so pissed that you put your actual job over DnD! XP "...... but my sarcasm got lost as he didn't reply to the joke.

aco175

Legend
People type things on this site all the time that comes across wrong from their intent. Worse is when it comes across wrong for the group of people here and your joke should not have been posted in the first place. People tend to put the winking emoji ;) to tell that you are using jokes or sarcasm, but still it does not always come across when you type. I wouldn't feel bad on your end for reaching out.

Stormonu

Legend
Another IT guy here - between on-call and being salaried, you end up with a lot of weird hours. For ex., we have an upgrade this weekend that required I cancel our biweekly D&D game, and a few nights ago I was involved in an upgrade that went sideways keeping me on the clock until 8 pm! Thank goodness these days I get to work from home for a lot of these late-night shenanigans, after 20+ years...

Some people just don't get the luxury of a job that ends at 5 PM every day.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Considering this is only the second cancelation, maybe we can not 'talk' to them about it and avoid some unnecessary confrontation over nothing?

I would be all kinds of not okay with my friends giving me an attendance review over missing game twice.

Bird Of Play

Explorer
Considering this is only the second cancelation, maybe we can not 'talk' to them about it and avoid some unnecessary confrontation over nothing?

I would be all kinds of not okay with my friends giving me an attendance review over missing game twice.

It was more about the vibe.
Last-minute cancels don't sit well with me, because honestly, unless you have an emergency, why would you cancel at the last minute? For work? What kind of day job prevents you to play after dinner, for a whole week? It even is counterproductive because I'd really like to see what your productivity is like when you're kept after 8 hours to keep working.

I mean, the whole thing gave me off a "I just don't feel like playing today so I'm making an excuse, and to heck if it ruins everyone else's plans".

Welcome to the board!

I don't mean to sound rude, but are you and your group quite young? With family commitments and urgent work responsibilties, having several weeks were one cannot find time to play is pretty normal.

Heck i've had weeks where i've had a hard time getting enough sleep.

So I wouldn't worry about it.

They may be feeling bad about the game cancelling because they can't make it.

But like others said, the only way to solve an out of game issue is out of game.

Remove ads