The Acrimonious Adventurer Association

Chased

Haimish pushes the teifling away, “I don’t want your help. How could you have even thought that was a good solution?”

“Better him than you or I.” Menthos answers

Haimish tries to argue but pulls back as Menthos begins to cross the strange hallway. The warlock feels the temperature rising around him as the walls shimmer with heat. Haimish and Adokul call out behind him but their voices seem farther away then their actual distance. The barking of hounds can be heard off in the distance beyond the walls, their sound getting louder and drowning out all other noises. The stone walls melt away, giving Menthos the impression of walking along a dirt path in hell.

A blood red sun hangs bloated on a distant horizon; the air is dry and hot and seems full of black dust, choking off any deep breaths the teifling might try to take. A few more steps and the hounds reappear up through a crevasse and race towards the warlock, turning back; Menthos finds no path behind him and no sight of the rest of the party. Menthos fires off eldritch blast after eldritch blast but neither pack is slowed. Menthos kneels down and braces for impact as the hounds’ mouths open and a fire drool laps at the hounds’ face.

“Kador save me.” Menthos says closing his eyes to the expected pain; the words seemed to come freely of their own will.

The hounds leapt for the attack, but land just short of Menthos. The tiefling, although protected against most mundane heat and fire, could feel the hot breath of the hell hounds as they circled him, flicking their fiery tongues to taste the air around the teifling. Satisfied with their findings, the hounds back off and run back towards the crevasse from whence they came.

Opening his eyes, Menthos finds himself in a small square room; a single pedestal stands in the center, an orange light streams from above and lands on the pedestal. Rising to his feet, Menthos spots a small vial resting atop the pedestal. Using his ability to detect magic, Menthos opens his mind to the flow of power through the room. The vial shows as magical, but nothing else however.

Replaying the hound attack through his mind, Menthos wondered what he did differently than the dwarf that was eaten. Unless, the attack was illusionary and the dwarf was still alive in a room such as this, imprisoned as Menthos was now feeling. Feeling paranoid, Menthos scoured the walls of the small twenty foot square room, looking for an exit. After fifteen minutes of fruitless searching the teifling finds his prize, a concealed door in the wall behind him where he had been kneeling when he arrived.

Menthos pushed the door aside and it slid with a grating sound of centuries of disuse. Peering into the dark hallway beyond, Menthos saw unfamiliar landmarks and most of all no one around. Pushing the door the rest of the way open, he listened for signs that his escape had altered something to come looking for epicenter of the noise. After several minutes of silence, he felt relived that nothing was coming; he turned back to the pedestal and grabbed the vial.

The glass was cold to the touch, colder than any ice Menthos had ever felt and the black liquid within look thick enough to double as paste. He put the vial in his backpack and started off down the hallway away from the pedestal room.

Haimish and Adokul however watched as the hounds leapt upon the cowering Menthos and then disappeared along with the warlock. The hallway returned to normal and there were no signs of the tiefling.

“Well, that settles it; I’m not going down that hallway.” Adokul states

“What an idiot.” Haimish comments about Menthos

“Hey he could have thrown you into the hallway; at least he had the decency to commit suicide.” Adokul responds

“Mmm, something’s different though; they didn’t tear into Menthos and didn’t leave remains behind like the dwarf’s.” Haimish observed

“Maybe they needed him intact, maybe it’s all an illusion and he teleported somewhere else?” Adokul suggests

“You want to try that theory?” Haimish asks

Adokul looks down the hallway and then at the dwarf’s remains, “Not so much.”

Haimish and Adokul set up a makeshift camp along with a small barricade that would slow down the first couple of attackers, and then set about nursing the rest of the party back to health. Xanthos and Eeyore awoke from their paralysis and were told of the trap and the supposed fate of Menthos. In the morning Kourk and Doopa were healed and spell prayed enough to warrant a trek back out of the dungeon, as no one dared try the trap out for authenticity.

The retreat back through the dungeon was a lonely one; the party came across no further combatants or obstacles. They called out for Menthos as they went, but no reply was every given. Once back outside they party noted the snowfall had increased as was nearly hip high while drifts formed that were taller than any of them except Doopa.

“What do we do about Menthos?” Haimish asks

“Nothing, we need to get myself and Eeyore fixed, otherwise we’re useless to any search party.” Xanthos answers

“We can’t just leave him here; this is an indignant way to die. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.” Kourk states

“Well, look who went and got all righteous. Your god tell you to be a nonconformist this morning?” Adokul asks

“No, but he did relate to me how it was that you came in contact with the slaad.” Kourk replies

“Right. I doubt that highly.” Adokul scoffs and moves out in front of the party looking out over Hledra

“As would I had it not come from my own liege.” Kourk answers

“What happened?” Eeyore speaks up

“Nothing, I was kidnapped, this charlatan knows not what he speaks.” Adokul answers

“Awfully defensive, perhaps you are not who you claim or appear to be?” Eeyore comments

“You’re a little paranoid for someone who could wind up paralyzed at the moments notice, making for an easy kill. You think about last night and me with access to a knife all night.” Adokul makes a subtle threat.

“Enough, we’ve no time for this. I head for Highcastle, I need to find someone who knows where a slithilar can be found.” Xanthos shouts

The party lumbers back to Kindoras Keep, picks up horses for the party and then set off as quickly as druid and ranger driven horses can go. The second night in the cairns they party was attacked by a pair of retrievers who teleported into the camp’s center. They were easily dispatched but that only raised the alert of the group.

“We’re being tracked extra-dimensionally” Xanthos stated

“That means we’re being scryed.” Adokul states

“Somebody or something wants something we have.” Kourk laments

“We need to hurry, no more rests, we need to make Highcastle by tomorrow nightfall.” Xanthos commands

The party gathers up their belongings and push the horses through the night south to Highcastle. They ride through the day and spot the towers of the city as the sun slips below the western horizon. Three retrievers appear in the road ahead, the party breaks off and swerves to miss them as the chase is on.

The three demons dimension door just ahead of Haimish’s horse and extend their claws as the horse rides buy them. The retrievers score deep gashes across the flanks of the horse. Haimish gets a hundred more feet out of the animal before it collapses. Doopa rides up to the retrievers and clubs the nearest one upside the head as he rides by. The demon swipes at Doopa’s horse and tears a fist sized hunk of meat from its hindquarters. Doopa tries to make a sharp turn with the horse, but exhausted and limping the animal crumples to the ground instead. Doopa kicks out from under the horse and turns to face the demons.

Xanthos however rides by Doopa and scopes him up as Eeyore rides out to Haimish and scopes him up as well. Kourk and Adokul, not wanting to be easy pickings for the retrievers, ride in close to the new formation as well.

“They’re just going to picking off our horses and force us into fighting a ground war.” Eeyore shouts

“Then we’ll have to fight.” Xanthos states

“No, I have a better plan.” Haimish relates

As the retriever teleport in front of the horses again, Haimish dimension doors himself, Eeyore, Kourk, and Adokul nearly seven hundred feet down the path without their horses. Xanthos transforms into a giant eagle and grasps Doopa then lefts off into the air. The confused retrievers attack the horses as they scatter to avoid the retrievers. Once realizing where the party went, they activate their teleportation, this delay allowed Haimish to dimension door again and make the final five hundred feet into Highcastle.

The retrievers do not seem to follow the party into Highcastle, Xanthos lands with Doopa shortly thereafter. The party makes their way to the School of Ancient Magic where they demand an audience. The party explains their predicament and is advised there is a Slithilar on Croy the Isle of Magic, but transport is not free and if they wish to be cured of their graphs, the price would be the graph itself. The party agrees, Doopa stays behind as he does not wish to hang out with a bunch of magic types, and he states he’ll go talk to the fire people about Menthos. The rest of the party is teleported to Croy where surgery for Xanthos and Eeyore begins within the hour.

Jon Potter

First Post
Hairy Minotaur said:
The rest of the party is teleported to Croy where surgery for Xanthos and Eeyore begins within the hour.

I gotta tell you, HM. I think that half of my current party would probably want to keep the grafts rather than part with them - despite the defects.

And I must say, "Retrievers! Why didn't I think of that?"

I just love campaign cross-pollenization. :D

Jon Potter said:
I gotta tell you, HM. I think that half of my current party would probably want to keep the grafts rather than part with them - despite the defects.

And I must say, "Retrievers! Why didn't I think of that?"

I just love campaign cross-pollenization. :D

Xanthos wasn't having any issues with his, other than character driven to find his own heart instead of a replacement.

Eeyore however kept freezing in battle (not reflected in the story hour as those battles were generally party squashes) so he was all about getting it taken off. Plus it stayed with him when he would shift forms (he's an aranea).

And I do think Huzair and Menthos are long lost brothers. Although Menthos is about to "shack up" with the dark side.

Something ventured, Something gained

As the ethereal veil is lifted, the Isle of Croy comes into focus. A large platform emerges underneath the party’s feet, arcane runes glow a soft blue and then fade. The island proper then comes into view as the glistening water reflects the high sun. Xanthos notes that most buildings have no roof and are open to the sky. The School of Ancient Knowledge representative heads off to the east as a dozen clay golems move in to surround the party.

“Take the one in all black and the elf to Krizz’t’ck’s lab, the rest are to be move into quarters.” A copper-hued half-dragon commands from the right of the party behind the line of golems.

Xanthos and Eeyore are taken immediately inside a tower-like structure, within are eleven archways arranged in the interior marble wall of the tower. They look to be decorative as there is nothing but marble on the other side of them. Each arch protrudes from the wall about a foot and all are covered with arcane symbols. The golem lead Xanthos and Eeyore to an arch just to the right of the entrance, with a slight shove the two men are pushed towards the wall at the back of the arch, a momentary flinch in anticipation of their face hitting stone goes by unanswered as they are teleported again to a hot and dark room with a small stove fire burning.

“Come lay down on the tables.” A voice speaks to their minds

The light increases in intensity and grows to illuminate a pair of thick wooden tables to either side of the stove fireplace. The golems don’t move to prod the men to the tables; Xanthos and Eeyore stare at each other for a moment before complying with the request. After tentatively seating themselves a large bug creature with long stick-like arms emerges from behind the stove and moves in-between the two men.

“I am Krizz’t’ck and I have heard you are afflicted with one of my people’s toys. Tell me, how was it that you came to possess these things.” The slithilar requests

“To move about the island, you will need to possess a gate key. Otherwise you will be forced to stay in a guest room until the completion of your friends’ surgery. There are many keys, however only one opens all the doors. The key I give you today will allow you to visit the marketplace and the above ground parts of the island. Do not lose your key as a replacement will not be granted and keys become inert after you leave the island and are not rechargeable.” The half-dragon states.

Adokul is given a small skull of a pixie and is told to wear it around his neck to pass through doors. Any doors he goes through will lead him to the marketplace, above ground on the island, or back to his own room. A golem approaches Haimish with a similar skull.

“Wait.” The half-dragon orders, “That one already possesses a key.”

The words confused Haimish, maybe it was the bleeding rock they found? Or some other item? Or maybe the dragon was mistaken for whatever reason. Haimish was sure none of the items he’d cast detect magic on resonated with anything that could be used as a teleport key.

The dragon next spoke to Kourk, “You are not arcane and therefore not allowed free reign in our city. You will be confined to your room and made to wait there. You may request a guide to show you the above grounds, but that is all.”

“How xenophobic of you. I appreciate your respect for my power.” Kourk responded.

The half-dragon merely scoffed and waved the golem to lead Kourk to his room, “The rest of you are free to go where your limitations restrict you.” And with that the golems and the half-dragon blinked away.

“You never mentioned you had been here before. Where are the places one should see while they are here?” Adokul asks Haimish

Haimish didn’t readily answer as he was going over his inventory in his mind, trying to locate what the key might be, “huh? Oh sorry. Um, try the oracle. I’ve heard the readings she gives you will move you to switch convictions.”

“Sounds interesting, I think I’ll try that first. Let’s see how does this thing wor..” and with a thought Adokul to teleported to the steps of a great shrine. Massive pillars support a dome of night, in that the very night sky could be viewed from within the shrine. Resting within a mound of pillows lay a six-armed woman with the body of a snake.

Haimish wanders off the platform with no clear goal and walks among the residents of the island, he sees stone giant runecasters, mind flayers, ghoul sorcerers, elementals of all shapes sizes and even some that appeared to be only rumored in texts attributed to hacks. It wasn’t until his first hour on the island had passed that he noticed all the wizard eyes floating about. They seemed to be everywhere, small disembodied eyeballs floating in midair, constantly watching and recording everything that went on in their field of vision. Even though he had been told to freely wander the outside island, Haimish couldn’t help but think this was more like prison, and with that thought Haimish was whisked away.

Kourk found his room to be simple yet functional, his found he liked that. He couldn’t remember why he liked free from art so much, heck even a week ago he was battering for an exclusive piece of “living” art when the slaad craftsman he was dealing with became insulted with his offer and decided Kourk should pay for the piece with his life. He had also done some soul searching in the past 24 hours and thought that his faith might be better served under the thumb of a deity who wasn’t so fickle. Maybe a good dwarven god would do the trick? Someone who appreciated a good day’s work and had simple rules that were easily discernable and followed. Kourk sifted through his knowledge of divinity searching for a good candidate to switch his allegiance to, he never considered that his current deity would be upset by this, after all Kourk had logically thought this whole process out and it just made sense to him and that should be all the convincing his current god needed.

After Xanthos and Eeyore relayed their stories to the slithilar, the bug-like creature stroked what amounted to its chin in contemplation of what might have corrupted the devices.

“It is clear to me that the grafts will have to be removed, spider-shifter you will have to remain unconscious in a growth tube while a new organic skin is regenerated to re-clothe yourself, this will be a minor inconvenience for me and should conclude two days hence.” The slithilar communicated

“Druid your extraction will be a little more of a hassle as I shall have to re-implant a functioning device where your current one is removed, I hope to avoid death, but grafts are usually not meant to be swapped as if one was in a market.” The creature relays to Xanthos

Xanthos sends a quick sending to Adokul to have him pick up a belt of healing while he shops on the island, before the slithilar psychically knocks out the patients and begins his surgery.

Adokul slowly ascends the white marble steps that sharply contrast with the dark interior ceiling of the shrine. His steps resonate with a low moaning sound that unnerves him and he stops midway up the steps. Taking a deep breath he looks around for any other visitors hoping to see he wasn’t the only one hearing the noise.

“Adokul, pick me up a belt of healing from a merchant on the island.” Xanthos’ voice echoed through the mage’s head startling Adokul and causing him to stumble forward falling on the steps two thirds of the way up.

Cursing to himself, the sorcerer readies to lift himself up, but several hands grasp his robes and heft him off the steps completely. Adokul tries to squirm his way free, but his whipping head snaps forward and he looks into the demonic eyes of the maralith.

“I grow tired of waiting for you to produce enough testosterone to finish your climb. The oracle does not like to be kept waiting, there are several other suitors who are waiting to paying for her services.” The maralith states

“You’re not the oracle?” Adokul asks

“No, I am a handmaiden. The oracle waits below in the melancholy below the sky.” The maralith speaks and tosses Adokul skidding into the shrine. Dust clouds kick up as the human missile tumbles over the stone floor. Adokul coughs out what dust was breathed in during his travel and shoves himself off the ground. It wasn’t until his head was receding from the floor that he realized the floor was made of compacted bone ground to dust. The taste caught the back of his tongue as he coughed it up. To someone with spellcraft the taste is unforgettable.

Large black bat wings unfurled from the center of the pillow pit and a stunningly beautiful woman rose with the wings. Veins of red ran over the wings giving Adokul the impression of a field of lava on a black landscape. He’d only read about succubi before and from what his brain was scurrying to bring back paled in comparison with the real thing which stood in all her glory before him.

“You seek the Oracle of Croy to aid you in a matter of importance?” The succubus cooed

Adokul’s brain screamed “danger!” but his heart had already surrendered and was sewing a white flag with his soul, “Sure, can you help me with my question?”

*chuckle* “What do you have in payment for this mighty knowledge that I will bestow upon you?” The succubus answered

Adokul shook off the effects of the succubus’ hold on his will and he turned his back to the creature and tried to imagine annis hags eating gelatinous cubes full of pus. However the image of the succubus kept overlaying anything vile and disgusting his brain could dream up. Adokul willed his legs backwards, shuffling his feet across the bone dust floor.

“Leaving so soon? We haven’t even negotiated my rate yet. Please stay for a while, I’ve no one else to talk to and the maralith is nearly useless as a pleasure toy and it’s been so long since anyone has paid the price of my knowledge.” The succubus’ words peel away Adokul’s resolve in layers as he slows his retreat.

“Hey Adokul! Did you get my message?” Xanthos’ shouting shattered through Adokul’s skull and the distraction enabled him to refocus on fleeing and he picked up his feet and ran out of the shrine never looking back.

“I need a brothel.” Adokul thought to himself and instantly he stood inside an underground cavern full of store fronts and all manner of arcane beings as they went abut battering and shopping for sundries.

“Looking for a good time are you?” A pixie startled Adokul’s senses back to his immediate surroundings

The building to his left was dark inside and an overwhelming smell of incense wafted outside of it. The sign on the door merely said “professionals” in about twenty different languages.

“Well? Are we dealing here? Cause if you’re not then you need to get a move on you’re blocking others views of the place.” The pixie said

Adokul focused on the pixie that was obviously interrupted on her way to or from the shower as her lack of clothes indicated. Adokul’s danger meter was broken and it would take several therapy sessions to get it to work right, and with that Adokul reached into his purse and shoved a handful of gold in the pixie’s face.

“That’ll do nicely human.” And the pixie motioned for Adokul to follow

An old enemy returns

Darkness assailed Haimish’s sight as he whipped around trying to locate where he was exactly. The echoing sound of water dripping led him to believe he was in a cave or underground as least. Haimish dug a sunrod out from his backpack and activated it. The room lit up in a burst of sight, corners long since denied light were exposed as insects, moles, and rats skittered away from the brightness.

A solitary coffin lay against the right wall and a ventilation hole no more than four inches across provided the room with the stale air that Haimish was breathing. Haimish looked along the base of the walls for where the rats and moles scattered from the room and made the horrible discovery that they were plagued. Large chucks of hair had fallen from their skin and the rat’s tails looked more like shriveled calamari than a tail. He shifted the light again and one of the moles stared back at him with half a face, its one remaining eye was bloated and bulging from its socket.

“Undead, great.” Haimish sighed

Then a smoke began to fill the room from the ceiling port, Haimish backed away from the hole but noticed the smoke moved in a sentient way, contorting itself to avoid Haimish. Remembering his encounter with a vampire previously, Haimish struck his blade on the coffin, trying to knock off a good enough sized piece of wood to shove it into the creature’s heart.

The mist formed a body and Haimish renewed his efforts to hack off a piece of wood. A familiar visage formed from the mist and Haimish stopped hacking, dumbfounded the bard stood as the rest of the body formed and Kalen stood before him.

“Since there are only two ways into this room, and you’re not a vampire, it limits my choices down nicely.” Kalen states

“How?” Haimish questions

“Interesting, for that is my question as well.” Kalen states

“You’ll not find my mind so easily taken this time Kalen.” Haimish spits back

“Pfft. I don’t want it. I have an idyllic life here, you would just disrupt that. However I can’t really let you go back to the rustic civilizations with this knowledge either. What to do, what to do?” Kalen answers

A wizard eye popped into existence in the far corner of the room, Kalen’s face showed obvious displeasure with this turn of events.

“Tell you what, meet me and my associates for lunch on the observation deck in one hour and we can discuss particulars.” Kalen offered

“Particulars of what?” Haimish inquired

“Even now your humorous side shows it shall do you well in the coming meeting.” Kalen says and returns to mist form and ascends the air hole.

“Wait! How the hell am I supposed to get out of here?” Haimish shouts up at the disappearing Kalen, “Damn, I wish I was with Adokul.” And with that Haimish is whisked away again.

It took a moment for Haimish’s eyes to adjust to the odd lighting in this room. A large mirrored ball hung from the ceiling and slowly turned as the light from a couple of candles reflected off of its surface to splash the room in dozens of small points of light. Then he heard odd breathing that raised his alertness as he spun around awaiting the charging barbarian only to find a more disturbing sight.

“Aaahhh!!!” Haimish screamed

“Aaahhhh!!!” Adokul screamed

“What? Hey, that’ll cost you more.” The pixie said pointing at Haimish

“Aaahhh!!!” Haimish screamed again

“What? How? You?” Adokul screamed

“There’s no place like home, there’s no place like home.” Haimish repeated

“What kind of sick twisted plane are you two from?” The pixie questions

“Get the hell out of here Haimish!” Adokul shouts

Haimish blinks away while shutting his eyes so tightly he hoped they’d never open again.

“Is this some kind of bet? Are more of your friends going to keep popping in here with you? Cause if they are, you’re going to need to pay for them too.” The pixie iterates

Haimish finds himself in a small apartment overlooking the west side of the island. He notes that the position of the sun hasn’t changed from when he first arrived and wonders if any time really passed at all.

“Haimish my good man, what brings you back from your excursion across the island?” Kourk asks heartily

Haimish turns to face Kourk, sweaty and red-faced the bard shrugs his shoulders and stares back at the cleric.

“Are you in need of healing? Moradin has answered my prayers!” Kourk relates

Haimish shakes his head, “No, I have a business luncheon.”

“Ah! Perhaps you are in need of a shave? Let me get you my razor, I no longer have need of it.” Kourk states

“No, that’s okay. I just need to drop off a few things before I head off to eat.” Haimish answer

“Why certainly my good man. Perhaps we can chat later regarding your findings on this most peculiar island?” Kourk replies

“Sure.” Haimish answers and heads to the privy where he unloads most of his valuables. Keeping his gold and sword on him though, he removes the odd rock from his back pack to find that the rate of bleeding has increased and the rock appears smaller, almost as if the rock was ice and was melting.

“Great what am I going to do with this? I can’t leave it here; Kourk’s gone all weird on me this place must be affecting his brain. I’ll have to take it with me instead.” Haimish re-wraps the rock and places it back into his backpack. His thinks about the observation deck but nothing happens.

Haimish remembers his two previous jumps and also what the half-dragon told them. He then starts handling each of his dropped items one by one and thinking about the observation deck until he comes to the jar of grave dirt and is whisked away. Haimish stands on the observation deck and smiles, he then thinks back to the room and returns to the privy in the party’s apartment.

Haimish begins to clean up the red liquid the rock left on the floor, passing the cloths to the laundry bin Haimish gets a strong acrid smell like that of blood. The bard pauses and considers this problem, then putting a little bit of the liquid on his fingers he tastes it with his tongue and the world goes dark.

Haimish’s head is filled with images of a great black dragon being dragged down into a large cavern, massive cords of rope loop over the dragon’s girth and cut through it’s skin down to the bone. Huge wooden skewers are passed through the great beast and you feel each of their entries; smell the rotten blood wells up from the wounds as large hunks of flesh fall from the body. A great cry from the dragon is cut short as blood curdles into it's throat cutting off the air flow. All is silent for a moment before a great gout of blood geysers forth from it's mouth.

Haimish’s head spin back into his present location, his body bleeding from multiple stab wounds. A great pressure in his throat wells up and he hurls open his eyes wide as he projectile vomits a gallon of blood, spraying the room in a crimson wash. Woozy and exhausted, Haimish claws his way to a sitting position and vows never to do that dumb stunt again.

Haimish teleports to the observation deck after getting cleaned up, but notices in the mirror that he is very pale but decides to meet with Kalen anyway. The bard is met on the deck by Kalen and a wizard wearing robes with the School of Ancient Knowledge insignia on it.

“Glad to see you made it. You look dreadfully pale though, are you felling alright?” Kalen inquires

“Sure, just doing some calisthenics.” The bard replies

“Please be seated then.” Kalen shows Haimish to his chair, he notes they are the only ones dinning now, but there are seven wizard eyes floating about watching.

Kalen notices Haimish’s observation, “Seems you’ve attracted great interest.”

“Appears so, at least I feel safer.” Haimish answers

“Did you feel as though you were in some kind of danger?” Kalen asks with a wry grin

“No, I already beat you once.” Haimish answers much to the vampire’s chagrin

Haimish is treated to a decadent feast of; Cream of Flumph, Ettin Tartar, and Poached Faerie Dragon Egg in Shell with a Zombie Béarnaise Sauce.

Kalen then leans in, “What do you want for the item? We can deal now and avoid others mucking up the deal.”

Confused Haimish is taken aback and is about to ask what Kalen is taking about when a rakshasa teleports next to the table.

“Tricky undead, you thought to buy it outright without letting anyone else see it? I have the mind to turn you over to Ghornas for this insult.” The rakshasa comments, Kalen just rolls his eyes in disgust.

The appearance of the rakshasa brings a gnome and erinyes teleporting in as well; they too stake a claim in the proceedings.

Menthos makes his way back out of the dungeons of Hledra amid a swirling snowstorm, the teifling scours the landscape for signs the party made it out as well, barring that he scours the city in hopes of gauging just how long he’d been gone. The deep snow however, covers most of the buildings and what structures he does see are only ruins anyway. He trudges out of Hledra heading west in hopes that Kindoras Keep still stands.

The rabbitt done died

“What item are you talking about?” Haimish pleads

“Why the blood of Thynuklith of course, isn’t that why you’re here to unload it?” The gnome answers

“You mean this rock?” Haimish produces the wrapped, large, and cold object from his backpack

Oohing and ahhing erupt from around the table as Haimish catches the glimpse of a mummy lumbering up behind him in the glistening of the ice chunk.

“Lord Ina-Herit shall not be denied this opportunity.” The mummy speaks and shoves the gnome out of his seat. Then sits in the now empty chair

“Recompense! This shall get reported.” The gnome squeals

“Run along mosquito, or the next time you cut a deal it’ll be for which organ of yours I atrophy first.” Lord Ina-Herit hisses

Disappointed but apparently sufficiently intimidated the gnome teleports away from the table.

“Can we conclude this now?” Kalen sighs

“Hold your tongue soulless, I wish to savoir the hunt of the find first.” The erinyes speaks

Kalen opened his mouth to object when their waiter brought over a fried gelatinous cube with bearded devil sauce for dessert.

“So recitalist, tell your tale.” The erinyes requests

Haimish recites the party’s trip through Hledra, the mummy drawing particular interest to the ghost dragon, while the erinyes has Haimish repeat the altar altercation with Menthos four times, laughing more gleefully with each retelling.

“Where is this maniac? I saw no teifling with you when your troupe arrived.” The erinyes inquires

“We don’t know where he is; he went through some fiendish hell hound trap and never saw him again.” Haimish answers

“Lucky bastard.” The erinyes replies

“Where is this Hledra, I may have need to finish your pathetic plundering job.” Lord Ina-Herit asks

“Find your own guide; take out an advertisement, commune, or guess. Any of those work just as well.” Haimish answers

“I like the cut of you jib bard. Is there something special you want for your birthday?” The erinyes inquires

“No, as for payment for this highly valuable, collector’s prize of an artifact. I’m a bard, use your imaginations. I predict you’ll do well.” Haimish advises

“My liege has already informed me to make the winning bid, let us retire to come to an agreement.” Lord Ina-Herat

Ina-Herit’s comments enrage the table as female drow shows up as well, berating Kalen for delaying her attendance at such an important occasion. The drow snatches a chair from a nearby table, spins it and sits as close to Haimish as possible while simultaneously blocking Lord Ina-Hiret’s view.

“Well, human?” The drow says

“I like games, you all like games? We’re going to play a game now and the winner shall get certain considerations on their bid.” Haimish states

“Lolth demands the item at all cost!” The drow shouts

Haimish thought to ask her what Orcus thought of that, but remembered a mummy had shown up talking about his liege and he figured he had just made a connection on that.

“I have a planer rift to the elemental plane of ice, whoever can tell me how to close it, shall get a greater place amongst the bids.” Haimish says

“What’s that supposed to mean?” The drow says

“It means I won’t accept any bids from those with no answer to my question.” Haimish says, and with that the rakshasa, drow, and erinyes teleport out to find the answer while the two undeads remain at the table.

“Aren’t you going to run off and find the answer to my question?” Haimish asks

“No need, I have your answer.” Ina-Hiret states

“So then give me your bid.” Haimish replies

“No, give me the item first and you shall have your answer.” The mummy says

“Not likely, if you don’t want to be a good sport, then don’t even bother submitting a bid and you can go about rotting your existence away somewhere else.” Haimish responds

“I will not leave this place without the rock, if it does not come by me through your hands then it will come by through others. One thing is certain, it will be mine to present to my liege.” Ina-Herit challenges

Haimish ignores the ranting mummy next to him and focuses on Kalen who sits motionless.

“You don’t get it either, not without my answer.” Haimish talks over the mummy at Kalen

“Quite.” Kalen replies and snaps his fingers and a green robed man from the School of Ancient knowledge approaches the table from behind Haimish.

“Search the cellar library area fifty-one and find this book.” Kalen shows the man a slip of paper, “bring the book back here and be quick.”

The man teleports off, “you’ll have your answer post haste.” Kalen advises

“Must be nice to have the school at your fingertips.” Haimish implies, “I wonder what the Mormekar’s think of that?”

“They think nothing; the dead are useless except for spare parts. However much like my desiccated friend here stated so eloquently. You will give me the rock now.” Kalen held his right hand out as his eyes flashed red for a moment.

“Ha! You’re a one trick pony with a bad leg. Here’s to hoping your nanny brings back the right book or you’re going to lose.” Haimish says

Menthos made it back to Kindoras Keep nine days after exiting Hledra, his only company on the trip was the nasty weather and packs of wolves. No other intelligent life wandered outside in a Majestic Blizzard. Menthos was happy to see the keep still standing and the columns of smoke meant the pyromancers finally got around to lighting something useful. Too tired to deal with the captain, Menthos spider climbed over the wall and crossed the courtyard into the priest quarters, both happy and irked that he was able to do so without so much as a yell to “stop!”

He stumbled down the hallway to his own room and collapsed on the bed. It was early evening the next day before he arose to find his room was doubling as a storage closet as well. Boxes and crates were piled across the northern wall a smell of paste hung faintly in the air, Menthos thought there must be some wet flour in some of the boxes. Menthos stretches the journey from his muscles and gets up to have a look around the cold keep.

The hallway outside his room was quiet as he walked down to Aleena’s quarters, hoping to catch her before her sundown sermon. Lightly rapping on her door brought a fiery, “Leave me the hell alone!” then soft sobbing. Menthos tries to push the door open but it is barred from the other side, so he elects to spend the next few minutes pouring eldritch blasts over the door until it disintegrates under the onslaught.

“What did you do that for? Now I’m going to have to replace that.” Aleena calls out from a desk on the far side of the room.

“I just love it when you talk all spiritual like that.” Menthos replies, hoping for a hug or a glad you’re safe greeting, “what no hug?”

“I’m not feeling well, I’ve been throwing up all week and I ache in tender places.” Aleena answers

“Withdrawal, very common I women I’ve met, luckily I’m back so you can get your fix.” Menthos says proudly

“I don’t think that’s the problem at all.” Aleena says

“Says you, what do you know you’re just a cleric of a fire god, maybe you should consult a liaison to the fire god instead? I’ll be taking requests all day.” Menthos says

Aleena smiles weakly and inquires as to Menthos’ travels this past two weeks. Menthos relates his story and hands over the vial for inspection as well. Aleena can’t give anymore information than Menthos already has so she returns the item to Menthos. At the end of his narrative Menthos asks to speak with Helle or Statinistor about Hledra. Aleena advises she will set that up after giving the sundown address to the keep.

Aleena gives Menthos a kiss as she leaves the room with a deliberate walk. After judging her to be far enough along the hallway, Menthos finds the secret door near the far left corner of Aleena’s room that he found exploring one night. Opening it to reveal the small chamber with a large brazier in the middle. The warlock pours oil over the coals and ignites them creating a brilliant rush of yellow and oranges as the flame charges into the ceiling of the chamber. A few moments later the visage of Statinistor appears in the fire and addresses the teifling.

“Menthos, tis good to know you escaped unharmed along with your companions.” Statinistor states

“Oh, so they made it out alive without me did they? Where are they now?” Menthos asks

“On an off-shifted island called Troy, they are being harassed by retrievers among other things. Although your ogre friend remains in Highcastle.” Statinistor answers

“Hmm. Then my plan worked, they escaped while I have the treasure?” Menthos comments

“Yes, yes. Toy with them and make them think you are weaker, then when they finally sense they are about to die, the grim realization that they were too cocky to fight effectively destroys whatever will to fight on that they had left. Excellent choice of tactics.” Statinistor replies

“What’s wrong Aleena?” Menthos inquires

“Such concern for your fellow man.” Statinistor begins, Menthos couldn’t tell if the priest was being sarcastic or genuine, “Although you should know, you caused it.”

“That was a joke back there with the withdrawal comment.” Menthos answers

“Yes, but the facts remain. You got her pregnant.” Statinistor answers

“Ah crap. This is what ruined my brother Tehas’ life, what happens now?” Menthos asked, hoping the answer didn’t involve a lot of skin flailing or soul melting.

“Nothing it will be dealt with when the time comes, for now why don’t you step into the brazier and return to Highcastle, there is much to show you.” Statinistor answered.

“I need to corral a few things here first, but as long as I have you on the prompter. What do you know about a temple under Hledra?” Menthos asks explaining the altar and big undead fight they fled from.

"I know of no temple below Hledra, this concerns me as there must be some kind of deific presence if blade barriers were cast and temples are still functioning." Statinistor answers

“What of this prophesy that almost paralyzed the pyromancers?” Menthos asks

"Prophesies are vague enough that they could be applied almost anywhere, Kador tells me there is a growing darkness to the north. But most concerning to us is the spread of disease ahead of this early winter, the Morwynites can't keep up with the amount of sick and dying that lay upon their doorstep." Statinistor replies

“How can I stop the gate from creating this weather?” Menthos asks

"The magic of this year's early winter is neither arcane nor divine, it most resembles your ability, yet not the same." Statinistor answers

“Your answer sucks.” Menthos retorts, “What’s been going on down there lately?”

"Our repeated attempts to sanction the School of Ancient Knowledge, have met with disaster. There is now open hostility between us and we believe they have subverted agents within the Courts of Maal. Be wary of the school, we no longer send solitary priests out from the temple. They never return. We also find it odd that the Church of Mormekar has chosen to publicly denounce the School of Ancient Knowledge for some reason. Going so far as to even dispute land grants which are trivial and I cannot recollect the last time anyone disputed this simple procedure, least of all to the school.” Statinistor starts, "Aleena tells me Kindoras Keep is thriving no thanks to your lashing tongue against the pyromancers who fled in fear when a frost worm attacked."

“I am not sorry for getting them motivated. They were shirking their responsibility. We easily could have been destroyed had they not got up to their post.” Menthos responds

"Kador tells me before the next full moon you shall have a revelation that will make your fire more pure. I am happy you have returned so that I may be able to be there when you receive this blessing." Statinistor comments, “also a Babau clutch and an Osiluth commander arrived in Highcastle yesterday looking for a party matching some of the people you are know to carouse with. They left about an hour after arriving, apparently satisfied that whatever they were looking for was no longer here. You wouldn't know anything about this would you?” Statinistor inquired

“No, I took out an interest free loan.” Menthos deflects the question.

Menthos takes a deep breath, walks into the flames and is transported back to the scrying room in Statinistor’s quarters.

Last edited:

Fireworks

Kalen’s servant returns with a thick dusty tome. He hands the books off and teleports out again. Kalen inspects the cover and deeming it correct, tosses the heavy tome onto the table in front of Haimish. The book scatters several plates and glasses off the table to shatter on the floor below.

“Your answer.” Kalen says

“This whole thing? Why don’t you sum it up for me?” Haimish replies

“Because the answer lies within and I do not have the kind of time it would take to find you the specific page you require. Your request was to find you a solution, not to impregnate it into your memory.” Kalen responds

“You’re awfully touchy for a twice dead guy.” Haimish replies

“The answer does not reside within that tome; Kalen knows very well where the answer lies. Through me!” Ina-Herit shouts

The drow returns with a scroll case of made from spider silk, “Your stipulation, and here is my offer.” The drow pulls out a leathery piece of spider hide inscribed with arcane runes.

“Deceiver! Your liege isn’t even powerful enough to send you the answer communally.” Lord Ina-Herit accuses

“Your god with be the first to secrete the nourishment for our cavalry.” The drow returns fire

“Which will ride out to terrorize shrieker colonies everywhere. Better lock up your fungus, Lolth is coming.” Lord Ina-Herit retorts

“You mock the greater being dead one, I shall not forget this slight. Your eternal agony shall become my life’s goal.” The drow answers

“Really? I’m disappointed. You have a brother or a father that can take your place? I don’t feel all that threatened by a female drow.” Lord Ina-Herit insults

The drow draws her hand crossbows and speaks a few arcane words in dark elven. The wizard eyes sunk low and cast a pale green light on the drow paralyzing her. She then disappears along with six wizard eyes. A few more pop in and surround Lord Ina-Herit.

“What? I did nothing; it is not the fault of one if another can not take the truth. Perhaps you would do better off not allowing any Lolth representatives on this island?” Lord Ina-Herit seems to speak to one of the eyes.

“I believe, I am the only suitor left?” Kalen says

“Fine.” Lord Ina-Herit groans. The mummy reaches into his wrapped torso and pulls out a bone scroll case, “Within is a map to your destination and my offer for the blood.” Lord Ina-Herit says while looking back at Kalen, “and if I were you, I’d avoid giving that one anything.”

“May I have the rock?” Kalen requests

“Wait, wasn’t there a couple more bidders?” Haimish questions

“Yes.” The Rakshasa, here is your requested information, and here is my bid.” The Rakshasa states while handing Haimish a small note and dropping three thick tomes on the table.

“Don’t forget about me.” The erinyes says, teleporting in on top of the table in front of Haimish naked from the waist up, “Oops” *giggle* “Wardrobe malfunction.” The devil takes a paint brush from her hair and begins tracing words across her chest.

“Do you have the answer or where you looking to turn a trick?” Haimish inquires

“I’m writing your answer out so I don’t forget it.” The erinyes answers still drawing across her breasts

“How am I going to review it if I can’t see it?” Haimish asks

“Give me access to your quarters and you can look it over anytime you want.” The erinyes answers

“What’s your offer going to be then?” Haimish wondered

“Oh? I’m sure I stuck an offer here somewhere, maybe you could help me find it? Please?” The erinyes pleads seductively.

“I’m going to need to think this over.” Haimish hurriedly answered and scooped up all the pertinent information before teleporting back to his shared room.

Menthos emerges deep in the center of the Kadorian temple; he instantly could feel he was in a much hotter environment than Kindoras Keep.

“Much better, too cold up north.” Menthos relates

“Welcome back, I am glad the temple of fire warms your heart so.” Helle states

“Jack-ass. Do you have any research resources on sight? I need to know what they took from Hledra that’s got the nine hells all menstrual over it.” Menthos asks

“We have an envious collection of material on the usefulness of collected material in determining the responses to questions rhetorically asked.” Helle answered

“Excellent, take me there at once.” Menthos demands

“You’ll have to wait until morning, Statinistor is debriefing a special guest there.” Helle responds

“Really? Who’s the lucky lady?” Menthos wiggles his eyebrows

“You’ll find out tomorrow.” Helle answers

“Do you know where Doopa’s hanging out at?” Menthos asks

“He entered himself, along with two strangers, in the games yesterday. I believe they finished third, much of that due to Doopa’s insistence that brawn trumps brain.” Helle answers

“Where is he now?” Menthos inquires

“Drowning his winnings in dwarven ale at the Laughing Unicorn just off Market Street.” Helle replies

Menthos bids his farewell to Helle, telling him he’ll be back later that evening and will try to speak with Statinistor then. He heads off to the Laughing Unicorn to talk with Doopa about the rest of the party’s escape from Hledra.

The bar is brightly colored and stood out like a succubus at a paladin’s retirement party. Pinks, yellows, purples and colors Menthos didn’t even want to guess their names decorated the outside; streamers, bows, white horses with horns strapped to their heads roamed freely through the tavern each carrying a load of drinks on it’s back.

Surprisingly to Menthos Doopa did not stand out so easily, there were a few ogres, trolls, and orcs in the bar likely there to offset the pompousness of the elves and Halflings which dominated the patron’s numbers. It was Doopa that found Menthos.

“Mentos! Where you go? Doopa mist you!” The ogre cries out and gives the teifling a bear hug

“Ack. Put me down.” Menthos gets out as Doopa drops him the three feet to the floor

“Doopa win toe-free . See?” Doopa holds up a good sized cup with “3rd place” emblazoned on the side. The ogre had drunk so much from it in two days that the gold paint they used on the outside was already worn off on the cup’s handles and blackish stains discolored the gold paint on the inside of the cup.

“What happened to you guys after I left?” Menthos asked

“You left? Xanax say you dead. Is Minty dead? You no look dead.” Doopa states

“Is there some problem here?” A waiter interjected himself in the conversation

“Yes, you’re the problem. Butt out.” Menthos addresses the man

“Sir, if you’re not drinking then you’re going to have to leave.” The waiter states

“I think if you checked your tabs you’d realize my buddy here is doing enough drinking for the both of us.” Menthos replies

The waiter motions for a bouncer and a large troll wearing a unicorn skull walks up and shoves Menthos on the back, “You come with me.”

“Hey no don’t shove Minty like dat, I’ll fit ya right here.” Doopa says and drops his cup and begins searching for his club.

“Swamp thing, take your hands off me before I char you so bad your grandfather will cook in his grave.” Menthos says showing him the Kador holy symbol.

“Is that supposed to impress me?” The troll replies

“No, if I wanted to impress you, I’d drop my pants.” Menthos answers

The troll heaves Menthos off the floor as Doopa punches the bouncer in the face causing him to drop Menthos behind him onto a table full of drinking orcs who immediately stagger to their feet.

“You make me spill. I cut you!” The orcs draw their blades as the troll turns to try and separate this new fight breaking out

Doopa twists and falls on his rear to the floor, he gets helped up by a human and drow, the former hands Doopa his club back.

Menthos rolls off the table and knocks an orc over as the surrounding tables begin to empty and scatter. Two ogre bouncers are called over to assist the troll as Doopa takes a swing and connects with the back of the troll. The troll responds by grabbing the heads of two of the inebriated orcs and shoving them into Doopa. The human grabs the orc of the left’s arm and shoves a greatsword through clavicle via the orc’s armpit.

The drow retreats enough to give himself clearance as his fires off his hand crossbow into the wall opposite the orcs.

“Fascist wall!” The drow shouts

Menthos gets to his feet and heads for the exit when the waiter throws a forearm around Menthos’ neck and begins to squeeze, “Where do you think you’re going teifling?”

“I’m gonna burn this place down.” Menthos responds while fingering through his pockets looking for an opal to drop.

The troll latches onto Doopa’s chest and rends his claws sideways, Doopa lets out a drunken snarl and pokes the troll’s eyes. The troll stumbles backwards and crashes through the orc’s table. Meanwhile a few Halflings from the other side of the tavern begin indiscriminately launching sling bullets into the melee fray.

The noise inside attracts a dwarven posse on the outside who stick their heads in, see orcs with weapons drawn and immediately charge. The human spins around Doopa and slices open the other orc that was tossed by the troll. The drow backs up some more and fires a hand crossbow from his other hand, this one sails true and strikes an orc through the eye socket, however it was the dead orc.

“Failure only proves my superiority!” The drow screams as his arbitrarily kicks over a halfling who was staring at the fight.

“Here, hold this for me.” Menthos says as he hands over a fire opal to the waiter.

“I don’t want your bribe demon-man!” The waiter screams and throws the fire opal towards the bar.

The resulting explosion threw Menthos and the waiter through the entrance door and across the street.

“You killed them all?” The stunned waiter exclaimed

“Me? You’re the one who threw the bomb.” Menthos answered, stood, and dusted himself off as Doopa wondered out of the tavern carrying the human and drow with him.

Haimish surveyed the unrolled parchment papers and dusty tomes that had been delivered to him in a bid to win the blood of some ancient creature that a variety of evil creatures wanted at all cost.

“Ho! Abyssal I see, are you consorting with devils Haimish? The mountains will be very displeased with this news.” Kourk rants

“No, I’m trying to kill two birds with one stone.” Haimish answers

“What’s that you say, why would the killing of two birds with only one rock be a desirable solution when you are finished reading those vile words? Have you turned to a life of abject violence? I could perhaps lecture you on the virtues of diplomacy or perhaps you are ready to begin a lesson into sainthood?” Kourk offers

“What are you blathering about? I’m trying to solve the riddle of an ice gate that’s so far proven to be troublesome. Your silence in this matter would be greatly appreciated.” Haimish replies

Before Kourk can respond, Adokul materializes in the room.

“Adokul, have your travels led you to the same dark decrepit place as our bardic friend there? Have you too sampled the despicable nectar from the flower of malevolence?” Kourk asks

“What did you tell him!” Adokul demands from Haimish

“I told him to leave me alone.” Haimish answers

“Yes, I see it in your eyes and across your cheeks now. Very telling, what kind of debauchery exists beyond those walls? What level of immorality am I being kept against my will from cleansing?” Kourk shouts

“I’m going to wash up.” Adokul states

“Better check yourself, I’d take Kourk along if I was you. Pixie dust can be a very bad irritant.” Haimish alerts the mage

“Pixie dust? What manner of creature assailed you?” Kourk questions

“I was not attacked, I was interrupted in a very important business deal. Thanks to your bardic friend over there I had to renegotiate and valuable time was lost and could not be made up.” Adokul states

“Perhaps a discussion with me might ease the worries of your business partner? I will swear upon your good faith and will tirelessly endeavor to ensure that your rightful property is returned to you.” Kourk says

Haimish just sits and laughs and laughs, Adokul’s face turns redder and redder, “I do not need you help!” Adokul shouts and slams the privy door.

Haimish stares at the parchments and makes his selection, he opens the room’s exit door and asks that one of the guards outside how to alert someone they wish to speak with them. Haimish is given instructions and teleports away amid the constant pounding on the privy door by Kourk asking Adokul if he needs absolution.

Haimish appears in a lavishly decorated room, Haimish could sense wealth in the very air around him. Incense and candles of all shapes and scents burned in the room, creating a hodgepodge of smoke and dim lighting in the circular room.

“Am I to understand that your presence here means that you have taken my offer and are here to deliver the rock to me?” The Rakshasa asks

“Yes, do you have the payment?” Haimish asks

“Yes I do.” The Rakshasa answers and turns to face a tapestry on the wall behind him. It depicted a huge library run by the cat-like race the Rakshasa belonged to, the cat reached into the tapestry itself and pulled free three books, “here is your payment.”

Haimish salivated over the books in hopes the Rakshasa was being truthful with him and not trying deceive, then he remembered what the Rakshasas are notorious for.

“Good, you’ll have no problem opening those for me to make sure we’re both dealing on good faith here?” Haimish asks

“Sure.” The Rakshasa opened the books one by one and flipped through the pages, satisfied that he was not getting an obvious trap, Haimish parted way with his ice rock and collected the tomes.

“Thank you little one, this item shall prove very useful to us.” The Rakshasa excitedly stated and then he teleported out.

Haimish returned to the room as Xanthos and Eeyore were being returned, Eeyore was up and moving around in skin that looked like it had been badly burned. Xanthos was still unconscious and laid out on the bed.

“He must not engage in strenuous activity for at least three days hence.” The Sithilar stated towards Xanthos, “He is fine to go.” The creature said as it pointed to Eeyore.

“Eeyore! What glorious news do you bring from the verge of death, was paradise everything a non-humanoid would wish it to be?” Kourk asked

“I don’t remember anything.” Eeyore answers

“Oh, pity. Well I am versed in any number of funeral and interment rites, if you feel the pull of your non-human deity and you wish to leave us behind, please feel free and know that your body will receive the highest in quality services.” Kourk advises

“You there halt!” A constable shouts at the Laughing Unicorn’s waiter

Menthos grabs a hold of the man’s collar and yanks him back down onto his rear, “I’ve got him officer!”

The police arrive on the scene as well as the volunteer fire department they take both Menthos and the waiter into custody. The waiter blubbers about begging for forgiveness as Menthos watches Doopa and his two suitcases of flesh stroll out of the burning edifice.

“What went on here!” The constable demands

“He threw a fireball into the bar, I tried to stop him but his snake-like mentality was able to grant him freedom, I only wish I could have acted sooner and spared the lives of those people. Their families will never be able to share joy with their loved ones ever again.

A few more minutes of questioning and the waiter begging forgiveness convinced them to let the tiefling go and take the waiter to the gallows. The building was slowly turning from a giant bonfire down to a mere smolder. Menthos motioned for Doopa to follow him back to the Kador temple. Once they had reached their destination they were met by Helle in the foyer.

“Where were you guys! I sent up the signal could you not see it from here?” Menthos advises

“As has been explained to you, travel beyond our walls is a dangerous proposition.” Helle states

“Could have been me going to the gallows, if not for my quick tongue and dashingly good looks.” Menthos answers

“Yeah, your quick tongue got you thrown out of the place.” The greatsword wielding human states

“I see you’ve yet again managed new friends despite your whip-like idioms.” Helle states, “Welcome to the temple of the fire cleanser, the flame of rebirth, and the passion within.”

“I am Dahlgren, seeker of truths hidden. This is my traveling companion Aust, we’ve just come from the steppes of the barbarians after unearthing some things to further my cause.” Dahlgren states

“I Doopa. Doopa winner of biggest ale cup ever!” Doopa shouts triumphantly while holding his worn trophy high in the air.

Aust wanders over to a brazier burning brightly in the hallway, “So we meet again brazier, it is with disdain that I fondly remember our last encounter. You will not abscond me of my flesh this time for I am prepared for you wily ways. My eyes move at the speed of sight and they are ever vigilant. Rest here well knowing that in the morning I come to destroy you.”

“He seems to be not so well.” Helle advises

“I’m not worried, the only thing he hit the entire brawl at the bar was a dead orc, and if that’s his level of expertise then I’ve got nothing to fear.” Menthos replied

“Do not let his eccentric behavior fool you; he is an expert assassin and shadower. He once trailed a modron across Mechanus without being detected even by the plane itself.” Dahlgren relates

“Why would he do that? Did he kill it?” Menthos asks

“Life is not the only thing he assassinates.” Dahlgren warns

“I’m sure he kills the room at comedy clubs all through the underdark as well.” Menthos answers

Aust walks up to Menthos, “You smell of impregnable collapse, I shall seek what it is that ails your heart so. Perhaps through understand of your mystifying perplexity you can reach enlightenment with the dim light that shines over your dazzling brazier of fire. One should be so lucky.”

“Do you mock me so with your appendage heaving verbiage?” Menthos answers

“I discovered that crutch support is far more needful than factual basis.” Aust replies

“Stop it, my head spins. Statinistor will see you now Menthos.” Helle advises

Menthos follows the pyromancer up to the roof of the building. The dome has been transformed into some kind of wicked aerie.

“Menthos, good to see you again. I hope all is well with you.” Statinistor asks

“So far.” Menthos answers

“Tonight, you have the privilege of creating the first wave of a new breed of pyromancers, one that has no limitations of spells or rest, one that can adapt to any situation. Beyond fire, beyond heat, there rests the ember. The potential for so much more, the start of everything there will be.” Statinistor says

“I don’t get it?” Menthos answers

“You will, in time. Our conditions here are far more favorable that your previous, unbeknownst to you, try. I will retrieve you when Kador renews.” Statinistor says and disappears along with the only exit door.

In front of Menthos spans a large gap over the central hall of the temple, a slim walkway circumnavigates the dome. A large rushing sound erupts from below and a huge fire explodes up past the walkway some twenty feet, almost touching the ceiling. Then the unmistakable sound of large wings flapping could be heard of the roaring fire, whatever was coming, was coming fast.

“When Minty get back?” Doopa asked

“When he's done or dead. Its up to him.” Helle answered

“Not high on ambiguity here are you?” Dahlgren asked

“I smell a bad moon rising, I hear black approaching, I can see the sounds of many warriors cut down, yet no one asks why I weep.” Aust interjects

Last edited:

Remove ads