• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Angry GM on D&D Encounters

DMCF

First Post
... When I say that the big thing I want to see change is how communication happens rather than the specific rules, and the answer I get is that the rules can't be changed except in specific windows, my faith that communication can or will be improved takes a marked downturn.

I think you just ran into the WotC automatic response bot is all. That or they're outsourcing to Mumbai. You have to admit though...that's a pretty impressive spell check it has.

Ainulindalion

First Post
... When I say that the big thing I want to see change is how communication happens rather than the specific rules, and the answer I get is that the rules can't be changed except in specific windows, my faith that communication can or will be improved takes a marked downturn.

This. All day long, this. Either they've got a Party Line and anything off of it violates some sort of agreement with WotC, or they are just as lost and confused as everyone else.

I have tried repeatedly to get data on how the system 'works' from the Admins in a decision making capability, or in general the organizational structure to identify the points of failure to contribute my skills, and they either have no idea what I am asking for, or aren't allowed to share.

If the former, that's a problem that WotC needs to solve. If the later, that's a problem that can't be solved, and we all simply need to jump ship. Which would suck, because I kinda like the ship.

But the ship is leaky and lacks a single command bridge, has no intercomm or radio, and isn't actually sure where it is supposed to be going. And the passengers are either evacuating, panicking, or wishing there was a way to storm the bridge.

I have tried repeatedly to get data on how the system 'works' from the Admins in a decision making capability, or in general the organizational structure to identify the points of failure to contribute my skills, and they either have no idea what I am asking for, or aren't allowed to share.

What are your specific questions Ainulindalion?

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.

Well, let's be realistic -- a change to the role and responsibilities of a Local or Regional Coordinator would fall under the rubric of a 'campaign rule', so it would make sense that those roles would only change at the season-breaks, as well as being considerate of the volunteers' time that you'd give them ample warning that changes are coming down the pipe so that, if it turns out the changes are more than they can deal with, they have the chance to withdraw from their roles. A "change in how communication happens" likely involves a clarification on who should be responsible for communicating what information when, and that may very well mean a change in roles or responsibilities.

If I were to make one specific recommendation it'd be to have some sort of published record detailing what an Adventurers League player, DM, or store organizer can expect from Local Coordinators, Regional Coordinators, and WotC staff -- for example, "a store organizer can expect that a Local Coordinator will visit the store roughly once or twice a year depending on the size of the local region, and will be able to explain how to connect to additional resources to incorporate D&D Expeditions into your store activities, give you contact information for local conventions in your area, and provide rules resources for the current Adventurers League storyline season".

These expectations don't have to be exhaustive -- like the game rules themselves, they can't possibly cover every possible situation -- but they should cover the baseline expectations that a player, DM, or store organizer might have with respect to the AL campaign staff (where 'staff' includes both the volunteer staff and the WotC team).

--
Pauper

Tia Nadiezja

First Post
Well, let's be realistic -- a change to the role and responsibilities of a Local or Regional Coordinator would fall under the rubric of a 'campaign rule', so it would make sense that those roles would only change at the season-breaks, as well as being considerate of the volunteers' time that you'd give them ample warning that changes are coming down the pipe so that, if it turns out the changes are more than they can deal with, they have the chance to withdraw from their roles. A "change in how communication happens" likely involves a clarification on who should be responsible for communicating what information when, and that may very well mean a change in roles or responsibilities.

If I were to make one specific recommendation it'd be to have some sort of published record detailing what an Adventurers League player, DM, or store organizer can expect from Local Coordinators, Regional Coordinators, and WotC staff -- for example, "a store organizer can expect that a Local Coordinator will visit the store roughly once or twice a year depending on the size of the local region, and will be able to explain how to connect to additional resources to incorporate D&D Expeditions into your store activities, give you contact information for local conventions in your area, and provide rules resources for the current Adventurers League storyline season".

These expectations don't have to be exhaustive -- like the game rules themselves, they can't possibly cover every possible situation -- but they should cover the baseline expectations that a player, DM, or store organizer might have with respect to the AL campaign staff (where 'staff' includes both the volunteer staff and the WotC team).

--
Pauper

What I think is needed most:

A redesign of the Adventurer's League site so that it is actually the place - the single, focused place - one goes to learn about Adventurer's League. It needs a full set of the rules and guidelines. It needs, if not forums, at least a feedback form. It needs a comprehensive FAQ that is updated regularly when a question gets asked repeatedly in any forum, including the feedback form, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, and here. It needs to be easily navigated and searchable, so that people with questions can easily find the answers they need.

The FAQ needs sections on both organization (who is responsible for what, who can do what, how one goes about doing things) and gameplay (including common rules mistakes). It needs at least some form of contact information for the RCs and LCs, at that too needs to be easily accessed.

Until that's done, there's no point even starting to look at rules changes, because until that's done rules changes have no effective way of disseminating to the store owners, players, and GMs.

Yes, I'm aware of the seasonal players' and GMs' guides. Those are woefully insufficient.

A new website design need not wait for a new season to start.

Remove ads