• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The 3.5 renaissance!

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
For a while, it really seemed like 3.5 was in its death throes after the advent of 4E. We saw a lot of companies, large and small, that had put out great 3.5 material migrate away, instead dedicating themselves to 4E material, or to other systems that they'd grown more invested in. It really seemed like the 3.5 market was finished.

But I don't think that way anymore. In fact, lately I'm wondering if the best is yet to come, because as it turns out there's a lot to be excited about.

The big one is Paizo releasing the final version of their Pathfinder RPG. Really, if there was a single reason why 3.5 is still going to be viable, it's because of this. Paizo is a company with some serious heavyweights working for it, and they put out great material in a consistent, timely manner. Knowing that they're giving everything they've got to Pathfinder has given 3.5 a new lease on life.

They're not the only ones, either. Monte Cook's new Dungeon-A-Day just went live, and it's already looking spectacular. Having Monte back making new 3.5 material all the time is nothing short of a minor miracle, and really makes me excited for what he's going to unleash in the days, months, and years down the road for this new project. I'm already a charter member, and can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

While it's not daily, Kobold Quarterly is still coming out with great new stuff every few months. While it's had some sporadic 4E material, the bulk of each magazine is still firmly 3.5-centric. Likewise, Wolfgang Baur's Open Design continues to have 3.5 projects for patronage; for the last project, patrons voted which edition to have it be, and 3.5 won hands-down, showing that there's still plenty of demand for the system out there!

And those are just some of the bigger names still putting out material for 3.5. Bad Axe Games just posted a preview of Trailblazer, their book of fixes to 3.5 that answer a lot of the problems in the system. Nick Logue's Sinister Adventures may be a bit behind schedule, but he's still got some great new adventures and sourcebooks in the works. Stat block guru John Cooper is finally getting his compendium of corrected 3.5 monster stat blocks out in Cooper's Compendium of Corrected Creatures series (now up to K!). Small publisher Myth Merchant Press has released a big hit with SORD, the document that reorganizes 3.5 combat rules into such a great layout that they guarantee it'll shave 10-15 minutes off your combats (and for you Pathfinder Beta players, check out SORD Plus 1.0).

That's just a sampling of some of the great stuff that's out now or is going to be released soon, and I think they're some of the most exciting products that 3.5 has seen in years. I'm really jazzed about the future of 3.5, and I can't wait to see what's next! :D

Crothian

First Post
That's just a sampling of some of the great stuff that's out now or is going to be released soon, and I think they're some of the most exciting products that 3.5 has seen in years.

Well, that isn't hard. It's not like there was a lot of great books coming out as the 3.5 market was slowly dying over the past few years.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
The Pathfinder RPG release (and the 3pp support it receives) will be interesting to watch.

I think the challenge for 3pps that continue to support 3.x/Pathfinder will be to come out with products that innovate rather than re-do. I also think we have enough races, monsters, classes, feats, and prestige classes.

Campaign settings, adventures, DM aides, and rules tweaks that speed up or enhance the game (without sacrificing options ;) ) are what I'm looking for now.

MrGrenadine

Explorer
Well, that isn't hard. It's not like there was a lot of great books coming out as the 3.5 market was slowly dying over the past few years.

True, though to the OP's point, the great thing isn't that there's new 3.5 material being released, but rather what *is* being released is high quality material from some of the most talented names in the biz.

I agree--its a great time to be a 3.5 fan.

ProfessorPain

First Post
There is still a market for 3E for sure. People are still playing it; and many have gone back after trying out 4E. I don't know how succesful it will be in the furture; but things look less bleak for 3E than they did when 4E was announced. 4E is out, and has a solid base of fans; but it doesn't appeal to everyone. And for those people Pathfinder will be a natural choice.

SOmeone said new 3E material should be innovative rather than a redo. I think quality is a greater concern. Wizards took its eye of 3E toward the end, and released a bunch of bad redo books. But there was plenty of innovation from the 3rd party sector. If the 3rd party publishers can crank up the quality, it should be interesting.

EroGaki

First Post
I am happy to see that there is so much 3E support out there. I knew about Pathfinder, but none of the rest. When 4E first came out, most of my D&D group were sad that Wizards had abandoned them; there was much joy in hearing about Pathfinder. And now there is even more!

:D:D:D:D!

carmachu

Adventurer
When was 3.5 ever in danger of death throes? Even during the previews there was dissent. The OGL delay added fuel to the fire, and the GSL debatical helped alot.

Frankly you could see the split coming as 4e got closer and closer...

Remove ads