The Batman Trailer

Doug McCrae

Legend
Personally I'd prefer to see them take Batman in more of a 1950s direction, with characters like Bat-Mite and Ace the Bat-Hound. They won't though because they're scared people will say that fifth-dimensional imps and crime-fighting dogs are silly.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I thought Watchmen on HBO handled this brilliantly with their "superheroification" of the police.

Yes, exactly. And that show was set up to put many of the problems with this on display. That was part of the point. I don't think they're going to use a Batman movie to question the ethics of Batman's mode of operation, though.

Maybe this version will actually lean more into the detective part of Batman's character? There's a lot of punching so far.

That could be interesting. The problem you have is that he has to pull some serious Sherlock Holmesian stuff to get out of "cop with no rules" territory. He has to pull off detective feats the way Superman pulls off feats of strength to make that work. I don't know who's ready to try to mix the cerebral character of a really difficult mystery in the middle of a property that's been known for a lot of punching.

GreyLord

Legend
I was under the impression that this movie was based on The Batman series.

It was not the best liked one of the Batman series as it tended to be darker and have a more grim take on Batman. It wasn't until season 4 when they introduced Robin and Batgirl that the series took on a slightly lighter feel.

I found it wasn't as dark as the original Animated Series in actual DARKNESS, or how dark the actual screen was, but it was a tad darker in the themes and the writing.

If it is a reflection of that, the movie should be a little darker than many other Batman creations. As I said, I was under the impression it was based or inspired by that series...but that could be a misperception on my part.

Rikka66

Adventurer
I was under the impression that this movie was based on The Batman series.

It was not the best liked one of the Batman series as it tended to be darker and have a more grim take on Batman. It wasn't until season 4 when they introduced Robin and Batgirl that the series took on a slightly lighter feel.

I found it wasn't as dark as the original Animated Series in actual DARKNESS, or how dark the actual screen was, but it was a tad darker in the themes and the writing.

If it is a reflection of that, the movie should be a little darker than many other Batman creations. As I said, I was under the impression it was based or inspired by that series...but that could be a misperception on my part.

That is in fact a misconception on your part.

Wishbone

Paladin Radmaster
Someone put to words a thing that's been rattling around in my head.

I have no use for a "gritty" Batman movie. Because it amounts to, "What if we just let someone be a cop, but without rules - he gets to beat people up an violate their rights because 'that's what it takes', as if that was a reliable crime-reduction technique, and we will call him a hero." I am not into that. He has body armor and a tank. Cops have body armor and tanks now, Bats, we don't need you. That tiny but really good winch to haul him up a cable? Really? That makes you a superhero?

Give him all the wacky "wonderful toys" and he's a superhero. Without them, his story becomes, "We both have violent mental health issues, but somehow I'm a hero and you are a villain."

If you're pulling from the Sean Kelly Twitter thread I think you are then his ideas there sound like a really compelling seed for a story—especially Joe Chill as dirty cop.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If you're pulling from the Sean Kelly Twitter thread...

Not directly. A friend of mine made a similar comment, and they may have read Kelly.

The problem with Joe Chill as a dirty cop is... do we really want the origin story... AGAIN!?!?

Remove ads