The Actual Table of Contents for Xanathar's Guide to Everything

A lot of good stuff there. Of course, on the DM side, a lot of stuff is not there, but I like what I see. Actually, one of the most useful things will be the appendix of sample names.

A lot of good stuff there.

Of course, on the DM side, a lot of stuff is not there, but I like what I see.

Actually, one of the most useful things will be the appendix of sample names.

pemerton

Legend
maybe Crawford has fielded hundreds or thousands of questions about tying knots as the rule Sage, and felt a need to get something down in writing.
Maybe. Perhaps there are all these unsung nautical campaigns going on out there? Or prisoner-taking, followed by escape attempts!

I'm probably being a bit unfair - no doubt they have some reason for including it, and I think I'm the only person who has brought it up in this thread as a target of criticism. It just really stood out to me - I've GMed a lot of gritty fantasy RPGing over the years, in systems with very granular resolution and PC build systems (eg Rolemaster; Burning Wheel) and this has almost never come up. So how can a less-granular, less-gritty system need official rules for it?

But if it will make someone's day, then good luck to them!

CaddoGSajwod

First Post
Am I going to buy this book for what it adds to 5e as far as official content goes? Yes. Am I at least a little disappointed by what's not included? Yes. Honestly, when they first started talking about this book, it sounded like it was going to be 250+ pages. Less than 200 for over $40 before taxes feels like a bit of rip off. I'm happy that the book will have great art, but great art alone isn't justification for a higher price tag for a lesser page count. I'm sorry but I'm not a fan of paying more than $.25/page for my TT books.

neobolts

Explorer
What I liked. I like the looks of XGtE. A lot of the UA material is being collected in one place and cleaned up. This book in going to get a lot of use. I'm hoping the DM section really gives players some direction of what to do with their big piles of gold that are gathering dust.

What I'm questioning. I was surprised that Feats for Skills didn't make it. Also, hopefully Revised Ranger or another ranger variant will make it into print someday. I will add my voice to the others saying that a dozen pages of generated names is wasted ink and paper in the internet age.

My thoughts on this thread. I've seen some forum-goers weighing in on the DM section adding a bunch of rules. I would think everything in the DM section is optional. I don't play AL, but it that what this is about?...That AL DMs will have to use the knots, downtime, crafting, etc rules?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
To my eye, the most outrageous thing on that table of contents is a separate rules entry for tying knots! Seriously? Now we need rules for whistling, and maybe for getting dressed. (Oh, wait, we already have a chart for that.)

I am firmly Team Pro-Knot.

Three years ago, I posted a thread about Use Rope in 5e. Given is placement in the TOC, I am hopeful that's what this is -- a tool proficiency in rope. :D

But if it will make someone's day, then good luck to them!
Thank you.

G

Guest 6801328

My thoughts on this thread. I've seen some forum-goers weighing in on the DM section adding a bunch of rules. I would think everything in the DM section is optional. I don't play AL, but it that what this is about?...That AL DMs will have to use the knots, downtime, crafting, etc rules?

No, I don't think so.

As far as I can tell, what this is about is:
1) The (understandable) disappointment that there aren't more sub-classes, which is being blamed partly on...
2) The inclusion of reprints of sub-classes from SCAG (under the belief that if they hadn't been included, others would have), which they believe was done primarily because of...
3) The AL PHB+1 rule.

Ergo, the only reason there aren't more player options in Xan's is because of AL. It has absolutely nothing to do with WotC's desire to maintain a quality product.

Is that about right?

I find it hard to muster much sympathy.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
They have specifically said that the subclasses that are being reprinted are in there because they are both popular and are sufficiently non-Realms enough to include in a book that is non-Realms on its own. Despite the name of a Realms NPC being in the title, this book is meant to be not specific to one world.

Have they? I hadn't heard. So they've even said that they did it for reasons other than AL, and people are still mad at AL for it. Sounds about right.

I'm curious what the "This is your life" section will add to the game. It doesn't say there are new Backgrounds. But it does add "events" prior to adventuring. I wonder if it is just fluff or if there are mechanical additions there.

G

Guest 6801328

I'm curious what the "This is your life" section will add to the game. It doesn't say there are new Backgrounds. But it does add "events" prior to adventuring. I wonder if it is just fluff or if there are mechanical additions there.

One can only hope that it's about the player, not the character, and is brutally honest.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
On the discussion about the value of names tables... some folks don’t allow tech near a game table with the game in progress.

I expect that folks on an online forum will expect to be able to google at a session and tech proliferation in the early 21st century is what it is. But low tech is only useless if you have access to better.

Remove ads

Remove ads