The Age of Worms - Morrus' Campaign - Finished 6th August!!

GeorgeFields

Explorer
Rafa said:
And yet, we still manage to work ourselves into illness and mental disfunction like nobody's business. Gotta love the contradiction.

Back on topic: updates? Pretty please? I love your writing-it's very engaging.

True on both counts.

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
Inconsequenti-AL said:
Yup - we sorted you out! :)

Although we really did ourselves no favours trying that bit without you... it hurt a lot! :uhoh:

Absolutely. We went into a maze filled with secret doors without the elf rogue with all the spot/listen/search skills. Can you say "ambush"?

Eccles

As we were exhausted by our efforts in the Erythnull temple, we rested for a long time. After the first night, Flynne was keen to press onwards as far and as fast as possible, but we were too tired and our resources too spent to enter a new temple. We spent another day and night without straining ourselves, but on the next morning, Flynne announced that it was an elven ‘day of rest’, and that he could not join us for several hours until his devotional meditations were complete.

The rest of us discussed matters, and then decided to open the next temple. We could, after all, retreat if it proved too difficult for us. We prepared carefully; Endo casting his spells of protection and once again being shrouded by dark spirits. We dressed in dark robes from the Hextor temple, once again hoping to talk our way into the temple itself.

The silver key we had taken from the cleric of Erythnull fit perfectly into the lock, and we pushed the door open. The door swung open smoothly and silently at Niccoli’s push – beyond lay a narrow grey stone passageway, dimly lit by regularly spaced glowing stones set into the walls. Looking down the corridor we could see a number of side passageways leading off at right angles. Taking a decision to stick to the left wall in case we got lost, we moved into the network of passages.

After a few minutes of slow exploration, we came into sight of a small room. Almost immediately, I could hear a series of slamming stone doors from around us. I looked around, and could see a number of hooded figures who weren’t there before. Peeking from under the brown hoods I could see two dark eyes set above what appeared to be an oversized crow’s beak. Feathered hands gripped at daggers and crossbows, whilst taloned feet clicked almost noiselessly on the stone floor.

Before I could shout an alarm, quarrels flew from every direction. Nearly a full half dozen of the bird-like kenku stepped from concealed doors and shadows firing and reloading as they came. Bolts slammed into Endo and Igmut, irritating the half-orc, but severely wounding the more vulnerable mage.

Before any of us managed to react, the creatures reloaded and fired again; leaving Endo barely able to stand and Igmut extremely angry. We drew weapons and prepared to counter-attack, when the bird-men dashed around various corners or stepped back through well-crafted secret doors. Igmut was left with no target on which to vent his anger.

My first action was to cast a spell on Endo, healing his wounds before he and I moved into the relative safety of the small room. Unfortunately, my assessment was proved wrong a few moments later, as the kenku sprang a second round of attacks. Several moved out to shoot and strike at Igmut, whilst one in the small room dropped his grey cloak, seemingly appearing out of nowhere next to Endo, who he stabbed through the shoulder, undoing the healing spell I had so recently cast.

Behind me, I could hear the sound of Igmut’s axe cleaving through a body, accompanied by the sound of Niccoli’s armoured form dashing up past me and swinging at Endo’s attacker. He missed, but from out in the corridor blossomed an orange glow of fire as some of the kenku flung alchemist’s fire at Igmut, scorching his flesh.

Last edited:

Eccles

I drew my rapier, dashed the length of the room and then thrust with it. The blade took the kenku neatly at the base of the throat, and it gurgled bloodily, slumping to the floor even as I withdrew the blade. I gazed in astonishment at how easily it was to kill a living being.

Heavily wounded, Endo moved to behind Igmut, and cast his dazing spell at one of the foes, stunning it. 10 feet to my left, a stone panel slid open in my room, and a kenku stepped through flinging a flask at me. I ducked under it, and fire bloomed over the wall behind me. Back out in the corridor, a second flask ‘whoomphed’ as Igmut burst into yet more flames.

Niccoli crossed the room in a few easy strides, and cut the kenku across the torso, nearly taking it to the ground in one blow. I stepped across to join him, and stabbed this second kenku through the chest with my rapier, dropping him to the floor to join his friend.

.oOo.

Outside, the screams of the dying kenku was echoed by Igmut’s screams of frustration as the sight of his enemy’s fleeing back. He and Endo gave up, and joined us in the room to allow us to recover. Next to me, Niccoli pulled a morningstar from his belt, and began slamming it at the wall from which the sneaky kenku had entered the room.

With an almighty BANG, a stone slab slammed down from the ceiling to lock the four of us into the room. The hissing of running sand could be heard, and was soon joined by the clanking of ratchets and mechanisms from behind the wall. Igmut stepped up next to Niccoli, and joined him in smashing at the stone panel.

With a clank, the wall behind us and began to grind slowly towards us. Igmut and Endo slammed ever more desperately at the wall, whilst Endo and I drove wedged to slow the grinding advance of the sliding wall, which drew closer and closer despite our efforts, pushing us on the flailing morningstars of Niccoli and Igmut.

Eccles

Pausing only to cast a spell of strength enhancement on Niccoli, the two warriors crashed through the wall mere moments before the room became too small for them to swing their weapons. It led into a small dark passageway, which we all packed into. Endo paused for a few moments to examine the wall, muttering about the quality of the build and explaining trigger mechanisms and hinges, before pushing on a small panel and causing the door to swing silently open. We poured out of the tiny passageway to find ourselves a scant twenty feet from the entrance to the maze. We cursed in frustration.

.oOo.

Pausing to cast restorative spells on one another, we turned back to the maze, and continued our exploration. The passageways were complicated and intricate, and we moved slowly, wary of an ambush.

After a number of minutes of careful exploration, we heard a series of high pitched squealing. Niccoli gripped his sword and dashed around the next corner; I could hear a swish and two thumps. By the time I reached the corner, I could see Niccoli standing, leaning on his sword, next to the decapitated bodies of two massive weasels. He grinned, and beckoned us forwards.

Eccles

Creeping onwards, we were ambushed once again. Stone panels slid open behind and amidst us, whilst kenku dashed from several directions. One was larger than the others, whilst another chanted briefly as he advanced, directing a narrow dark lance of energy at Niccoli, sapping him of strength and vitality as it struck him.

I tried my best to thwart the spellcaster by throwing a spell back at him from almost point-blank range, but was unsuccessful as he shook off the sound-disrupting energies of my magic. Endo, however, had no such problem. His spell shot over my shoulder and struck the kenku sorcerer in the face, and I could see from inches away as his eyes misted and went pearly-white in blindness.

For his troubles, Endo was immediately shot twice, and the kenku sorcerer pulled out a feather and muttered to it. It warped and grew, elongating and turning leathery. A huge whip unfurled, and hung in the air between us, before cracking and wrapping me up tightly.

Endo’s second spell drove the big kenku wild with paranoia. The large foe raised his hands to his head, dropping his heavy club, and began rolling his eyes around him at unknown enemies.

I struggled free of the huge whip, and ducked under its next attack, before flinging myself to one side to evade a further dark beam from the blinded sorcerer. Niccoli stepped across, and cracked the spellcaster across the head with his bastard sword. He groaned once, and fell to the floor dead.

Igmut and Niccoli slaughtered the others in a frenzy of destruction, and we searched the foes for anything they might have which could assist us.

.oOo.

In searching, Igmut called out. “Water go through wall! Go through wall! Water most clever!”

We moved over to see what he was pointing at, and could see that there was a spillage of water on the floor, which had clearly happened under one of the panels.

After a discussion of what to do next, and whether Endo needed to find himself another ‘wife’ from somewhere, Niccoli and Igmut again drew their heavy maces, and began to batter their way through the heavy stone. When it crashed noisily to the floor, we could see a short passageway, at the end of which was a perfectly normal-looking wooden door. Igmut turned the handle, and we moved in.

.oOo.

Beyond was a well-lit passage lined with pale marble. The walls had strange bulges in it, whilst in the centre of the passage were a number of slender columns, each veined with thin strands of dark green. The green lines in the rock seemed to be pulsing and writhing slowly. Endo squinted at the lines, but after a few moments rubbed his head and frowned.

“There is some magical effect in those veins. It attacked my mind in some way.”

Igmut slapped his hand across his eyes immediately.

Remove ads