D&D General The Alexandrian’s Insights In a Nutshell [+]

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Okay, let’s try an explain another way. I run story-driven adventures. Not sandboxes, not Story Now. And most of my prep involves describing situations, not writing out plot. Because that is what works. And I generally have multiple hints, because players miss stuff. So I have 43 years of experience of not finding any incompatibility between prepping situations and the “three clue rule”, or the multiple hint recommendation, as I would prefer to call it.
One time I prepped a scenario that was a whole bunch of different situations. I hadn’t (or didn’t think I had) prescribed any particular path through the scenario. There were various groups trying to do things, and if the PCs wanted to leave, there was an exit from the area they could take. (It was underground in the Darklands, so they needed passage up to the surface.) One of the players commented towards the end how he felt like they were being railroaded. At the time, I took it as a compliment — I was doing such a good job of preparing situations that it looked like a plot to the players even though I hadn’t prepped it that way. Now, in retrospect? I don’t know. 😕

Like I said in post #79, I kind of stepped in it with my initial replies. At this point, it seems like the discussion is just parsing semantics over what constitutes “plot”. If the GM has certain events they want to have happen, and the only thing the GM does to effect them is construct the scenario a certain way, is that still plotting? Some (including me) would say it is. Others, which I assume includes you and @mamba, would say not. Is it possible we could eventually arrive at some common ground (even if it requires finding some other word for what I mean)? Maybe, or probably not, and I doubt this thread is the right place to try to find out.

I will say I’ve found Justin’s advice on the three clue rule and node-based design helpful, and I’ve discussed here where I’ve used it to good effect (e.g., the scenario described in post #135). The fact that it allowed me to ensure certain events happened is why I found it useful. It would have been bad if the one shot went off the rails and fizzled. (And because we started running short on time, I was able to drop out nodes on the fly and retarget clues to where the PCs needed to go.)

Its about the intersection of prep/pre-authorship with a very specific technique; The Three Clue Rule. And whether that intersection yields a contradiction with "Don't Prep Plots" (my answer is "yes, it does").

A village + a mayor + a problem with monster/bandit attacks? That could be situation or plot depending upon implementation (system/techniques deployed). If you use The Three Clue Rule (or similar techniques like it such as strategic exposition dumps to download plot/lore and McGuffin Chains, get the thing to do the thing to talk to the thing to do the thing to get the thing to..., that funnel the trajectory of play through plot points/items) with your village + mayor + monster/bandit attacks to ensure that play is "bottleneck-proofed" and "funneled to pre-authored content?" Then yes, you're prepping plot (not situation).
It does strike me that the issue is not so much with the three clue rule as much as it is how you design the nodes. If the nodes all funnel to the same 'ending' then I would agree that they are in contradiction with don't prep plots. However, if the nodes just lead to other nodes in an open-ended way via clues, then the two techniques are not in contradiction.

For example, say you have a sandbox with 5 "fronts." Let's say each is centered in one location (though this wouldn't have to be the case). You could have clues/information at each location that might express the relationships between the fronts and lead the PCs to another location/situation. Combine this with a timer--the fronts act on their own accord even if the PCs don't interact with them--and you have a dynamic situation using both the three clue rule and don't prep plots.

Like I said in post #79, I kind of stepped in it with my initial replies. At this point, it seems like the discussion is just parsing semantics over what constitutes “plot”. If the GM has certain events they want to have happen, and the only thing the GM does to effect them is construct the scenario a certain way, is that still plotting? Some (including me) would say it is. Others, which I assume includes you and @mamba, would say not. Is it possible we could eventually arrive at some common ground (even if it requires finding some other word for what I mean)? Maybe, or probably not, and I doubt this thread is the right place to try to find out.
In this case would do you make of something like the 7-3-1 technique of prep? Does the fact of prepping anything, even as a sketch and a way to think through your setting, constitute "wanting" something to happen?

kenada

Legend
Supporter
In this case would do you make of something like the 7-3-1 technique of prep? Does the fact of prepping anything, even as a sketch and a way to think through your setting, constitute "wanting" something to happen?
It seems fine. My homebrew system has a detailed setting¹. I also have my own template for NPCs that evolved out of Justin’s Universal NPC Roleplaying Template. This is Eric, as mentioned in commentary post #294.

Eric the Dangerous [male yuma] — ambitious, deceitful, manipulative​
Tall (1.8m) and handsome (conventionally so). Blond hair (long, pulled back) and gray eyes. Buff coat (clean) and black boots (also clean). Dagger (tucked into boot).​
  • Impulse: to get what he wants without working for it
  • Adventurer who joined up with the raiders. Still leads his crew. Wants to keep more of the loot and would risk open conflict with Finland. Sona [female mao — dim, gregarious] and Urf [male yuma — bold, disobedient] are vying for his affection. Eric indulges both, but he is using them to further his goals.
  • He’s the one who encouraged the other group to cause trouble for the PCs.
The issue with “plot” would be how Eric is used. If Deirdre hadn’t gone looking for raiders in town, I wouldn’t have introduced him in a situation. Even though he’s a potential source of conflict, it’s not within my purview to make that happen by preparing a scenario with clues that will lead the PCs to get involved somehow. It’s only when the system tells me that I need to provide something that I can look at my prep for inspiration.

The closest I get to making something I want happen is when I adopt the role of a particular character or faction. For simple conflicts (against PCs), I have to make a skill check just like the players. For complex ones, those go as global events. Should Eric want to conspire against the raiders, I’d create a tracker, and it would get advanced along with the other global events.

Trackers are public knowledge (because all such things have to be somehow knowable to the PCs). If the tracker fills up, then the event happens. If it doesn’t (e.g., because the PCs did something to break the tracker), then it doesn’t. If Eric is really unlucky, I’ll forever roll like crap on the event check to advance the tracker, and he’ll never get what he wants.

Stuff the PCs can’t observe should be decided by the GM because it doesn’t matter. It’s setting details. I’d be concerned that requiring the GM run all that stuff in the background would be exhausting and burn them out. That’s certainly what would happen to me. Of course, if that’s your thing, then knock yourself out.

Edit: For example, next session we will be playing out the meeting with Sona posing as Maria. Her job will be to convince the PCs the raiders need their help dealing with a usurper. I’ll need to prep a full block for Sona, but that’s going to be the extent of my prep. The dice are going to have a lot to say during this negotiation.

[1]: Admittedly, it’s a big mind map that needs reconciled and edited into proper setting documentation. It’s been adequate for play so far.

Last edited:

hawkeyefan

Legend
Both don’t-prep-plots, the three clue rule, and node based design all seem to have the same goal to my mind… to avoid brick walls that leave the players stumped or force the players down a single course of action.

I don’t know. I think that even having multiple paths that eventually lead to the same destination is at least partially having a plot.

But I don’t think having a plot is necessarily a bad thing. I think the vast majority of RPGing functions that way.

I think plot and “railroad” often get conflated, and then people wind up claiming not to use plot while simultaneously providing examples that display plot.

There are perfectly fine and acceptable ways to use plot. And some advice will work for that. The three clue rule and node based design are examples.

I think folks saying they are contradictory are reading too much into it. DMs are allowed to plan situations in advance. You can expect the players to engage with with the broader adventure. To try and find the 500,000 gold dragons for instance.

Just don’t make it conditional on players identifying the single clue that leads them to to do X Y Z in the manner and order you expect.

Engaging with the broader adventure is largely engaging with the plot. It’s okay, though.

Look at the most dominant form of play in the hobby… the adventure path. This is undoubtedly plot based play. I don’t think that makes it a railroad where there is only one way to move along the path, so to speak. There are branches and forks and so on that may allow for quite different series of events from one instance of play to another.

But still, the overall thrust of the game will likely be similar. One group of players may spend all their resources and efforts recovering the Sunsword, while another group focuses on the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind and rallying Strahd’s enemies against him. That’s great! Doesn’t change that the plot of the game is to destroy Strahd, freeing the land of his tyranny and then escaping Barovia.

If I’m going to run such a game, the last thing I want as advice is “don’t prep plot”.

This may be a product of poor word choice. It would probably be more accurate to say something like, “if you give players information about something fewer than three times, they probably won’t remember it.”

Perhaps. I think a lot of JA’s advice is repurposed from that of others, but always filtered through his more trad-minded approach. I think the result can at times bit a bit of a mixed message.

I also think your phrasing is more generally applicable, while the three clue rule as described is intentionally more specific. It is about keeping things moving based on expectation. It’s about including enough information so that the way forward does not remain invisible for too long.

No it doesn't. Players are perfectly capable of missing all three clues. I would suggest three is the absolute minimum if you don't want the players to miss something. And players are still free to ignore the interesting adventure and go and do something else instead if they so wish. It just means they won't be stuck doing boring stuff because they failed a skill check.

The point of the three clue rule is so that they do not miss the next step. Saying they can miss all three clues misses the point of the advice.

And what does “stuck doing boring stuff” mean?

It's no different to "the village is plagued by monsters" in your worldbuilding. You are just making the players do a little bit of work to find out where the monsters are rather than handing it to them on a plate.

Why bother with that, though? If you want them to deal with the monsters, why not just give them the information? Why tease it out and make them “work” for it?

I've only read a few of JA's blog posts, and I don't intend to go back, but did he at any point say, "for this style of play, don't prep plots, but for that style of play, use the three-clue rule", or was all his advice (or the particuar bits being critiqued here) free of any context regard play style?

Not that I know of, but I’m not familiar with his entire blog, so it’s certainly possible. I think he’d likely be better served by doing so… but I don’t think that he approaches play in any other way than a pretty traditional way.

Again, I don’t think the advice he puts forth… or repurposes, in many cases… is bad advice. I just don’t think it presents as coherent a whole as many do when taken in its entirety.

Okay, let’s try an explain another way. I run story-driven adventures. Not sandboxes, not Story Now. And most of my prep involves describing situations, not writing out plot. Because that is what works. And I generally have multiple hints, because players miss stuff. So I have 43 years of experience of not finding any incompatibility between prepping situations and the “three clue rule”, or the multiple hint recommendation, as I would prefer to call it.

Got any examples you can share?

That's the point of nonsensical in-group jargon.

Ha as if there’s not a plethora of jargon from trad gaming.

Given that JA’s articles largely revolve around examining such jargon, and often establishing new bits… it seems odd to criticize use of jargon in this context.

Jahydin

Hero
His book is really, really, really good. It is the best dmg for someome who didnt grow up with older editions.
Agree!

I wanted to talk about it here soooo bad after reading it, but I knew it was just going to be pages and pages of discussion of him as a person and not his actual insights. I've already started enough of those threads...

Last edited:

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I wanted to talk about it here soooo bad after reading it, but I knew it was just going to be pages and pages of discussion of him as a person and not his actual insights. I've already started enough of those threads...
Talking about Justin as a person is off topic for this thread, so if there’s something good from his book, I see no reason not to share it (especially if it builds or expands upon what he’s posted on his site).

mamba

Legend
What I’m considering a “plot” is when the GM has events they want to happen and uses techniques to make sure they happen
ok, I guess the difference is that you assume I want them to happen, ‘just’ because I provide clues, and maybe even ‘force’ them for the plot to move forward as ‘intended’.

Agreed, if the goal is for some specific things to happen, that is a plot. Me just throwing stuff out there, seeing what ‘sticks’ and running with that is not however, at least not in my book.

You seem to believe I am more invested in these ‘little plots’ (orcs raid town, maybe take hostages if they can that someone proposed , the villains boarding a ship and what happens to them if the players do not interfere from JA) than I actually am. They are the start of some arc, sure, but it can also play out differently based on what the chars do. It is just a starting point and a general idea of what the villains are up to, whether they succeed or how the chars prevent that is another matter / open

kenada

Legend
Supporter
ok, I guess the difference is that you assume I want them to happen, ‘just’ because I provide clues, and maybe even ‘force’ them for the plot to move forward as ‘intended’.
This conversation got started in post #21 when you said that, “Any adventure has clues that point towards other situations, even an open sandbox does that.” I responded with a contrasting example assuming you were talking about Justin’s techniques (three clue rule, node-based design, etc). If that’s not what you meant, then I misunderstood.

Agreed, if the goal is for some specific things to happen, that is a plot. Me just throwing stuff out there, seeing what ‘sticks’ and running with that is not however, at least not in my book.
I agree, and that matches my take.

You seem to believe I am more invested in these ‘little plots’ (orcs raid town, maybe take hostages if they can that someone proposed , the villains boarding a ship and what happens to them if the players do not interfere from JA) than I actually am. They are the start of some arc, sure, but it can also play out differently based on what the chars do. It is just a starting point and a general idea of what the villains are up to, whether they succeed or how the chars prevent that is another matter / open
It’s more that I’m fine with calling things plots if they are conceived as a sequence of events that had to happen. Take the scenario I described in post #135. That’s a plot. The events that needed to happen were:
  1. The PCs are recruited by Irovetti.
  2. The PCs learn the tigers were taken outside the city.
  3. The PCs learn (from outside the city) that the tigers were taken to a cavern.
  4. The PCs go to the cavern to find the boss.
  5. The PCs kill the boss and recover the tigers.
The looks a lot like a plot doesn’t it? I implemented it entirely with three clue rule and node-based design. The players could decide how they went about navigating nodes until they reached the key points, but all of those key points had to happen for there to be a successful adventure.

Anymore, that’s not something I normally do. My homebrew system is designed to support what I want without having to do tons of prep. I think what you describe doing at the end of your post doesn’t sound like a plot. It’s the part where one needs certain events to happen that it turns into one (or starts at least, depending on those events).

Remove ads