The Adventure of the Great Hunt is a Sneak Look At Pendragon 6E

Chaosium, on the second anniversary of company founder Greg Stafford's passing, has released a sneak look at the Pendragon 6th Edition rules and a free adventure. Pendragon is an Arthurian tabletop roleplaying game, first published in 1985. This 6th edition has been in the works for nearly a decade, and Stafford referred to it as the 'ultimate edition' of the game.

cover-adventure-of-the-great-hunt.png

The package contains the core rules, the adventure itself (The Adventure of the Great Hunt, which is designed as a one-shot single session of play), and six pre-generated characters. The six characters are The Adventuring Knight, The Champion Knight, The Courtier Knight, The Hardy Knight, The Hunter Knight, and The Religious Knight. Players are encouraged to come up with their own names and coats of arms.

aramis erak

Legend
This sounds quite interesting. I've never used Pendragon, but the system sounds good.
The system is pretty solid...
The setting as presented in pre-6th editions is politically incorrect these days. And it is so intentionally - Arthurian literature has largely been clearly dividing gender roles, and the exceptions are notable for being exceptions. 4th and later have small sections on making it play more politically correct.

The system is pretty solid...
The setting as presented in pre-6th editions is politically incorrect these days. And it is so intentionally - Arthurian literature has largely been clearly dividing gender roles, and the exceptions are notable for being exceptions. 4th and later have small sections on making it play more politically correct.

My players are old-school, so no worries there. Selling them on the Arthurian virtues is what would be the challenge.

aramis erak

Legend
My players are old-school, so no worries there. Selling them on the Arthurian virtues is what would be the challenge.
That's what the religious bonus (which grants +6 HP for Christians, +1d6 damage for Wotanics) and Chivalry Bonus (+3 Armor, and 3 armor vs falls - falls in non-battle jousts have been a major problem for Wotanic knights.)

That's what the religious bonus (which grants +6 HP for Christians, +1d6 damage for Wotanics) and Chivalry Bonus (+3 Armor, and 3 armor vs falls - falls in non-battle jousts have been a major problem for Wotanic knights.)
They do love a bonus!

But my group is motivated by four basic principles: spite, greed, petty-mindedness, and irrational affections for inconsequential NPCs. I just don't see them keeping a Chivalry Bonus for long....

MGibster

Legend
Pendragon is a game I thought I'd never get to play. But with this pandemic going, I might as well ask my players if they'd be interested in The Great Pendragon Campaign.

aramis erak

Legend
They do love a bonus!

But my group is motivated by four basic principles: spite, greed, petty-mindedness, and irrational affections for inconsequential NPCs. I just don't see them keeping a Chivalry Bonus for long....
If they don't, they lose it.
Should they ever qualify for the Evil Religious Bonus, they cease to be PCs. (At least in 4th.)

And, if they're that outside the pale, the traits can be, at GM decision, used as "you need to fail on _ to do _" or "you need to pass _ to do _."

EG: JS, playing Sir Talroc, decided to go a-looting. But he said, "I'm avoiding the raping part that is so common in sacking a town..."
I say, "The adventure says you need to roll chaste to avoid participation in that aspect."
He says, "May I fail my Lustful, instead?" (Due to a directed trait on Chaste, his odds were better on lustful.)
So I let him. And he crits Lustful. "Fade to black. Next morning, Uther is heard to say, ‹Where is Talroc?›" I ask him to roll energetic... fumble. Test lazy? Success! "Talroc is awakened by the sound of formation... several blocks away..."
When he shows up late and obviously due to haveing been unchaste, Uther utters, "If you can't keep it under your tunic, put it on your shield!"
Talroc's Arms: Per chevron purpure and vert, a sword between two chalices or; on a canton sinister sable, a 1 eyed snake arising from its coils affronty argent.

If they don't, they lose it.
Should they ever qualify for the Evil Religious Bonus, they cease to be PCs. (At least in 4th.)

And, if they're that outside the pale, the traits can be, at GM decision, used as "you need to fail on _ to do " or "you need to pass to do _."

EG: JS, playing Sir Talroc, decided to go a-looting. But he said, "I'm avoiding the raping part that is so common in sacking a town..."
I say, "The adventure says you need to roll chaste to avoid participation in that aspect."
He says, "May I fail my Lustful, instead?" (Due to a directed trait on Chaste, his odds were better on lustful.)
So I let him. And he crits Lustful. "Fade to black. Next morning, Uther is heard to say, ‹Where is Talroc?›" I ask him to roll energetic... fumble. Test lazy? Success! "Talroc is awakened by the sound of formation... several blocks away..."
When he shows up late and obviously due to haveing been unchaste, Uther utters, "If you can't keep it under your tunic, put it on your shield!"
Talroc's Arms: Per chevron purpure and vert, a sword between two chalices or; on a canton sinister sable, a 1 eyed snake arising from its coils affronty argent.

Well, they've never been inclined toward rape, but commercialized sex is a common undertaking, and in any setting with gold dentalwork will see them carrying pliers.

Still, the Saxon supplement might be a good fit...

aramis erak

Legend
Well, they've never been inclined toward rape, but commercialized sex is a common undertaking, and in any setting with gold dentalwork will see them carrying pliers.

Still, the Saxon supplement might be a good fit...
Several published adventures for 1-4 ed make note that the players who pillage have to pass chaste to avoid "enjoying the locals without their consent" as part of the major pillage.

But alas, Poor Sir Talroc had other things to cope with. Ticked off Morgana. -1 to horse survival rolls. ticked off Titania, forced to be silent save for riddles and rhymes. (Player was up to the challenge for that one.) Went through 3 wives in 3 years. (Dead in childbirth every one.)

Michael O'Brien

Hero
Publisher
Our sneak peek of the forthcoming Pendragon 6th Edition core rules and accompanying scenario, Greg Stafford's The Adventure of the Great Hunt, is now available in Japanese!

アップデート:日本語でもご利用いただけるようになりました!​

FK5iMNYVgAIg37H

Along with English, Russian, and Italian. All free to download at our Itch.io page:

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases