D&D 5E The 5E* Wishlist

mlund

First Post
Alignment - Bring back the Law-Chaos, Good-Evil axis. It was just more fun, though "True Neutral" should probably be describes more like Unaligned.

Classes - Reach back to AD&D for the Original Super-Classes (Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue), and then give each one a classical default Sub-Class with a traditional role and 2 alternative Sub-Classes with alternative roles.

For example:
Super-Class: Fighter
Sub Class Default: Slayer (Striker)
Sub Class Alt. 1: Knight (Defender)
Sub Class Alt. 2: Warlord (Leader)

Doing that would give you 12 Classes, with great variety.

Feats For Customization - Use Feats to really allow people to differentiate what tricks their build has up their sleeve. Want a Barbarian? Take your Slayer and start him down a path of "Primal" and "Rage" feats. Also, Feat-based Multi-classing needs to be revisited from 4E and made more viable.

Move Daily Powers (and Vancian Magic) into an Optional Rules Module

The game really paces, scales, and plays differently when your character's abilities (rather than their stamina and health) diminish over a day. When this option is chosen, ALL CLASSES have properly balance and scaling Daily Abilities they can use and manage. In the core rules, however, everything is either At-Will or Encounter based except for Healing Surges.

Rename the "Healing Surge"

"Heroic Reserves" sounds better. The idea of using Surges as a commodity has cropped up in 4E products recently, and it makes good sense. Give "Squishy" characters more ways of burning their surges other than throwing themselves in front of buses or have bad front-line fighters. ;)

Keep Monsters and Characters Separate

4E Had this right. Monsters are mostly one-shots, props, plot-devices, and villains. Characters are for keeps. Don't put them on the same scale.

Improved Skill Development

3E was much too fine-grain both in terms of how many skills their were and how many levels you could advance in them. 4E was pretty close to the mark in terms of Skill Categories, but way too ham-fisted in terms of Skill Levels: Untrained (+0), Trained (+5), and Expert (+8)? We need something in between, and with options as to whether to continue advancing in one field or acquire another. Just because I used to Intimidate in my callow youth doesn't mean that by Epic Tier my Intimidate skill is nigh-god-like but I've never had a chance to learn Tracking or something similar.

Save or Die Failed It's Save - Let It Stay Dead

I don't want to see Baleful Polymorph or Finger of Death type effects being dropped on PCs. Maybe if they only targeted bloodied monsters and had reduced effects (HP damage and stun / daze) vs. elite / solo monsters they'd be appropriate Character abilities for mopping up otherwise dragging combat.

Nobody is Obsolete

Swiss-army-knife Magic is the bane of skill-based characters everywhere. Magic has to walk a fine line between pulling the proverbial rat out of your hat at the dramatic moment and making a skill-monkey just a sack of HP that's largely redundant up against a good spell-book.

Grids are Optional

I like minis and map-based tactics, but some people don't. Figure out a way to present basic ideas like "Flanking" and "Opportunity Attacks" into environments that don't rely on grid-lines.

- Marty Lund

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
1. Healing: minor action, small heals. Allowing a healer to do something rather than heal. (standard actions are fine for Large heals, or mass heals)
Non-Cleric Healers! warlord, bard and druid with enough healing to serve the role.

2. NPC and PCs are different. This decreased my workload/brain damage.
Even in late 3.5 I had a table of expected attack bonus, defenses, hp and damage. I pre-made most monsters, using this rather than the Attack bonus based on type/stats that the system actually used. Why fill space with dozens of spell-like powers, when monsters only get about 1-4 actions?

3. Rituals. I like the division of combat/noncombat spells. Cost and time need to be reduced, (such as in late 4e articles)

4. Less Errata. I want the book to actually be useful after I have owned it a year.

Separate Systems (not wanted, but here are a few that could be added late) after the initial bugs were worked out. Most of these I still consider necessary, just not crucial to the game when first published.

A: epic tier
B: Psionics
C: Complicated clerics (by diety)
D: Martial Arts (beyond punch/Grab)
E: Caster Specialization. (elementalists, demonolgists, necromancers, hedge mages, etc.)

rogueattorney

Adventurer
A basic list that will at least get me to take a step inside the tent...

1. A core rulebook (or books) with about 120 pages, that isn't crippleware. In other words, a relatively slim, concise set of rules that I can run an entire campaign with. If the basic entry products are either three 300-page volumes or a starter box-set that gives you two or three levels of rules, I'm going to pass.

2. Basic character creation that takes 15 minutes or less. I don't mean 15 minutes or less after I've spent half a year getting familiar with the rule set. I mean 15 minutes after I've opened the book/box for the first time. Character creation and doing my taxes shouldn't give me the same sensation.

3. Exploration based play should be supported in the core rules as either the default or an easily inserted option. Resource management should be - or easily be made into - a big part of game-play.

4. I do not want grid-based combat which requires minis or counters to be the default method combat. I don't want to have to set up the table for every minor skirmish. I want to be able to play with just books, pencil, paper, and dice.

5. I want the majority of my time in prep concentrating on scenarios, setting, mapping, and keying. I don't want to spend much time at all statting up my npcs and monsters.

6. I don't want magic item acquisition to be tied to the pcs' level or wealth. I want magic items to be something pcs quest for, something that they take from monsters, something they find in the dungeon.

Last edited:

My random thoughts on things-

Toolkitting/Modularity is a fantastic idea. Keep that at the core of the game. So each GM can use it to play the game he (and his players) want to play.

Balance should be more in the hands of the GM than in the hands of the system. Keep the balance between classes better than in early editions, but not so lockstep as 4E... - leave that to GM. If one group's 4th level party is twice as powerful than a different group's that is okay. Yeah this will make adventures sort of tough to right, but have a general "This module is written for this level Attack Bonus, and this amount of hit points/AC" instead of level.

Similarly If the PCs take a wrong turn, go into the wrong cave and run into stuff 10 levels over their level; great. It's a learning experience that not all encounters in the world are balanced for their level.

Mmagic items not part of the calculation of standard power level (this ties in to the non-lockstep level powerlevel above). This means that a party without Magic items can adventure one way, and a party with a lot can hit the same adventure at an earlier level. Fine. No problems. Things do not have to be exactly the same across all tables. Standardizing that takes away some of the "magic" of magic items or some special abilities.

In relation to the above ideas, have a "Suggested design" per level with an average of what spell level, attack bonus, hits, AC, saves are - but don't enforce that suggested design. That is for new GMs who don't understand balance, or for GMs who don't want to spent time thinking about it (instead thinking of tactics, roleplaying or worldbuilding) to not have to worry about it.

While not full support, the ability of single player gaming. Most of the early editions you could run a group through a module with only 2 PCs without much adjustement. Maybe an extra magic item, and a level or two higher than the module would assume. 4E doesn't do that well. Bring that back.

Lots and Lots (and lots) of options for customization in game, and in characterization. 3rd had about the level of customization I liked :) - or the old dragon article that had a system for building you own race/class for BECMI. Of course dials there so if a group doesn't want to get that detailed they do not have to.

If a GM can choose different modules for different styles of game, have the modules speak to each other, especially upwardly. Say you play a game that has BECMI or 1st AD&D style combat for most of the combat, but go full tactical/miniature for the boss fight (2 separate fighting modules) have the stats in the more detailed version have all the info for the lesser version - so that all could be done in a single night. Instead of just for different games.

Use the same rules for player and Monster/NPC generation, but (and this is a big one) sliding scale as above. GM wants to generate a bunch of toss off monster for the evening - he can use the simple chargen system that takes 5 minutes to generate that NPC - but if the NPC is going to be a campaign level NPC where details are important, then this person is built with the full detailed rules.

As to specifics, I like the daily/encounter/at will - but that isn't the only powers and abilities the characters have. Perhaps the magical type is a merge of 3rd Mage and Sorcerer - some spontaneous other prepared spells. And some minor ones that never run out (so they can hit with basic damage in their flavor (magic, weapons etc) all the time - no "Out of spells, have to pull out the sling"

Spontaneous casting for all diving classes - they don't prepare spells or learn powers - they call on their God for what they need right then. Nice seprationi from arcane Magic.

Allow decent multiclassing (as noted in the flexibility above). 3rd gimped a Fighter/Mage multiclass, and previous editions made them much more powerful than a single of either class. Tall order I know.

Open ended advancement - no actual level cap. Although if the rules change at a certain point (like losing auto advancement in Saves/attack etc after 20th) is fine. Just have something that allows a character to keep going - I ran a 1st ed game for my wife for 14 years - she was 35th level (with extras) when we stopped. Long term play is nice, and a little support for it would be welcome. Not a lot, but enough to allow it.

Support for and balance of mid and high level play.

blalien

First Post
I want to see more digital integration with the new D&D. With the purchase of every book, give us a free digital copy of that book. I remember what a fiasco it was when Wizards released pdfs of 4e books, so DRM the hell out of it if you feel the need, it's still free. Make a proprietary app to view these books, and make this app available on iOS and Android. Make the character builder, compendium, and Dungeon and Dragon magazines easily accessible on iOS and Android as well. I want my tablet to be the ultimate D&D accessory. And outsource all of this to a company that can actually deliver on its promises.

Remove ads