The Age of Worms - Morrus' Campaign - Finished 6th August!!

Cerulean_Wings

First Post
Sweet Pelor, you mean it's the last update? *squeal of excitement*

That battle with Lashonna was truly epic. Life-saving magic effects being triggered at the last second, artifacts being used left and right, and one bad-ass vampire dragon hitting the floor. Well done, Eccles! :D

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Cerulean_Wings said:
Sweet Pelor, you mean it's the last update? *squeal of excitement*

Yep - it'll be the very final installment of a two-year campaign! Just in time to start a 4E campaign, too!

Sadly, the very fnal week (last week) only had three players present. So wait for the epic tale of how Evan, Flynne and Janga decided to take on a god by themselves...

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Morrus said:
Yep - it'll be the very final installment of a two-year campaign! Just in time to start a 4E campaign, too!

Sadly, the very fnal week (last week) only had three players present. So wait for the epic tale of how Evan, Flynne and Janga decided to take on a god by themselves...

I will look forward to it!

I'm sure they have at least a couple more artifacts going spare to use against the god, surely?

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
I'll get there. Urrr... I'll blame 4e and my wife's new Wii this week, I think.

Story Recharge :5:

<rolls a 4>

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
One thing I find amusing: We started our AoW campaign a year earlier, but because of slowness, were going to finish long after this group... but then we skipped a bunch of the modules and will be finishing this week.

Dawn of a New Age is sure brutal, though...

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
Janga paused for a few minutes after healing the rest of us and preparing for what was to come next. I could see his lips moved as he communed with Fahrlanghan. A few minutes later, as his eyes snapped open, he looked at Flynne and I despondently.

“Not good?”
“Not at all. I think there’s a vengeful deity waiting for us just up these stairs, and he’s rather looking forward to talking to us, it seems.”
“Is there anything we should do,” asked Flynne.
“Not really,” replied the gnome. “He’s a deity. He’ll be immune to almost everything we can throw at him, except perhaps fire and sound blasts. Anything he wants to do he can pretty much will into being. It’s a whole world of bad news, I’m afraid.”

There was a pattering of tiny feet nearby.

“Oh,” added Janga. “And Bob’s got all worried and run off. So there’s only the three of us.”

.oOo.

The air split asunder as a strange rift opened up. Amidst the sound of heavy footsteps, there rode forth a mounted figure – a heavy set half orc figure riding a towering rhinoceros. The rider raised his ugly visor, and saluted.

“Thogg, paladin of Hieronious, here to help, master bard.”

I shrugged. These things kept seeming to happen to me.

.oOo.

Reading a massively powerful scroll given to me by the archmage Manzorian, we were instantly refreshed and prepared as though rested for a full night. Further fortified with spells and songs and accompanied by a towering summoned earth elemental, we climbed the stairs to the floor above, where we reached a 60 foot wide platform. We split up, forming around the black writhing form of an obelisk in the centre of the platform. The obelisk looked to be made of black stone under whose surface writhed thousands of dark green worms, giving us all a strange feeling of déjà vu and foreboding.

The clouds turned green, and a long sinuous tentacle of clouds reached down from the heavens towards the spire on which we stood. With a ripple of tremendous energy, two torrents of Kyuss worms spewed forth from the side of the obelisk, rapidly forming into the shape of two titanic fists, one of which clutched a blade-edged executioner’s mace.

Instinctively, Flynne started to fire his bow – and every shot simply struck some powerful wardings on the large figure.

I snatched up a square of material from my bag, and flung it to the floor where it unfolded to reveal a deep pit. Snatching the talisman of control from its wrist sheathe, I urged the Sphere of Annihilation out of the Portable Hole, and flung it at the still-emerging face of the evil god.

Amidst a tremendous noise of vacuum and screaming, Kyuss seemed somehow to withdraw on himself and then explode outwards in an anguished burst of energy. Abuptly, the Sphere winked out, and Kyuss was reformed, though somehow lessened in the massive onslaught – and his titanically powerful magical cowl had been destroyed. I then wove a wall of fire over the angry god, but was worried to see that he was almost entirely unconcerned by the inferno he was standing in.

Janga wove two spells, one of counter-magic which seemed to have no effect, and then followed this with a burst of sunlight, which was simply sucked into Kyuss’ black soul.

Both the summoned elemental’s stony fists and Thogg’s enchanted lance-point missed their targets, before Flynne managed to land a couple of serious shots, leaving arrows sticking into the deity’s form like pins in a normal man.

Worried, I used my dwindling reserves of powerful scrolls to bring time to a halt, and then wished for a Staff of Power, which was torn from the aether and filled with magic torn from my very soul.

Summoning a lesser angel, I passed it the Staff and instructed it to break the item as soon as time was restored. I then layered more and more walls of fire over Kyuss, ready for time to flow once more.

The instant the flames began to move, Kyuss roared in pain as flames licked over his body, and then there was a massive explosion which rocked the tower. There was a powerful wash of magic as the Staff was broken, and yet more of Kyuss was shattered.

I screamed a last spell swiftly, calling on the power of a Rod of Quickening to allow me to scream; but the magic washed over Kyuss even as Janga cast spells of his own. A pillar of holy fire washed down from the heavens, simply parting over Kyuss to no ill effect, and then Janga dashed across the tower.

Spinning into action, Kyuss flung a tiny green worm towards me, which stuck instantly onto my neck like a leech, and began to bite sharply at my throat. Kyuss then turned towards the paladin and gestured – a rush of worms burst forth and slammed into Thogg’s chest. The half orc bellowed in pain, and then kept on shouting as black wormy flames erupted from the ground under him.

Gritting his tusks, the orc levelled his lance and charged in – the lance missed its target, and the orc received a vicious blow from the executioner’s mace for his troubles.

Only one of Flynne’s arrows struck home, whilst the others glanced off the many enchantments warding Kyuss. Meanwhile, Janga prayed deeply and I could hear his words “let me penetrate the wards and affect this creature with your magics, oh mighty Fahrlanghan!”

Cerulean_Wings

First Post
Aw-shome! Nicely done, Eccles, you keep delivering solid epicness 'till the very end :D

Now my take on epic battles such as this one:

The good: Stopping time, wishing for a powerful magic item, summoning a servant of the Heavens, conjuring pillars of flame upon a God, then having said servant of the Heavens sunder said powerful magic item. I likey.

The bad: Big Bad Worm God is immune. As in, immune to anything (or most stuff). Reminds me of Final Fantasy bosses (not even final ones!) that were immune to most things. Not much strategy and options if you can't throw much at 'em bad boys.

By the way, is it me or Janga's final prayer is a miracle?

Remove ads