The 25 Best Sci-Fi Movies of the Last 15 Years

Ryujin

Legend
They didn't include Avatar?

One of the biggest movies ever, also made 3d a thing for a while.

Yep...I'd say they don't know what they are talking about.

Personal Preferences...

Tron Legacy
Men in Black International

and more recent

Dune (2021)

Including Looper or Her and excluding these..."yeah, well, that just, like, your opinion man"

PS: I've seen most of those on the List. It seems a little slanted. There are other Sci-Fi movies they left off while putting less than stellar ones on. Of course it's a staff poll rather than based on anything more substantial...so...basically their opinions of it.

PPS: I was mistaken apparently as Dune is on the list.

Still, wouldn't consider it valid without Avatar. Of most of the movies it has had the biggest impact in over a decade on Movies in general (the entire 3e thing) and even Science Fiction Movies (one could contest whether it revitalized Sci-Fi movies in general, but it is one that at least led the current revolution of Science Fiction popularity in the theater for the past decade).

Most of the other movies they list have NOTHING on that, or even come close to the cultural impact of it. It doesn't matter what one thinks of the movie itself, to ignore something with a bigger impact on cinema and science fiction than 90% of their lists sort of invalidates it IMO...of course.
But are you putting "Avatar" on your list because it was an exceptional story, or because it had exceptional tech used to make it? I don't see it as making this sort of list.

Let's see. Her .... is incredibly well-known because:
It's regularly on the list of greatest MOVIES (not just "science fiction movies") of the 2000s.

Is it? I would classify Her as a movie for movie people; I don't think it's particularly well known. Maybe common in certain circles, but not to the general public. You have to go down to #76 to find it on IMDBs top movies of the 2010s.

And it's sci-fi by technicality, but in a world where people debate if superhero movies belong in the genre, it's barely there. Definitely a romance and drama first. If I asked asked someone "What's your favorites sci-fi movie" and they said "Her", I would respond "You don't really like sci-fi, do you?"

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Is it? I would classify Her as a movie for movie people; I don't think it's particularly well known. Maybe common in certain circles, but not to the general public. You have to go down to #76 to find it on IMDBs top movies of the 2010s.

And it's sci-fi by technicality, but in a world where people debate if superhero movies belong in the genre, it's barely there. Definitely a romance and drama first. If I asked asked someone "What's your favorites sci-fi movie" and they said "Her", I would respond "You don't really like sci-fi, do you?"

What are you talking about?

First, a "movie for movie people" is the type of movie that tends to linger, because ... movie people (critics, people that like old movies) are the ones that keep movies alive, especially old ones.

Second, not a science fiction film? Serious question- did you watch it? It's the best thing Philip K. Dick never wrote.

For those who did not watch it ...

Her is a movie that takes place in an undefined future. It is entirely about humanity's relationship to technology. Almost like the fiction is using the FUTURE to tell us things about the PRESENT. Hmm.... :)

Importantly, and this is hardly a deep dive into the thematic elements, it's an exploration on what it means to use and rely on technology, and how that inevitably colors our relationships both with people and the technology itself.

I don't want to go into more detail, but, arguably, the movie has more to say about the human condition in an interconnected world, both presently and moving forward, than any other film made to date.

TLDR; WUT???????

Mallus

Legend
If I asked asked someone "What's your favorites sci-fi movie" and they said "Her", I would respond "You don't really like sci-fi, do you?"
What if they replied "Star Wars"? Would you tell them it doesn't count because it's fantasy? :)

(you know, you can be a sci-fi person and a movie person at the same time)

Thomas Shey

Legend

I'm aware of the rough plot and cast because I'm an SF film nerd to some degree, but it came and went without much generally visible footprint far as I can tell.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
What are you talking about?

First, a "movie for movie people" is the type of movie that tends to linger, because ... movie people (critics, people that like old movies) are the ones that keep movies alive, especially old ones.

Second, not a science fiction film? Serious question- did you watch it? It's the best thing Philip K. Dick never wrote.

For those who did not watch it ...

Her is a movie that takes place in an undefined future. It is entirely about humanity's relationship to technology. Almost like the fiction is using the FUTURE to tell us things about the PRESENT. Hmm.... :)

Importantly, and this is hardly a deep dive into the thematic elements, it's an exploration on what it means to use and rely on technology, and how that inevitably colors our relationships both with people and the technology itself.

I don't want to go into more detail, but, arguably, the movie has more to say about the human condition in an interconnected world, both presently and moving forward, than any other film made to date.

TLDR; WUT???????
Speaking for myself, I see Her in that philosophical bucket. It hits with folks who like artsy movies, intellectual movies, culturally introspective movies, etc... It has more in common with Eternal Sunshine than Jurassic Park. The kind of movie nobody says is "bad", but plenty of people say "meh not interested." Some of your comments seem to indicate it's more important to the zeitgeist than most folks would agree with.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Speaking for myself, I see Her in that philosophical bucket. It hits with folks who like artsy movies, intellectual movies, culturally introspective movies, etc... It has more in common with Eternal Sunshine than Jurassic Park. The kind of movie nobody says is "bad", but plenty of people say "meh not interested." Some of your comments seem to indicate it's more important to the zeitgeist than most folks would agree with.

It depends on how a person would define, "Important to the zeitgeist," I guess.

Obviously, it's not a Marvel superhero movie. But it was a science fiction movie that was important enough to be nominated for an Academy Award, and it won the most prestigious writing award (best original screenplay)- in fact, it racked those awards up. I can't think of a single person (aka, critic) who didn't have it as one of the top movies that year.

I would agree that it is very similar to Eternal Sunshine; then again, I also think that's another film that, because of the writing, acting, and plot, continue to be relevant.

Who knows? I'm a film person, and I talk to other film people. I thought the particular choice to use Her was a particularly poor one. Look at the list- Colossal? A Quiet Place? The Endless?* Moon?** Rogue One.***

If someone chooses to take out that movie, out of the ones mentioned, that's definitely a choice.

And it's interesting how one ranks popcorn movies, as well. I mean, I think that Pacific Rim, for a lot of reasons, had continuing cultural relevance that, say, Avatar never did.

*I loved that movie- but more important than Her?
**Again, a good movie, but beyond Rockwell (always good) and the twist, not a lot there, there. IMO.
***Lovely movie. Enjoyed it in the theater. If not the best, one of best SW movies since the original trilogy. Doubt people will care about it in 10 years, but we will see.

What if they replied "Star Wars"? Would you tell them it doesn't count because it's fantasy? :)

(you know, you can be a sci-fi person and a movie person at the same time)

I didn't say Her wasn't sci-fi. I'm perfectly okay with things being in more than one category.

But I'm also okay with saying one thing in more sci-fi than another. A Quiet Place and Alien are both horror movies that happen to take place in the sci-fi genre. But Alien is definitely more sci-fi than A Quiet Place. Star Wars and Monster's Inc are both technically sci-fi and fantasy, but Star Wars is a lot more sci-fi and Monster's Inc is a lot more fantasy.

And when I make a list of "Best Sci-fi Movies", I consider how much sci-fi something is when it goes on the list. I think there's a reason the original article included Guardians of the Galaxy instead of Thor: Ragnarok. And to the specific context I made that post in, I will say that I consider Avatar to be more sci-fi than Her. YMMV.

Remove ads