The 25 Best Sci-Fi Movies of the Last 15 Years

No, it's not! That's the point. But ... it wasn't boring, was it?
It wasn't very enjoyable.
Terminator? That's just a chase movie.
With characters I care about.
Minority Report? Chase movie.
With social-political commentary.
Fugitive? Chase movie.
Again, with developed characters, both pursued and pursuer, that I cared about. And more varied scenery.
Heck, even classics like North by Northwest are really just chase movies.
Has Cary Grant. We can't not care about him.
Fury Road just distills it to the essence.
By removing characterisation and any scenery that isn't sand.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
It wasn't very enjoyable.

With characters I care about.

With social-political commentary.

Again, with developed characters, both pursued and pursuer, that I cared about. And more varied scenery.

Has Cary Grant. We can't not care about him.

By removing characterisation and any scenery that isn't sand.

I think you are missing the point.

Your objection regarding chase movies, or the "simplistic" nature of the plot ... is not accurate.

You can like what you like, and that's fine. I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise. But you are in the distinct minority of people that enjoy good movies when it comes to your opinion on this movie, and it's not because it's a "chase movie."

If you want to interrogate yourself further as to why this might be, that's cool. If not, that's cool too. But you might want to think further as to why you have the reaction you did. shrug If not, I don't think you're going to get very far by peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining. :)

Hex08

Hero
I'm going to argue its more of one than it appears.

Yes, its a monster movie, but the whole movie turns around how the monsters work and the weapon found to use against them. That's a very SF thing in its way.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, A Quiet Place got dumped from my list because something had to so I could add the movies I wanted to put on there. Some movies (Alien, Event Horizon, The Thing) straddle the line so closely that arguments can be made either way about whether a movie is primarily sci-fi or horror.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I don't necessarily disagree with you, A Quiet Place got dumped from my list because something had to so I could add the movies I wanted to put on there. Some movies (Alien, Event Horizon, The Thing) straddle the line so closely that arguments can be made either way about whether a movie is primarily sci-fi or horror.

Yeah. "The Thing" is particularly sticky here.

And of course, genres aren't exclusive. They just tend to lean in on one edge or the other, and some combinations are rarer than others. SF/horror is relatively common; Western/horror rarer, and Western/SF rarer yet.

I think you are missing the point.

Your objection regarding chase movies, or the "simplistic" nature of the plot ... is not accurate.

You can like what you like, and that's fine. I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise. But you are in the distinct minority of people that enjoy good movies when it comes to your opinion on this movie, and it's not because it's a "chase movie."

If you want to interrogate yourself further as to why this might be, that's cool. If not, that's cool too. But you might want to think further as to why you have the reaction you did. shrug If not, I don't think you're going to get very far by peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining. :)
And I don't think you are going to get very far by implying there is something wrong with me for not liking a movie you happened to like.

Remove ads