The Best Game for A Long Campaign

If you're intending to run a long campaign, I think it's a mistake to use a game that is tightly focussed on one particular style or mode of play. A long campaign will evolve, IME, and a highly specific game system will start to get in the way after a while.

The most successful long campaigns I've participated in were an occult WWII campaign (2007-2021) and a multiverse exploration game (2011-2020), both run under GURPS 4e.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Honestly, I've run and played in a number of long (multi-year) fantasy campaigns using AD&D 1e. These days, I'd use either OSRIC or Jeff Talanian's Hyperborea for that. Both of these games bring the best parts of AD&D 1e to the table while dumping the cruft and adding some much needed clarification and revision. Hyperborea is, of course, a S&S variant while OSRIC is a faithful high fantasy recreation.

Rolemaster FRP/SS is also a strong contender for me. I've recently re-acquired the core rules, monster book, and Spell Law (RMSS version via eBay). All you really need is the core rules, but the other books are handy for expanded descriptions of their particular topics (note that the RMSS version of Spell Law is 99.8% compatible with RMFRP - if you're just buying it for the expanded spell descriptions, you're golden).

We ran years-long campaigns with D&D3, so I would argue that even an ill-fitted system is possible :). But if I were to pick a new system, I would use something with slow, but noticeable mechanical advancement and at least a medium level of complexity concerning character modeling. Examples would Year Zero games (thinking mainly of Forbidden Lands here, because I have played it most), BRP-based systems like (Pulp) Cthulhu, Savage Worlds or, if we want to stay in the D&D world, B/X D&D.
My personal preference for campaigns is between one and two years, though, so I haven't run or played a longer campaign in the last 8 years. Prior to that, besides the aforementioned D&D3, I played longer campaigns in Shadowrun (2e) and Ars Magica (4e). I'm not sure if I would recommend starting a new game with either of them, though.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
We ran years-long campaigns with D&D3, so I would argue that even an ill-fitted system is possible :). But if I were to pick a new system, I would use something with slow, but noticeable mechanical advancement and at least a medium level of complexity concerning character modeling. Examples would Year Zero games (thinking mainly of Forbidden Lands here, because I have played it most), BRP-based systems like (Pulp) Cthulhu, Savage Worlds or, if we want to stay in the D&D world, B/X D&D.
My personal preference for campaigns is between one and two years, though, so I haven't run or played a longer campaign in the last 8 years. Prior to that, besides the aforementioned D&D3, I played longer campaigns in Shadowrun (2e) and Ars Magica (4e). I'm not sure if I would recommend starting a new game with either of them, though.
I did play many of the Paizo APs for a decade with a regular group. Typically, it would take us 2 years to finish one playing bi-weekly. So, it seemed shy of the OPs request, but there is no reason 3E/PF1 couldnt do it.

I did play many of the Paizo APs for a decade with a regular group. Typically, it would take us 2 years to finish one playing bi-weekly. So, it seemed shy of the OPs request, but there is no reason 3E/PF1 couldnt do it.
I guess it depends on how much you like high-level play. For me, the sweet spot of 3e was always level 3 to 12. And I rarely played above 14. And with that constraint, you more or less have to use milestone leveling (and everybody needs to be okay with a slower than normal progression). Still you have a point: depending on preferences 3e and PF1 do not need to be ruled out.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I guess it depends on how much you like high-level play. For me, the sweet spot of 3e was always level 3 to 12. And I rarely played above 14. And with that constraint, you more or less have to use milestone leveling (and everybody needs to be okay with a slower than normal progression). Still you have a point: depending on preferences 3e and PF1 do not need to be ruled out.
For the APs, we always stopped around 12-14. We didnt really like high level. However, I could play an E6 campaign for 5 years easy if the group is into it. So, I dont think levels qualify or disqualify a system alone.

I would say something with slow or no advancement would be key.
The first game that came to mind for me was the TSR Marvel Superheroes game. Character improvement was handled by earning karma by performing heroic deeds and then either using it to directly increase your primary stats, develop new creative new ways to use your powers (power stunts), or even develop new powers. They were all fairly costly to do and karma was also used to modify bad dice rolls if you really wanted to succeed on a check so saving up karma to improve your character was a lengthy process. You could play the same hero forever as long as the GM can keep going without worrying about running out of things to do on your character.

Remove ads