D&D General The Best Non-D&D System for Each D&D Setting

Aldarc

Legend
Great thread!

13th Age for Dragonlance. It delivers the type of big damn heroes you see in Dragonlance's epic fantasy, and the Icon system could model the forces at play in the War of the Lance. 13th Age often has a gonzo tone, but that has more to do with the voice of the authors than the system itself.

Cortex could also work for Dragonlance, too.
13th Age was created by the lead designers of 3e and 4e D&D to be something of a hybrid system, so 13th Age basically falls in the practically D&D category.

ChaosOS

Legend
Re: Eberron - Keith Baker is good friends with Kristian Serrano, who wrote the Eberron for Savage Worlds conversion and up until recently was a co-host of the Manifest Zone Podcast.

For Dark Sun I'd say Savage Worlds as well, but afaik lots of folks at that point jump over to Dragon Kings, which is by the same folks just not under the D&D/WotC banner.

GlassJaw

Hero
Savage Worlds is great, especially for low-magic/sword & sorcery settings. There are a few products for that genre too: Beasts and Barbarians, Lankhmar, and Solomon Kane to name a few.

SW is great for any low-magic setting really. The magic system is incredibly modular and not tied to classes (SW uses skill-based advancement) so it's really easy to tailor the rules so the setting.

Aldarc

Legend
For Dark Sun I'd say Savage Worlds as well, but afaik lots of folks at that point jump over to Dragon Kings, which is by the same folks just not under the D&D/WotC banner.
I would also consider Paleomythic for Dark Sun as that is a setting specifically designed for "no metal." The only modifications needed would be for defiling/preserving magic and psionics.

DnD Warlord

Adventurer
World of Darkness 2e for dark sun

wait hear me out...
Use the base mortal mechanics but graft on some vampire disciplines to duplicate psychic and such... throw in some werewolf gifts as life shaped items
Finally. Use mage rules for magic but instead of paradox and quintessence use the drawing from the land.

DnD Warlord

Adventurer
Savage Worlds is great, especially for low-magic/sword & sorcery settings. There are a few products for that genre too: Beasts and Barbarians, Lankhmar, and Solomon Kane to name a few.

SW is great for any low-magic setting really. The magic system is incredibly modular and not tied to classes (SW uses skill-based advancement) so it's really easy to tailor the rules so the setting.
Orginal dead lands rules for raven loft

Remove ads