The 25 Best Sci-Fi Movies of the Last 15 Years

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I think you are the first person I have ever seen give a positive review of the bolded movies.

I can see a strong argument for at least of of the PotA movies to be on the list.
I thought Mortal Engines was great. Tomorrow Land was a decent adventure but could have used some better writing. Valerian was fresh and fun, but also could have used a much better third act.

Ultimately, I think the list suffers from having two types of sci-fi movies on it. Action adventure types like the supers flicks and monster pics should be on one list, and philosophical thought provoking dives on another.

payn

All the Nolan movies are way to high up, but I'd remove Interstellar ("Inte Stellar" where 'inte' is the swedish word for 'not') and Guardians of the Galaxy and replace with The Mitchells vs the Machines and Dredd.

Well, you know what? Remove Inception as well and replace with Another Earth.
Nobody consulted the Swedes when the word was developed. Not going to start now.

MGibster

Legend
I need help. What makes a super-hero movie count as sci-fi or not (like Guardians of the Galaxy, as opposed to the Ant-Man ones, the final two Avengers ones, or Thor Ragnorak?). What about others that have it in their descriptors, like Big Hero 6 or Monsters vs. Aliens count? I am legend?
Marketing. At its heart, genres classifications exist to market fiction.

Ultimately, I think the list suffers from having two types of sci-fi movies on it. Action adventure types like the supers flicks and monster pics should be on one list, and philosophical thought provoking dives on another.

I agree, but I don't think it's the list's fault. Movies in general suffer from a stratification problem today. There aren't many mid-budget movies. We live in a world of blockbusters and indie stuff, with very little in the middle. Video games suffer from this problem as well.

payn

I agree, but I don't think it's the list's fault. Movies in general suffer from a stratification problem today. There aren't many mid-budget movies. We live in a world of blockbusters and indie stuff, with very little in the middle. Video games suffer from this problem as well.
I hear ya. I'll call it out again, but low-mid budget Hunter Prey is a great sci-fi flick.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
What about Don't Look Up? Would it be considered science fiction?
I would say "yes". It explores the reactions of characters and culture to a science- and technology-based what-if.

(That said, I didn't care for it, mostly just because of what struck me as a frequently shifting tone, which i don't deal well with.)

Remove ads