• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"... the 70s & 80s RPGs were fantasy games..."

I'm really quite insulted by this vid, as one of those that were gaming (admittedly at the very end of the 70s on). I'm sure I remember playing Twilight 2000 and having an epic story of getting home to England during that time, with very little slaying as combat was dangerous! Obviously I was mistaken, and I was slaying dragons with my SLR! And playing those great fantasy hack-n-slashers Traveller, Boot Hill, Shadowrun, Paranoia, Top Secret and many others - they were not story/character/non-combat related at all!

What a great way to promote your game, slag off other gaming styles/eras/rules/genres/cultures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UMf8SgSH5A&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Seems really well-informed to act like Vampire: the Masquerade was the first foray into story/character-driven, non-combat role-playing. Everybody knows 1991 came around before 1981, so the Masquerade clearly predates Call of Cthulhu.

Every step this new White Wolf makes seems to carry them further away from my interest. Which is strange, because I love horror, and prefer my fantasy the way I like my chocolate; dark.

Remove ads