The Best Thing About HeroQuest ...

... is getting your Mythic pledge!

I never played HQ back in the day -- came out after I was beyond "that age" and had been playing "serious" RPGs for many years. But when the re-release was announced I figured I'd get in -- looked like a fun gateway game plus it would provide some entertaining minis to paint (and easy reuse for D&D).

I'm impressed! Yeah, it's a simple hack & slash dungeon crawler (the original, I guess, if we forget about TSR's Dungeon!). They do a good job overlaying a decent about of exploration and the customizability and expandability is great, so I can forgive it its simpler base mechanics. Seems a great way to grab people who might be familiar with board games and gradually move them into RPGs.

So for HeroQuest veterans, what are your best memories of the game, and what did you do to tailor it with house rules and your own adventures?

Oh, obligatory:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
... is getting your Mythic pledge!

I never played HQ back in the day -- came out after I was beyond "that age" and had been playing "serious" RPGs for many years. But when the re-release was announced I figured I'd get in -- looked like a fun gateway game plus it would provide some entertaining minis to paint (and easy reuse for D&D).

I'm impressed! Yeah, it's a simple hack & slash dungeon crawler (the original, I guess, if we forget about TSR's Dungeon!). They do a good job overlaying a decent about of exploration and the customizability and expandability is great, so I can forgive it its simpler base mechanics. Seems a great way to grab people who might be familiar with board games and gradually move them into RPGs.

So for HeroQuest veterans, what are your best memories of the game, and what did you do to tailor it with house rules and your own adventures?

Oh, obligatory:

We used to jokingly call the Chaos critters “Chowse [critter]”.

Mirtek

Hero
The best thing about Hero Quest is the German version of it's sister game Star Quest (Space Crusade in some countries).

Due to strict German youth protection laws at that time the manual is so hilarious harmless and friendly with every description.

Not a single weapon is deadly, not a single opponent is alive (and even so still doesn't get harmed anyway) and the space marines are only out to fight for human rights. It's the original brighthammer

Zardnaar

Legend
Loved it sold the game and 4 expansion packs for something like $40 bucks.

Had Witchlord, Keller's Keep, Ogrehorde the one after Ogre Horde. Bought mist of it cheap or presents.

Still have Space Crusade and Mission Dreadnought.

Today my Hero Quest is in my brother's home, for my nieces, she is 10y and he only 4. Maybe I buy the translated edition this month if God allows this to be possible.

I have heard the next expansion will be the Frozen Horror, but this wasn't published in my land. Will we see the wizard and the dwarf quest packs any time?

I had liked to buy the knights, but it was too expensive, I would rather my first languange, and they were bought too quick by possible speculators.

mf81mm482ab81.png

Last edited:

Remove ads