• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Beast Within [Dark*Matter D20]

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
"I don't remember kids, either, but the file might not be quite up to date. It's not important to the mission, so it shouldn't be anything to worry about." Just that incomplete information here might mean more important things were left out, too.

loxmyth

First Post
"Let's not get too jumpy here," Daunte tells the others. "Maybe it's not her kid. Maybe it's her kid sister, or her nephew, or whatever. Or maybe they're her toys. And either way, Lisa's right. There shouldn't be anything to worry about. She's ex-Hoffman, right?"

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
"Mmm." John shifts nervously on his perch, beating a soft tatoo on his thigh with his fingers. Lisa's sharp. Or a little on the parnoid side. It is also entirely within the realm of possiblity that the two are not mutually exlusive, or, indeed, entirely complimentary....

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Lisa smiles at John. "Sure, I'm a little suspicious, but remember, I was a reporter. I was paid to be suspicious." Wait. Did he actually say that bit about paranoia, or am I just thinking too hard?

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
John blinks. Did I actually say that bit about paranoia? No, I suppose my manner betrayed me. He smiles slightly. "I'm sorry. My mind is perhaps ill suited to cloak-and-dagger."

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Thomas Hobbes said:
John blinks. Did I actually say that bit about paranoia? No, I suppose my manner betrayed me. He smiles slightly. "I'm sorry. My mind is perhaps ill suited to cloak-and-dagger."

"It's looking more like terrycloth bathrobe and nail file, but that's fine by me. Can't say I'm all that fond of having sharp metal things stuck into me."

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Thomas Hobbes said:
"No experience, myself," jokes John, relaxing somewhat but still not doing anything more than sitting on the edge of the couch.

"You're not missing anything. Trust me." Lisa's usual humour is surprisingly absent for a moment, then she collects herself. "So, got any theories as to what's going on?"

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
John pauses momentarily in discomfort and opens his mouth as if to comment, but Lisa has changed the subject and he follows her. He's been thinking for a while about this, and he's fairly certain he's gotten as far as he can with the data he has.

"Well, here's what we know: a bear, or something in the shape of a bear, killed two people near the full moon. It might have been an actual bear, but the facts are that they're non-native to the area, there were no bear escapes, and that it's difficult to just miss a bear if there is one. Also the timing.

"There are two lycanthropes in the area. One's the wrong species, so he's out as a suspect, although he might have some idea of what's going on. The other's the right species, but took the supressants." John frowns. "Something to check, whether we have more than her word on that." He then shrugs. "But she has no motive not to take them."

"So if it was most likely a lycanthrope and none of the local ones fit, then it must be an out-of-towner. We check for people who arrived before the full moon before the attacks and didn't leave until after. Or are still around." He leans forward, resting his elbows on his knees and his chin on his folded hands. "What do you think? Does it all work?"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads