• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Advantage of MtG over D&D

Ibram

First Post
To me comparing M:tG and D&D is like comparing Football and painting, both are things people do to have fun but both have a drasticly different approach to that fun.

M:tG is for directly competing against a person (or several people in a multiplayer game) D&D is about gettting together and creating a story together. What works well in one does not work well in the other (I have a hard time imagining how a D&D Tourniment would work).

As someone who plays both games I cannot see how people can think that M:tG is easier to learn then D&D. Both games take an evening to learn the basics, but while D&D can be mastered rather quickly Magic takes years and years to perfect.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
If someone here is missing a post, it's probably because it was in very poor taste.

Mind the granny, please.

Last edited:

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
It sounds like the actual problem is "Don't be a dork about the rules if you don't know them."

I mean, MM, you aren't seriously suggesting that people who have always played D&D with massive amounts of house rules, and have had huge amounts of fun doing it, AND have never posted on these boards complaining about the rules are doing anything wrong, are you? It sounds like your problem is with doorknobs who get all huffy and insist that their rules are better, even if they don't know the rules as written very well.

The problem isn't people failing to learn the rules. Like Psion says -- if you're having fun, you're doing it right.

The problem is people being doorknobs. Which gets my goat, too. Which is why I tend to drop such heavy loads of sarcasm, invective and snideness on their heads when they do so.

I mean, "Which is why I try to set an example of common sense and tolerance for them, because I know that's the only way people learn." :D

ivocaliban

First Post
Elephant said:
Three things:

First, think of the "apples and oranges" cliche. You're doing it.

Second, competence (sorry, but it was grating on my nerves).

Third, you don't have to torture yourself by playing by an idiotic official rule in order to be capable of evaluating it. Critical thinking skills are not contingent on game experience.

It does help, though.

Amen. I was going to reply, but I'll simply trust in the succinct clarity of the Elephant.

Michael Morris

First Post
barsoomcore said:
It sounds like the actual problem is "Don't be a dork about the rules if you don't know them."

I mean, MM, you aren't seriously suggesting that people who have always played D&D with massive amounts of house rules, and have had huge amounts of fun doing it, AND have never posted on these boards complaining about the rules are doing anything wrong, are you? It sounds like your problem is with doorknobs who get all huffy and insist that their rules are better, even if they don't know the rules as written very well.

Nailhead - meet hammer! That's exactly what I ranted about - though I didn't put it in those terms.

The problem isn't people failing to learn the rules. Like Psion says -- if you're having fun, you're doing it right.

The problem is people being doorknobs. Which gets my goat, too. Which is why I tend to drop such heavy loads of sarcasm, invective and snideness on their heads when they do so.

I mean, "Which is why I try to set an example of common sense and tolerance for them, because I know that's the only way people learn." :D

Heh heh - Guilty :)

ivocaliban

First Post
Michael Morris said:
Objectives aside, Magic has a clearer set of rules that is easier to teach. Now I'll admit, part of that is the nature of the games themselves - RPG's can never be as clean cut as CCG's.

But part of that is also this willingness to tinker can horrendously backfire when you're starting out :)

For the same reason, I also feel no one should DM without having played before.

Under this logic, I would never have become involved with roleplaying. We don't all have the benefit of being in a large city or social environment where it's possible to play a game before being a DM. Fourteen years ago I forked out the dough for some D&D books, read them, got some friends together and started playing. Worked pretty well, too. Wish I'd known I'd been doing it wrong all this time. Could have saved a lot of time and money. ;)

Ranger REG

Explorer
Michael Morris said:
I guess what I've trying to say, ranting aside, is that people would have more fun with the game if they'd learn it BEFORE trying to change it. At least play a house rule free game ONCE in your life. It isn't that bad.
You mean, like the early days of Dungeons & Dragons? Where no prior version exist so we take the rules and play it as is? Then as we grow more comfortable with the rules, we start to tinker them to our own specific flavor and taste?

You are right, the rules are consistent, most especially when the bulk of the rules are printed on the cards. So, when they come up with new cards, it's like coming up with new feats or classes for that other game, D&D. And they can print them cheap. But like any good game, it has both a set of rules and a setting (Dominiara). Although I'm sure you can take the TCG rules and apply to other settings but that would be too time-consuming for "GMs." Just let the TCG publishers do that for you.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Michael Morris said:
...in my opinion until you sit down and work with the game within changing any of the rules as written i order to learn them you have no right to criticize and no competance to evaluate them.

While actually using the rules as written may increase a person's understanding, this position has the basic weakness of stressing the absolutes - No right, and no competence. Absolutes are likely to come 'round and bite you on the behind.

Humans are thinking apes. We have the cognitive ability to see how a thing is put together and figure out how it can work without having upteen years of hands-on experience. Actually working with the rules extensively with the rules is an invaluable help, sure. But don't discount the human ability to deal well with theory.

Remove ads