The Batman Trailer

Ryujin

Legend
Just hope they don't combine lower budgets with bad quality (and additionally don't put spectacle over story). A different setup gives companies a chance to change up their formulas.
Except for Hollywood. Evil as can be. If anyone wants the details, you're free to ask, but don't pollute this thread.

You can definitely make a good, low budget movie by making the story compelling. Trying to do a big budget style movie on a shoestring just results in an obviously low budget movie. I'd rather have a good story than a bad CGI 'splosion-fest.

CGI is just another tool for creating special effects. I'm not against the use of CGI. I'm against lazy film making; throwing CGI at the screen in order to make a quick buck.

One of the reasons that effect heavy movies like Justice League look so bad, is because apart from the effects, there is not much else there to enjoy. There is very little vision and craftmanship on the screen, just greed.

I do enjoy a lot of the Marvel movies, because despite them also being heavy on effects, the people making those films care about making a good movie. I can ignore bad or sub-par effects, if the movie manages to draw me in. Most of the Marvel movies have pretty good effects, but there are the occasional hasty effect shots if you pay attention to that sort of thing. Avengers Endgame had some really wonky shots of the Hulk during the finale, and several action scenes in Black Panther looked really bad, like something out of a PS2 game. But we can forgive those flaws, because even if you stripped these movies of all their effects, you'd still be left with a pretty fun movie.

Nolan's Batman trilogy looks so great, because it is a perfect blend of traditional effects (miniatures and sets), and modern effects (CGI). The director cares about the effects as story telling devices, and tries his best to make them look good through his direction and through editing and proper lighting.

Speaking of Labyrinth btw, which @Zardnaar just mentioned. That movie has some computer effects and motion tracking shots that have not aged well at all. It may have been one of the first movies to attempt motion tracking (which is an impressive feat despite the final product), but it looks pretty bad. It is constantly stuttering and is very jarring.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Nolan's Batman trilogy looks so great, because it is a perfect blend of traditional effects (miniatures and sets), and modern effects (CGI). The director cares about the effects as story telling devices, and tries his best to make them look good through his direction and through editing and proper lighting.
I may be wrong, but I'm sure I read somewhere that Nolan insists on everything being in camera. While it may be enhanced with CGI, if you see something, it actually happened. But then I think about stuff like the Skyhook scene in TDK, and that doesn't seem likely. Dunno!

its funny but the teenagers I have/hang at my house are not impressed with the 70/80 special effects of the thing or the exorcist. I rewatched the thing which has a great cast but the monster itself hasn't aged well (for the most part). And for them the Annabelle doll is scarier than the exorcist

The Heath Ledger Batman is the best batman because of Heath Ledgers performance but I am somewhat excited for the new batman

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Someone put to words a thing that's been rattling around in my head.

I have no use for a "gritty" Batman movie. Because it amounts to, "What if we just let someone be a cop, but without rules - he gets to beat people up an violate their rights because 'that's what it takes', as if that was a reliable crime-reduction technique, and we will call him a hero." I am not into that. He has body armor and a tank. Cops have body armor and tanks now, Bats, we don't need you. That tiny but really good winch to haul him up a cable? Really? That makes you a superhero?

Give him all the wacky "wonderful toys" and he's a superhero. Without them, his story becomes, "We both have violent mental health issues, but somehow I'm a hero and you are a villain."

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Someone put to words a thing that's been rattling around in my head.

I have no use for a "gritty" Batman movie. Because it amounts to, "What if we just let someone be a cop, but without rules - he gets to beat people up an violate their rights because 'that's what it takes', as if that was a reliable crime-reduction technique, and we will call him a hero." I am not into that. He has body armor and a tank. Cops have body armor and tanks now, Bats, we don't need you. That tiny but really good winch to haul him up a cable? Really? That makes you a superhero?

Give him all the wacky "wonderful toys" and he's a superhero. Without them, his story becomes, "We both have violent mental health issues, but somehow I'm a hero and you are a villain."

I thought Watchmen on HBO handled this brilliantly with their "superheroification" of the police.

For me, the story of a rich person beating up people became old long ago. I totally understand the appeal of the action side of superhero movies, but I do wish they would find other approaches to solving problems than "I just have to punch him HARDER!"

Maybe this version will actually lean more into the detective part of Batman's character? There's a lot of punching so far.

Man, a Batman version of Columbo would be amazing. "Oh, one more thing Joker... You don't mind me asking you this, right? My wife, Catwoman, has an uncle who loves to go fishing, and the other day he caught this trout with a big smile on its face. Any ideas how it got there?"

Also if this Batman ends the movie by throwing a nuclear bomb through a portal I will drown in my own popcorn.

Remove ads