The Age of Worms - Morrus' Campaign - Finished 6th August!!

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
As we stood staring at the slender columns in the corridor, a thin hand tapped me on the shoulder.

When I had stopped screaming, and my heartbeat had returned to something like normal, I realised that Flynne had returned to us, creeping up stealthily through the maze.

Enthused by our friend’s return, we stepped into the pale corridor, and soon came across a strange room, with purple lined rock on most of the walls. On the wall to our left, the wall was the colour of tar, and strange hands pushed out towards us from the other side, grasping slowly before sinking back under the surface of the wall.

Also in the room was a heavy stone altar, before which stood two robed figures, who rubbed at it enthusiastically, polishing the dark stonework.

.oOo.

Flynne celebrated his return by firing his bow into one of the two hooded figures. The arrow flew towards the head of the figure, but slowed strangely as it closed, and somehow didn’t strike as hard as it should have done.

I started an enthusing chant, backing around the corridor. I could see Endo firing his recently captured crossbow at a figure. He swore, as the same mystical effect caused his bolt to slow in the same way.

From my position around the corner, I could hear an appalling screaming noise, which got louder and louder as it came from the room with the altar. Poking my head around the corner, I was rewarded with the unearthly spectral sight of a ghostly chanting figure, babbling incoherently. Behind it, Flynne’s lips moved in a soundless echo of the allip. The creature itself glided through the air, and attacked Niccoli. The ghost’s clawed hand passed through Niccoli’s armour, and then through the fighter’s torso as well. A strange grin spread across Niccoli’s face for a second, before he looked terrified, confused, and nervous in rapid succession.

Niccoli dashed into the room away from the allip; taking a second blow for his troubles. This second attack turned his skin almost ashen, but he gripped his bastard sword and bellowed a very un-Niccoli-like warcry as he ran at the two hooded figures.

As Igmut moved up to face the life-draining ghost, Endo chanted briefly, before shouting at the ghost to stop attacking. It paused, and frowned at Endo (perhaps because he was using his Hat of Disguise to look like a rogue). A wide slit of a mouth opened in the creature’s head.

“You can’t tell me what to do,” the creature told Endo. But it sounded uncertain.

Eccles

Inside the room, the fight was going slowly for Niccoli, particularly as the two acolytes swiftly drank potions, turning their bodies into strangely floating mists.

From my side, Endo tried again to give the allip instructions. “Go and hunt the kenku in the maze,” he shouted at it. To our amazement, the ghostly figure bowed, and glided through the wall towards the maze.

Without their ghostly backup, the two cloaked figures at the altar were swiftly dealt with by Niccoli and Igmut. We paused to take a breath, and were astonished to find that Niccoli, our stout and sturdy fighting companion, was staring around himself blankly and asking what he should do next. He was even grinning. Worried, we discussed what to do (whilst Niccoli examined the pretty patterns the blood made falling off his sword-blade). We decided that it was likely an obscure effect from the allip’s touches, and he would hopefully return to normal in due course.

.oOo.

We explored a little further, finding a small bedchamber with 4 bunkbeds and a writing desk. Seeing nothing else of interest, we moved on to the next doors which we opened gingerly. 2 more of the acolytes standing around a cauldron in a room clearly equipped as an alchemical laboratory. Books lay on shelves along one wall; the shelving interrupted at one point by a skeleton on a stand, whose organs were still pulsing disconcertingly. The two acolytes stood by a cauldron at the far end of the room. Indicating to stay for a second, Flynne prepared to slip into the room.

Misunderstanding, Niccoli grinned broadly and slammed into the door, slashing his sword in the general direction of the closest acolyte. Igmut joined in by charging at the other; his axe also missing the intended target. Endo drew his wand of enfeeblement and blasted one of the two men with its draining ray and we moved en masse into the room.

At that very instant, the door at the far end of the room swung open, and a lithe figure in green robes wearing a mask could be seen. He gestured at us with his tattooed hands and a tiny glowing object hurtled towards us. It smashed into the wall behind us, and blossomed into a colossal burst of fire. Agony blossomed for me as I was bathed in flame, but I was able to duck some of the blast. Endo did not have that luxury and fell to the ground writhing.

I busied myself casting a restorative spell on Endo from the dwindling charges of the wand. Behind me I could hear the twang of Flynne’s bow and the crashing of Igmut’s axe as the two cultists were slain. I also heard the sound of the wizard’s door slamming shut as he dashed away from the approaching fighters.

Eccles

When we got to the door, the masked spellcaster was long gone. Endo fished his pet raven from the folds of his robe and sent it winging its way down the corridors to see if it could find the wizard. From around the corridor, we could hear a number of sizzling bangs followed by a squark. The bird flapped back, scared and heavily scorched.

.oOo.

We searched the complex on foot, but were unable to find him. Endo and I, who had stayed in the first room to stop the wizard getting around behind us, then suddenly heard another banging noise and ran out to help our comrades.

We dashed in to see the wizard threatening the fighters whilst surrounded by a large number of glowing spell-effects. Endo and I both rapidly cast spells, but both were ineffective. Niccoli and Igmut dashed towards the wizard; both showing signs of further recent scorching from another fireball, and I drew my rapier to join them, trying to corner the wizard against the wall.

Somehow, however, the wizard managed to twist and turn between our blades, and positively hurtled up the corridor at mystically enhanced speeds. He raised his fingers
and chanted once again, and I could see yet another fireball hurtling towards me. With another wave of fire, I lost all consciousness.

Eccles

I awoke somehow pinned to the floor in a blanket of thick white webbing. Flynne was standing near me clutching a now empty potion bottle.

The webs obscured any sign of what might be going on, but I could hear the sounds of combat and the wizard’s screams from deep within them. Abruptly, the screaming stopped.

.oOo.

It took a few minutes for the webs to fade away, and Flynne and I joined in the frenzy of looting. Items were taken from the acolytes, the altar, and also from the masked wizard. Under the mask, his skin was white and almost faceless; tiny eyes, a sharp nose and a small toothless mouth. We had defeated the faceless one.

Amongst the items, we found a gorgeous cloak, which I immediately claimed as my own, and also a scroll of tightly written text:

“The Age of Worms

The secrets of this page are most holy. Know ye heretics who invade them that the eye of Vecna is upon you. If you read this, Theldrick, you have either slain me and doomed our race, or the time is night for our final victory.

At last the riddle of this place is solved. In ages past, a great being known as Kyuss rose above the petty warlords who fought and struggled for material gain. Mighty Kyuss is the herald of the Overgod. Soon, he will sound the clarion call to the faithful. The three sundered faiths shall be made whole.

The undead our agents spotted must be located and captured. If they bear the worms of Kyuss then they perhaps hold the final answer to our research. The Ebon Aspect stirs within the pool, bit it is still not ready to emerge. Perhaps a traumatic event – an invasion by heretics, a great battle fought within these halls – could awaken it. But even then it will attain only a minor form. The Way of the Ebon Triad speaks of the danger of awakening the aspect too soon. Our work will be for naught.

We must find the worms and the undead hosts that carry them. If they are not here, then we must send agents to the Rift. If Kyuss himself, or his agents, cannot shepherd in the Age of Worms, then we shall do it ourselves so that the Overgod may live.

Our course is clear, my dear Theldrick. Smenk is no longer useful to us and must die. Kill him, then send agents to the Mistmarsh, across the southern hills. I believe that we will find what we are looking for there, among the lizardfolk. Summon more of your warriors. If the calculations and portents are correct, the time for covert action is at an end. As the Age of Worms begins, we must strike hard and fast to prepare the coming of the Overgod.

Of course, dear Theldrick, if you were so rash as to slay my followers and I, then you, soon, shall join me in the afterlife. Doubtless your treachery has already stirred the Overgod. Our mission has failed, and you will die at our hands.”

Eccles

We had a discussion, tinged with the fear of what might have come out of the dark pool behind us. Some ‘Overgod’ creature might have climbed from the dank waters and stood between ourselves and the surface. But what might have happened if it was intelligent enough to work the lifts? Could it reach the surface and engage in slaughter? Could it already be above us, killing our families and friends?

Exhausted and largely spent, we tightened the cinches on our armour and marched back out through the maze, unable to take time to rest.

.oOo.

From our side of the door to Vecna’s temple, we could hear growling and heavy pacing. Endo cast a simple spell to help protect Niccoli’s weakened psyche from invasion, then we opened the door and dashed out en masse.

Standing next to the ruined form of the elevator stood a towering primevil creature from nightmare. Its dark skin heaved in agonised breaths, chest straining under rotting flesh. The creature’s barrel chest bore six arms, three on either side, with three of the hands and one eye missing from its form. Shaggy patches of hair fought with piebald decaying skin. The creature turned to face us, roaring in anger.

Igmut dashed towards the thing and swung his axe, missing. Flynne’s bow sang, the arrow barely scratching the beast. I began another chant of encouragement for the others, but my voice was briefly drowned out by the Overgod roaring ‘Hextor!’ A huge flail materialised in the air near Niccoli, whilst the beast itself clawed out and bit at Igmut. Thankfully, it missed him with most of the attacks, leaving only a single claw mark on the half orc.

Niccoli dashed in to assist Igmut, but he missed in his turn.

Taking one of the beads from the necklace recently captured from the kenku, I threw a ball of fire into the air to strike at the creature’s head. The blast was huge, but the Overgod bellowed in pleasure. Somehow, the fiery attack was healing its wounds. Endo and I stared at one another in horror.

In the centre of the room, the Overgod entered a state of fury. It bit and clawed at Niccoli, muscles bulging in rage as it attacked, all thought of defence forgotten. Wounds blossomed over Niccoli’s body as he went from nearly entirely healthy to critically injured.

Endo chanted and cast a spell to try to drain the strength out of the creature, but his spell energy was absorbed into the creature. The wounds we had already dealt to it closed still further. Endo began to chant another spell, and a few seconds later a truly horrifically sized centipede materialised on one side of the Overgod, serving more as a distraction than a threat.

Igmut’s axe blow had some effect on the Overgod, although not as much as we might have expected from the huge swing. Flynne threw alchemist’s fire at the creature, but the Overgod ignored the blaze and carried on swinging.

The Overgod mauled Igmut with its claws, but Niccoli caused it to roar in pain in a colossal overhead blow. Flynne dashed up behind Igmut and snatched the holy water from his belt, and began to throw flask after flask into the Overgod – each causing it to scream in agony.

I resorted to my crossbow, but the bolts went wide – concern that I might hit my friends making me aim high. The Overgod swung out at Igmut and Niccoli, and the injuries proved too much for Niccoli, who collapsed onto the floor.

Eccles

Endo’s next spell somehow managed to penetrate the creature’s defenses. It wailed as its strength was sapped away. When the creature next slapped Igmut with one of its claws, we were relieved to see that it barely raised a scratch on his heavily-scarred flesh.

Igmut slashed with his axe as Flynne continued to throw holy water. I dashed up to Niccoli, and cast my last spell into him. I was relieved to see my friend’s hands open and he gripped his sword tightly. He stood up, ducking under a swinging claw, and slashed his bastard sword deeply into its side.

The spiritual flail of Hextor (which had just managed to smash apart Endo’s massive summoned centipede) floated up and swung once, and Niccoli grunted in pain and surprise, before collapsing back onto the floor.

As Endo (whose spells were also exhausted) stepped up to hand Igmut a potion, Flynne snatched a greataxe from the floor, and swung at the Overgod’s back, missing. Igmut swung his own axe heavily into the monster. I used the wand to restore Niccoli to consciousness, but could feel that the wand was now exhausted.

.oOo.

The Overgod, now bleeding heavily, entered another screaming rage, and slashed furiously at Igmut, who slumped to the floor. Niccoli stood once again, but had barely reached his feet when the monster slashed out reflexively, tearing his throat out. Niccoli collapsed, clearly beyond any healing.

Flynne, Endo and I backed up. The beast was heavily wounded, but could clearly kill any one of us in a single series of attacks. We each drew a bead on the creature, and two crossbows and Flynne’s bow sang. One shot glanced across its shoulder; one shattered against the wall, but my bolt sank to its feathers in the creature’s empty eye socket. Its roaring stopped. The Overgod sank to its knees before us, then collapsed on the floor.

kroh

First Post
Wow! Great description and fantastically played (although from the sound of things, a few of you either need to get some henchmen as cannon fodder or get better dice!).

Awsome story hour...can't wait for the next session.

Regards,
Walt

Eccles

Better dice is certainly an option. I think that's only about the third time I've shot something in 10 weeks of gameplay. Mind you, I did just kill an 'Overgod'...

Unfortunately, Niccoli did suffer the brunt of that one, and he won't be coming back. Igmut's still alive and twitching, though. Party front line might suffer for that loss, though.

Remove ads