D&D General The argentvorax and other variant monsters; what are your favorites?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
So a little while ago I came across this old EN World thread...

And it got me thinking about variant monsters. While the "argentvorax" doesn't seem to have ever appeared anywhere that I can find (it was name-dropped in some old Living Greyhawk adventures, but was never given stats), there are a lot of twists on familiar monsters throughout the history of D&D. Things like scrags and merrow (marine trolls and ogres, respectively), the pyrolisk (a cockatrice that sets you on fire instead of turning you to stone), or the infamous neo-otyugh; what variations of classic monsters do you get a kick out of?

Stormonu

Legend
Thessal monsters.

Hippogriff variant of griffins.

Hate: Ghasts - ghouls created specifically to deal with elf players. Though thouls (hobgoblin/ghoul mixes) are cool and a result of a typo, as I recall.

BTW, Argentvorax is one of those "why didn't I think of that!?!" variants - instead of Aurumvorax ("golden gorger"), this one would be silver-colored, and what variant abilities might it have (8 legs, instead of 6?)

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Though thouls (hobgoblin/ghoul mixes) are cool and a result of a typo, as I recall.
Thouls are the best! A mix of troll/hobgoblin/ghoul that comes from a typo is just great.

I also like the nosferatu from BECMI (via the Gazeteers) - a vampire that drank blood instead of level draining (and so really couldn't use its bite as an attack - IIRC the bite attack was really weak). I liked that it felt more like a traditional vampire than the ones in the rulebooks.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
BTW, Argentvorax is one of those "why didn't I think of that!?!" variants - instead of Aurumvorax ("golden gorger"), this one would be silver-colored, and what variant abilities might it have (8 legs, instead of 6?)
I agree, which in hindsight makes it seem odd that D&D has never had any sort of variant aurumvorax that I can find. If we can turn every metal imaginable into some kind of dragon, you think this little guy would get an alternative take somewhere.

Stormonu

Legend
I agree, which in hindsight makes it seem odd that D&D has never had any sort of variant aurumvorax that I can find. If we can turn every metal imaginable into some kind of dragon, you think this little guy would get an alternative take somewhere.
So, on that note, what would make good variants of the aurumvorax? My feeble guess:

• Argentvorax ("silver gorger" - known for speed)
  • Ferrovorax ("iron gorger" - super tough)
  • Stannumvorax ("tin gorger" - wing flaps allowing it to fly/glide)
  • Cuprumvorax ("copper gorger" - unleashes a charge of lightning in its initial attacks)

So, on that note, what would make good variants of the aurumvorax? My feeble guess:

• Argentvorax ("silver gorger" - known for speed)
  • Ferrovorax ("iron gorger" - super tough)
  • Stannumvorax ("tin gorger" - wing flaps allowing it to fly/glide)
  • Cuprumvorax ("copper gorger" - unleashes a charge of lightning in its initial attacks)
  • Plumbumvorax ("lead gorger" - can expel a ballistic pellet from its' rectum)

As for other variant creatures, I always had a soft spot for Minimals (half sized versions of regular animals).

Remove ads