• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Angry GM on D&D Encounters

aramis erak

Legend
My regulars chipped in (well, one has, so far) to buy the big module. And we play much as a regular group, except that, if something happens, they can play their characters elsewhere. And in so doing, we're bypassing the XP cap. In chapter 1 of Abyss, a lucky shot happened.... and everyone got 2000 XP.They Killed Ilvara, Shoor, and Jora in one session... And they haven't quite moved on to Chapter 2... they want their stuff back.

We play 3 hours on wednesdays... it's short, but it works.

Steve_MND

First Post
In chapter 1 of Abyss, a lucky shot happened.... and everyone got 2000 XP.They Killed Ilvara, Shoor, and Jora in one session...

I cannot easily conceive of a way how that could have happened with the way the setup begins (and I probably don't want to know), but hey, more power to them, then.

aramis erak

Legend
I cannot easily conceive of a way how that could have happened with the way the setup begins (and I probably don't want to know), but hey, more power to them, then.

She evaded their range via a spell - with concentration. Drow Rogue PC (3rd level) did enough damage to cause her to fail the concentration, and fall for 7d6... which KO'd her... right in front of an escapee cleric, and next to the monk. So a sacred flame followed by a punch render the KO a kill.

Shoor bought it in the first escape (the one the drow PC escaped during)... The other named elite bought it shortly after Ivara died....

Steve_MND

First Post
Drow Rogue PC (3rd level) did enough damage to cause her to fail the concentration,

Ah, okay, I thought you meant while playing it as part of the Wednesday Encounters bit, with the inbuilt level caps, etc. I just now noticed you mentioned earlier that it was being run as a home game version. Fair enough.

Inconnunom

Explorer
My own two cents. The interaction between AL coordinators and the players/DMs could be a lot better. I've seen lots of facebook questions/posts just deleted instead of being properly answered and archived. What they were I couldn't tell you, I just recall saying to myself, "Oh thats a good point, I'll need to check this out later", only to find it removed. It often feels like DMs and players should just not say anything and do whatever they want and write the paperwork in later because AL is just going to yell at them and say they did it wrong anyways.

Things that are pruned from FB threads are usually because of one of three reasons: 1) Use of foul/abusive language, 2) The questions was answer earlier in the thread, or the question is posted in the wrong thread (in which case it is usually posted in the correct thread). Often (though not always) posters who are pruned are sent a PM telling them why.

Inconnunom

Explorer
Things that are pruned from FB threads are usually because of one of three reasons: 1) Use of foul/abusive language, 2) The questions was answer earlier in the thread, or the question is posted in the wrong thread (in which case it is usually posted in the correct thread). Often (though not always) posters who are pruned are sent a PM telling them why.

1.) foul/abusive language totally reasonable to cut. 2. I've seen entire posts disappear that seemed reasonable, not just the stuff that does off on tangents.

I'm just pointing out how it looks from the outside. I totally get that it's volunteer, but sometimes the tone comes across uninviting or even combative. Not everyone mind you, but often enough that it's noticeable.

Steve_MND

First Post
1.)I'm just pointing out how it looks from the outside. I totally get that it's volunteer, but sometimes the tone comes across uninviting or even combative. Not everyone mind you, but often enough that it's noticeable.

Which is just hammers the point home to me that getting rid of stuff like the official Forums and moving stuff to a more 'social network' approach is/was a bad idea. Social media is great for talking to people, but not so much with people -- they tend to be notoriously poor at more in-depth discussions or conversations. You still need forum/message board types of platforms for that to truly flourish.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Which is why you are posting here and this IS a Social Media Forum. Im guessing you are more upset with the Official Forums going but lets be honest, we can have the exact same conversations here and have been for a long time.

And you are right. Id actually indicate Facebook as a very poor example of Historical social media. You see the original post and some replies but not all (ie the show more comments ability). People start to respond to the previous couple of comments and NOT the original post which they may never actually read and its why so many topics get derailed. Hell Look at what we are talking about now. Social Media when the original post was on the Angry GM rant.

Forums are really no different though. Probably easier to search than facebook but after 2-3 pages of replies rarely to the repliers actually reply to the original post but to the posts following.

Remove ads