The 25 Best Sci-Fi Movies of the Last 15 Years

Ryujin

Legend
It was okay, but flawed. Some of those flaws:

Jessica was a wimp when she should have been badass.
Duncan was woefully miscast (Spoiler: doesn't bode well for future films).
Gurney Halleck was barely present.
Mentats where not explained.
The director expected the audience to be bowled over the climactic giant sandworm. News: it's 2022, we have seen it before.
Sand. I don't like sand. It's course and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

On the other hand, Timothée Chalamet was great as Paul, and the Ornithopters where great.
One thing that I can say: At least in this one Jessica didn't have a complete meltdown.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Eh... Honestly, I think I've only seen about seven of them, and never even heard of about half the others.
My only comment about the list is that Guardians of the Galaxy is about as much of a sci-fi movie as Star Wars - you can call them sci-fi because the characters spend a lot of time flying around in spaceships and shooting laser pistols, but those aren't exactly the main purpose or focus of the film.

Hex08

Hero
Eh... Honestly, I think I've only seen about seven of them, and never even heard of about half the others.
My only comment about the list is that Guardians of the Galaxy is about as much of a sci-fi movie as Star Wars - you can call them sci-fi because the characters spend a lot of time flying around in spaceships and shooting laser pistols, but those aren't exactly the main purpose or focus of the film.
I'm curious as to what your definition of sci-fi is because both Guardians of the Galaxy and Star Wars are both generally considered sci-fi. The Britannica entry is fairly long, but it specifically mentions Star Wars.

science fiction - SF cinema and TV

Last edited:

Thomas Shey

Legend
Some people have pretty exclusive uses of science fiction; some want to separate it off from space opera and a lot of other related subgenres. While its useful to know how someone is using it, its less useful to argue about which take is legitimate.

Hex08

Hero
Some people have pretty exclusive uses of science fiction; some want to separate it off from space opera and a lot of other related subgenres. While its useful to know how someone is using it, its less useful to argue about which take is legitimate.
I assume you were addressing me even though you didn't quote my post since your post came right after mine. If that's the case, I certainly wasn't trying to argue what makes a definition legitimate, I was asking for clarification because I was curious.

Last edited:

Thomas Shey

Legend
I assume you were addressing me even though you didn't quote my post since your post came right after mine. If that's the case, I certainly wasn't trying to argue what makes a definition legitimate, I was asking for clarification because I was curious.

That's why I didn't quote yours; it was a general comment, not intended to be a critique of you or your statement.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases